La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Variety is dogshit when it comes to weekend predictions based on matinee or whatever they are using. They constantly overestimate movies they stan for (Age of Ultron, nuff said, anyone remembers those weekly overestimations?). That 6-ishM Arrival number clearly didn't take into consideration that it gained over 400 theaters this weekend. 8M sounds right.

Variety doesn't stan for anything, LOL, unless you're talking about studio movies at large. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A movie based on a video game has a plot?

And this is the problem with video game adaptations. There are games out there with plots that exceed 90% of modern blockbusters, but if you don't play games you'd never know that based on Hollywood's shittacular treatment of video games to film. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And this is the problem with video game adaptations. There are games out there with plots that exceed 90% of modern blockbusters, but if you don't play games you'd never know that based on Hollywood's shittacular treatment of video games to film. 

They're great plots for video games, but I don't know if they can translate well to a movie. I mean, Grand Theft Auto is popular for its creative missions and large world to explore, but its  characters aren't exactly multidimensional and story beats are pretty much lifted from every gangster film of the past thirty years 

19 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

They're great plots for video games, but I don't know if they can translate well to a movie. I mean, Grand Theft Auto is popular for its creative missions and large world to explore, but its  characters aren't exactly multidimensional and story beats are pretty much lifted from every gangster film of the past thirty years 

GTA would certainly not be an example I'd use for "great video game plot and characters" Tons of RPGs out there with great plots/characters, most Naughty Dog games, most Valve games, Bioshock games, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

But Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time had a kickass story and characters, and they still managed to screw it all up for the movie. So even with the right game they can't seem to get it right. I still think it's because no good filmmaker wants to truly take them seriously as films, which is annoying. CBMs were a joke once too until filmmakers started realizing their potential.  

Edited by MovieMan89

5 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Man, if that number holds FB is a.....

wait for it......

BEAST!!!

Haha!!  See what I did there.      :ph34r:   :P

Fantastic!

• Like 2

Deadline is saying that Jackie is on track for a $37K weekend. That...would not be a great start tbh. Especially when the movie is supposedly not very mainstream-friendly and FS is clearly banking on awards buzz (which is looking questionable outside of Portman after this week) with the slow rollout they have planned (it's gonna be in 200 theaters at most by Christmas Day).

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadline is saying that Jackie is on track for a $37K weekend. That...would not be a great start tbh. Especially when the movie is supposedly not very mainstream-friendly and FS is clearly banking on awards buzz (which is looking questionable outside of Portman after this week) with the slow rollout they have planned (it's gonna be in 200 theaters at most by Christmas Day).

I thought it was a 37K PTA? OUCH

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It is a $37K PTA, forgot to include that. It's on par with Brooklyn, but that kind of start was more impressive for that movie than it is for this one.

It's a good start. Get off your high horse, filmlover :lol: 

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's a good start. Get off your high horse, filmlover :lol: 

Silencio, child.

But in all honesty, I thought $60K+ PTA was easily achievable given the buzz, even if it's been tampered a bit (the MC score has gone from being in the 90s after the festival premiere three months ago to 79 now FYI).

• Like 1

The "too cold" criticisms that are being heavily brought up in regards of Jackie are reminding me of Foxcatcher. I'm sure it'll make more than that movie did ($12M) but if I had to guess, it won't be by much without major awards recognition beyond Portman's nomination to propel it.