FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

I'm not judging. lol.  I find Illumination's stuff kind of bland but it's basically harmless.  I'm just talking about how marketing plays a big role in the numbers they get.

Pulling this from the Thursday thread, because it'll be archived soon.

6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Missed all the Donnie Yen talk earlier, but I think his character was a great idea, likable, and criminally underused yet still managed to be the best character in the movie along with the droid.  As for the reason he was cast, I don't necessarily think he himself was cast to pander to the Chinese market, but I definitely think the generic big gun guy was.  I would've scrapped pointless generic big gun guy's character entirely and given all of his screen time to Donnie Yen so they could've done more with him.  Like, give him more action scenes and scenes that tell us more about him.

I have to disagree with this. The two characters work together from a storytelling perspective in a way that wouldn't be possible if they had been combined, and they do so to serve a very important purpose: these are the characters through which the Force is viewed in the film.

(I'm going to try to keep this entirely spoiler free. If I stray to far, someone can spoiler tag it.)

If you take the bare plot of the film, it's actually something that could be told without any reference to the Force whatsoever. The Saga films are all about the Force. It's the primary motivation for the Skywalker clan stories, and as such, the characters are heavily steeped in it. The moments of Force skepticism come pretty much entirely from Han Solo in episode IV. After that, everyone's a believer, because everyone is around actual Force users. (This skepticism could have been revisited in TFA with Rey, but they didn't really do anything there, so when Han gives it "it's true, all of it" speech, it feels out of left field; he's arguing against something that isn't stated.)

So Rogue One could have been told without any Force reference, but because it's a large step removed, they actually had a great advantage: they can show what belief in the Force is like for people who don't experience it every day.

And thus we have Chirrut and Baze. They're paired characters, but they're done in terms of contrasts. We've got the blind and sighted. The believer and the skeptic. The monk and the soldier. Short and long hair. And so on and so forth. By doing the characters in this way, the film presents a dualistic view of the Force. Everything about Chirrut's fervent belief in the Force, and himself being part of it, is contrasted with Baze's disregard. But despite their fundamental differences, the two are partners, have a caring and close relationship, and shore up the other's shortcomings.

If you removed Baze from the equation, you'd still have Donnie Yen's badass Zaitoichi, yes, but he'd just be a believer with a few more action scenes, not a part of an active, philosophical dialogue. His faith in the Force needs that questioning presence. He would be considerably less interesting without Baze to provide that contrast. Adding a bit of didactic exposition to explain his character wouldn't be better.

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

- snip - 

I think a lot has to do with which expectations someone has before going into a film. As one point out of many points.

If the critics went in, not expecting much/a lot e.g. based on hype... then they might be 'happy/not happy' it to be better / worse than expected.... and so on. Audience is often expecting something else based on e.g. RT or fandom of the story or the director or... and can judge from a very other POV... or they match ~ the reviewers, depends a lot on the GA's POV to the film/franchise beforehand too I think.

I am the wrong one to discuss comedy with, I do not like comedy as a genre (nor horror, nor romance, but have some exceptions out of those genres I can enjoy beside them being mainly belonging to those genres) and also not the media form of animation.

I'd never would do a rating/enjoyment thing for any of those, as I know I do not like those - not neutral enough.

In the end it looks like you have too often another opinion than the average of often over 350 international reviewers and seem to have a problem with that. I'd simply avoid the website in your case.

I look into it for other reasons (see theoretically impact of...), and judge for myself every film I watch, I have a problem with a hand-full of those reviewers (max. 5 out of waaaay over 400 reviewers I am sure that at least are gotten accepted there, I never counted them, it might be in the thousands too), as they are in my POV too predictable in their ratings (good - middle - bad = too strongly about gender of the leads or the genre of the film), but accept, that the others often have a complete other POV then I do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I have to disagree with this. The two characters work together from a storytelling perspective in a way that wouldn't be possible if they had been combined, and they do so to serve a very important purpose: these are the characters through which the Force is viewed in the film.

(I'm going to try to keep this entirely spoiler free. If I stray to far, someone can spoiler tag it.)

If you take the bare plot of the film, it's actually something that could be told without any reference to the Force whatsoever. The Saga films are all about the Force. It's the primary motivation for the Skywalker clan stories, and as such, the characters are heavily steeped in it. The moments of Force skepticism come pretty much entirely from Han Solo in episode IV. After that, everyone's a believer, because everyone is around actual Force users. (This skepticism could have been revisited in TFA with Rey, but they didn't really do anything there, so when Han gives it "it's true, all of it" speech, it feels out of left field; he's arguing against something that isn't stated.)

So Rogue One could have been told without any Force reference, but because it's a large step removed, they actually had a great advantage: they can show what belief in the Force is like for people who don't experience it every day.

And thus we have Chirrut and Baze. They're paired characters, but they're done in terms of contrasts. We've got the blind and sighted. The believer and the skeptic. The monk and the soldier. Short and long hair. And so on and so forth. By doing the characters in this way, the film presents a dualistic view of the Force. Everything about Chirrut's fervent belief in the Force, and himself being part of it, is contrasted with Baze's disregard. But despite their fundamental differences, the two are partners, have a caring and close relationship, and shore up the other's shortcomings.

If you removed Baze from the equation, you'd still have Donnie Yen's badass Zaitoichi, yes, but he'd just be a believer with a few more action scenes, not a part of an active, philosophical dialogue. His faith in the Force needs that questioning presence. He would be considerably less interesting without Baze to provide that contrast. Adding a bit of didactic exposition to explain his character wouldn't be better.

You knocked it out of the park, as usual. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Woah @ Sing. Might end up with 300m after all if it pulls near 45 this weekend. I wish Moana had gotten its release spot now. :(

Studios are going to be taking note, as Sing is proving that is a very viable blockbuster release slot. 

Sad Moana will very likely miss 300 million:( ($250 million is a very good number though:)), but at least that would make 2016 have 10 films grossing over $300 million domestically B)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sal said:

I'm not judging. lol.  I find Illumination's stuff kind of bland but it's basically harmless.  I'm just talking about how marketing plays a big role in the numbers they get.

Marketing can only take you so far. Marketing will get you a good opening weekend. Marketing can get people to want to go see your movie. But after that it only depends on word-of-mouth and what people think of it and so on. Sing may have good marketing but it really didn't help it in its opening few days. That is definitely a film where it's numbers spread over the holidays but at the same time you can't deny that the huge grosses that it's having day to day is obviously from word-of-mouth. Kids loved it and that's why its doing so well. I mean...do u think Disney and Pixar lack in marketing? Lmfao

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I'm wet.

This is beautiful.

• Like 3

Slightly underwhelming Friday jump for R1... but still looking good for a 550M finish.

But what an year Disney has been having! Total box office receipts should hit $3B mark, if only just:

By 18th Dec, Disney's tally was 2700.5M according to BOM. By 29th Dec, R1, Moana and DS added another 259.6M, so the total became 2960.1M. Only 40M was needed for Fri+Sat.

Friday came in at 18M+/4M+/0.25M for the three films, so about 22.5M.

Saturday should come in at 15M/3M/0.2M = 18-18.5M

Total 2016 gross = 3000.5M-3001M.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

Sad Moana will very likely miss 300 million:( ($250 million is a very good number though:)), but at least that would make 2016 have 10 films grossing over $300 million domestically B)

From all the big kiddie movies this year, Moana will be the weakest. Even more so at the OS-BO. But still, good numbers. 2016 is surely the biggest year animation ever had. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fake said:

Slightly underwhelming Friday jump for R1... but still looking good for a 550M finish.

But what an year Disney has been having! Total box office receipts should hit $3B mark, if only just:

By 18th Dec, Disney's tally was 2700.5M according to BOM. By 29th Dec, R1, Moana and DS added another 259.6M, so the total became 2960.1M. Only 40M was needed for Fri+Sat.

Friday came in at 18M+/4M+/0.25M for the three films, so about 22.5M.

Saturday should come in at 15M/3M/0.2M = 18-18.5M

Total 2016 gross = 3000.5M-3001M.

That was close

Luckily rogue one released 2 days earlier than TFA, 2 more days of its gross counted into 2016

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

From all the big kiddie movies this year, Moana will be the weakest. Even more so at the OS-BO. But still, good numbers. 2016 is surely the biggest year animation ever had. 

Just ran the math, before this weekend, all animated wide releases in 2016 combine to 2,226 million. Add Sing/Moana/Trolls totals for this weekend, and it will fall just short of 2300, and a bit over 20% of total yearly DOM. That's an astounding number and even adjusting by inflation, I can't think of any year that could compete with that. I believe this is a record that will stay for quite some time, imho.

• Like 2

I guess that Sing over Moana club is a lock now, I didn't expect that. But to be fair, I thought both would go over 300m, with Moana grossing just a bit more. I guess I was right about one of them at least as I think Sing will get to 300m from here.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

Top grossing titles for the weekend of Dec. 30, 2016-Jan. 2, 2017 per industry estimates as of Friday night:

1.) Rogue One  (DIS), 4,157 theaters  (0)/$18.1M Fri. (-21%) / 3-day cume: $50.6M (-21%)/4-day:$65.4M /Total: $442M/Wk 3

2.) Sing (UNI), 4,029 theaters (+7)  /$16.9M Fri. (+30%) / 3-day cume: $43.7M (+24%)/4-day:$57.7M /Total: $180.6M/Wk 2

3.) Passengers  (SONY/VR), 3,478 theaters (0)  /$5.6M Fri (+25%) /3-day: $15.2M (+1%)/4-day: $19.2M/Total: $64.4M/Wk 2

4.) Moana  (DIS), 2,775 Theaters (+88) / $4.2M (+44%) Fri. /3-day: $10.6M (+38%)/4-day: $14.1M/Total: $213.1M/Wk 6

5.) Fences (PAR) 2,301 theaters (+68) /$3.5M (+13500%) Fri/3-day:$10.1M (+53%)/4-day: $12.7M/Total:$32.3M/Wk 3

6.) La La Land (Lionsgate) 750 (+16) /$3.1M Fri (+210%) /3-day:$9.1M (+60%)/4-day:$11.6M/Total: $36.4M/ Wk 4

7.) Why Him?  (FOX), 3,008 theaters (+91)  /$3.3M Fri (-15%) / 3-day:$8.8M (-20%)/4-day:$11.3M/Total: $35.9M/Wk 2

8.) Assassin’s Creed  (FOX), 2,996 theaters (+26) /$3M Fri. (-20%)/3-day:$7.5M (-27%)/4-day:$9.5M/Total: $40.6M/Wk 2

9).Manchester by the Sea (RSA/AMZ) 1,206 theaters  (-7)/$1.23M (+35%) Fri  /3-day: $4M (+46%)/4-day: $5.2M/Total: $29.4M/Wk 7

10.)  Collateral Beauty  (WB/NL), 2,745 theaters (-283)  /$1.36M Fri. (+10%) /3-day:$3.7M (-12%)/4-day:$4.7M/Total: $26.4M/Wk 3

Notables:

Hidden Figures (Fox/Chernin) 25 theaters/$275K Fri/3-day: $910K/4-day PTA: $48K/4-day: $1.1M/Total: $2.7M

Patriot’s Day  (CBS/LG), 7 theaters  /$46k Fri (-13%)/3-day: $130K (-19%)/4-day PTA: $23,7K/4-day: $166K/Total: $647k/Wk 2

20th Century Women (AP/A24) 4 theaters/$40K Fri/3-day: $126K/4-day PTA: $40,3k/4-day:$161k/Total: $229K/Wk 1

Silence  (PAR), 4 theaters  /$29k Fri. (-55%) /3-day:$79K (-40%)/4-day PTA: $25K/4-day:$100K/Total: $327K/ Wk 2

Julieta  (SPC), 4 theaters  /$15k Fri. (-18%)  /3-day:$39k/4-day PTA: $16,5K/4-day:$49k/Total: $200K/ Wk 2

Live by Night  (WB), 4 theaters  /$11k Fri.  /3-day:$31k/4-day:$39k/Total: $114K/ Wk 2

A Monster Calls  (FOC), 4 theaters  /$7K Fri. (-55%)/3-day:$21K (-31%)/4-day:$27K/Total:$79K/Wk 2

• Like 13

Marketing matters. Of course everyone says Kubo was great, but I had to sit through that piece of shit trailer repeatedly and every line was painful, unfunny, and the movie looked extremely kiddy. Frankly it looked awful. I'm sure it's a good movie don't get me wrong but fire the marketing department.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Marketing matters. Of course everyone says Kubo was great, but I had to sit through that piece of shit trailer repeatedly and every line was painful, unfunny, and the movie looked extremely kiddy. Frankly it looked awful. I'm sure it's a good movie don't get me wrong but fire the marketing department.

I understand what you said. I loved the trailer and didn't thought it kiddy, I found it was a bit dark for childreen. Marketing here in my country it was terrible, starting by release date. I had to wait 2 fucking months to watch it.