FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

36 minutes ago, yjs said:

I didn't think I would but I happened to catch Sing with two friends and we felt lowkey insulted by 

Hide contents

the red pandas.. but maybe we were being sensitive Asians. 

but other than that it was harmless, I guess. 

lol my friends thought the gang group and the kid with the

Spoiler

dad in jail

being portrayed as gorillas was side eye worthy. Even though they had english accents I can kinda see her point. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

I believe they needed something like 17.5m - 20m from the 31st in order to make 3b in the calendar year.  So they'll wind up just short.

They need a bit under $17.1.  Empire said early today that Rogue did $14.5m and Moana did enough to break the record.

• Like 7

Sing's OS total isn't great but it does still have a few markets left. I did think it might do $300-350m OS but it might just miss it unless it overperforms in the remaining markets 

Edited by Jonwo

I believe they needed something like 17.5m - 20m from the 31st in order to make 3b in the calendar year.  So they'll wind up just short.

If the estimates from Friday hold, they need $17.05something (exact amount twice in this thread), let's say $17.06m

4 films... o.K., one of those is veeerrrryyy small.

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Can you please for once also look into Moana, Doctor Strange... = it is about if Disney might reach the $3b incl Saturday or not

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

How much total did they need to reach it?

4 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

If we include the 14.5m for RO, they needed about 2.5-3m from the other two, I believe. I don't know the exact number, though.

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

They made it to $3b total.  

2 minutes ago

ALLIED: $47.1M Overseas Total / $86.7M Global Total

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm really interested in the overseas numbers particularly in non English speaking countries where our critics don't seem to have as much impact.  I've heard decent things about Russia, I think, but I want something official.

Do you know there's an International topic here, right? 

Passengers was at $6.7m as Thursday.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Is Sony holding the numbers again?

I don't know about that.  I see stuff elsewhere but that BoxOffice twitter account doesn't usually post Passengers even when I see them elsewhere.  Maybe what I'm seeing are estimates and they are waiting for final numbers?  I'm actually kind of puzzled about it.

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Do you know there's an International topic here, right? 

Passengers was at $6.7m as Thursday.

Thank you!  I know they are there but I have a harder time finding information on a specific film, just because I am not used to them.  In the China thread there seems to be stuff on presales but last time I looked there weren't numbers on Passengers presales yet.  They had just finalized the opening date there, though, at the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Is Sony holding the numbers again?

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I don't know about that.  I see stuff elsewhere but that BoxOffice twitter account doesn't usually post Passengers even when I see them elsewhere.  Maybe what I'm seeing are estimates and they are waiting for final numbers?  I'm actually kind of puzzled about it.

neither WB nor Sony gave any update since including Christmas

Also some of the smaller ones.

Like last year...

• Like 2

Passengers' OS:

Passengers is eyeing a $55M-$60M cume through the weekend abroad... through Sunday (including Roadshow in Australia).  .

were good in France and Spain. In the former, solid audience reaction resulted in a $1.14M debut including previews. In Spain — where I am currently, and where the posters are ubiquitous — the debut on Friday was $710K for the No. 2 slot,  landing on par with The Martian and above sci-fi comps like Interstellar and Edge Of Tomorrow

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-sing-great-wall-passengers-new-year-weekend-box-office-international-1201877387/

• Like 4

In light of the January 1st holiday, all studios will not be reporting weekend international box office today. However, much of what we are seeing across the three-day shows increases from last weekend which was affected by Christmas Eve and Day falling on Saturday and Sunday. Universal is among those providing an update, noting that Illumination’s Sing is bellowing past the $100M international mark tomorrow. That will bring the worldwide cume close to $300M with plenty of rollout left overseas.

... with domestic estimates is already well past the $700M milestone this weekend with international not yet factored. Per Disney UK, it (SW R1) has become the biggest movie of 2016 in that market — which is currently the top ex-North America hub.

In the UK, Rogue has made away with £50.7M ($62.6M). That takes it past Fantastic Beasts... (est. £50.65M through December 31) to notch the No. 1 spot of the year after just 17 days in release.

The Great Wall In China, a worldwide warchest of $151.6M through today. In China, the estimated 3rd weekend was $15.4M for a $145.4M cume to date (local estimates have it a bit higher). Elsewhere, the rollout in other Asian markets is healthy at $6.2M. That takes the full weekend to $21.6M.

opened No. 1 in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey. In HK, the total was $852K at 40 dates for 21% of the market. Malaysia’s No. 1 was $1.3M at 131 with 42% share, and coming in ahead of Jackie Chan-starrer Railroad Tigers. Similarly, Singapore grossed $1.2M with 41% of the market and also ahead of Railroad Tigers. Taiwan took $1.4M at 84 dates, topping the debut of Assassin’s Creed.

Hacksaw Ridge has now amassed an estimated cume there of just under $53M. Paramount’s Arrival has also landed across the $150M mark worldwide.

After its second frame, Sony’s Passengers is eyeing a $55M-$60M cume through the weekend abroad.

Sing...$24.3M in 56 territories through today. With a $97.8M offshore gross, the Garth Jennings-helmed pic will pass $100M tomorrow. It’s estimated that the worldwide total through Monday will be $281.3M

AC  ...another $22M in 49 markets... international cume is now $44.1M. Debuts were strong in Germany ($5.3M/No. 2); the UAE ($1.4M/No. 1), and India ($1M/top MPA title). France dipped just 21% for a $10.6M cume and Belgium rose by 1% for a $1.4M cume to date. Other major cumes include Spain’s $4.86M.

Allied added another $5M in 34 markets to bring the cume to $47.1M overseas. Australia had a good start at No. 4 with $3.8M at 232 locations. Germany’s second weekend saw a 49% increase from last weekend at 301 sites for a $1.4M cume.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-sing-great-wall-passengers-new-year-weekend-box-office-international-1201877387/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yjs said:

I didn't think I would but I happened to catch Sing with two friends and we felt lowkey insulted by 

Hide contents

the red pandas.. but maybe we were being sensitive Asians. 

but other than that it was harmless, I guess. 

We need to consult @MrPink about this. How does this make you feel?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Passengers' OS:

Passengers is eyeing a $55M-$60M cume through the weekend abroad... through Sunday (including Roadshow in Australia).  .

were good in France and Spain. In the former, solid audience reaction resulted in a $1.14M debut including previews. In Spain — where I am currently, and where the posters are ubiquitous — the debut on Friday was $710K for the No. 2 slot,  landing on par with The Martian and above sci-fi comps like Interstellar and Edge Of Tomorrow

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-sing-great-wall-passengers-new-year-weekend-box-office-international-1201877387/

I have no idea if that's good or bad. :huh:

19 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

So what are we thinking for R1's total? $540M-$555M?

Tough to tell at the moment. We'll have a better idea once we see the coming first post-holiday week's numbers.

Disney crossed the 3 Billion Dollar mark in a single year and they didn't bother to release even a short statement. What a confident mood!! they are killing everything  this year. 2016 is to remember for Disney and the film industry where a single studio managed such a big feat.

• Like 3