Hail, Caesar!

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Moonlight

Patriots Day

Silence

Sully

with 7/11 being nominated for BP.  if it follows this, then I’d think the 7 that would be nommed for BP are The Post, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Florida Project, and Phantom Thread (with the 8th and 9th noms being Shape of Water and Three Billboards) (and if we're going for 10 noms throw Darkest Hour in there)

Edited by That One Guy

I should have never ever doubted the Berg. 

Also holy shit for fucks sake CMBYN and Moonlight are only similar because they feature gay people. Period. This dude would be getting heated if we compared two of his precious sci to movies. Independence Day and Gravity are as similar as these two.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

last year was:

Manchester by the Sea

Arrival

Hacksaw Ridge

Hail, Caesar!

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Moonlight

Patriots Day

Silence

Sully

with 7/11 being nominated for BP.  if it follows this, then I’d think the 7 that would be nommed for BP are The Post, Call Me by Your Name, Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, Florida Project, and Phantom Thread (with the 8th and 9th noms being Shape of Water and Three Billboards) (and if we're going for 10 noms throw Darkest Hour in there)

How dare you doubt the beautiful and wonderful Franco, you disgusting pig.

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

three billboard might be in trouble now, the shape of water also completely ignored.

it's one award chill. reminder that A Most Violent Year swept the NBR one time and everyone was all "this is totally a thing now!" and then it never was anywhere.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Also Post and Spotlight are both about completely different elements of journalism with kinda sorta different points. They're certainly more similar than Moonlight and CMBYN which aren't remotely similar at all but they're still less similar than like...alot of genre movies people who "get up in arms" about message movies  beg to win awards every year. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

banned? I never said banned. I said they are repetitive. On what planet repetitive = banned? 

So their number one concern when selecting the best picture should be "do we have varied genres compared to previous years" and not "which is the best film"?

• Thanks 1

The winner is probably going to be The Post or Three Billboards with an outside chance at CMBYN or Lady Bird. Dunkirk, Get Out, and SOW all have a shot too but have pretty big things going against them:

Dunkirk won't have screenplay or acting nominations

Get Out could have as little as two nominations (Picture/Screenplay)

Shape of Water will have the majority if not all of its techs stolen and might have no acting/screenplay nominations

14 hours ago, Ithil said:

So their number one concern when selecting the best picture should be "do we have varied genres compared to previous years" and not "which is the best film"?

if that's the only criteria than great cause Get Out is the best movie out of contenders. Finally a genre film will win, woot-woot!:bravo:

BTW, just because critics are not going gaga-go for TSOW it doesn't mean that GG, Guilds and BAFTA may not turn its fortunes around. It was never a critics movie anyway. 

I do hope critics continue to awards Gerwig and Peele cause they need all support they can get. 

Edited by Valonqar

37 minutes ago, AndyK said:

She's always hypersensitive, but I kind of agree with her sentiment here, when there are so many female driven films in contention, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards, The Florida Project, I Tonya etc.  Something's got to give......

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

if that's the only criteria than great cause Get Out is the best movie out of contenders. Finally a genre film will win, woot-woot!:bravo:

BTW, just because critics are not going gaga-go for TSOW it doesn't mean that GG, Guilds and BAFTA may not turn its fortunes around. It was never a critics movie anyway. 

I do hope critics continue to awards Gerwig and Peele cause they need all support they can get. 

How many of the likely BP nominees have you actually seen?

I think I, Tonya, Phantom Thread and The Disaster Artist are all close to a nomination.  They're getting a fair amount of love so far.

I also think Franco is going to get a BA nom.  If the Academy doesn't go for Oldman, then it's a fairly open race between him, Chalamet and Hanks. (As of now, we'll get a clearer picture when SAG comes in.  If they snub Darkest Hour, then it's out, as acting noms are its strongest bets)