grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, you guys say this looks bad? I have this OVER The Batman club. Another misfire by me 😭

Wait. you actually believe this will gross > 370m domestic or 770m+ WW. I dont think any of the characters are that well known and while Rock is a star I doubt he can this to mega blockbuster territory. Something lik 150 dom/ 300 OS should be a great benchmark if its received well. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wait. you actually believe this will gross > 370m domestic or 770m+ WW. I dont think any of the characters are that well known and while Rock is a star I doubt he can this to mega blockbuster territory. Something lik 150 dom/ 300 OS should be a great benchmark if its received well. 

I think this will smoke 150M pretty fast. I have it at OVER 300M domestic easily with a chance to beat The Batman

It was kinda boring. Always thought Dwayne should have opted for Shazam over Black Adam, and this trailer hasn't changed my opinion on that much.

Hopefully the second trailer that features the other characters turns out to be stronger. Coz right now for me The Rock as Black Adam isn't a big draw by himself.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Schedule is so dead in October it'll probably do pretty decent by default.

This trailer didn't really move the needle for me.

Yeah, but it has Black Panther on its third week, which might kill its legs.

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

just hoping dr fate it's not a copy cat of strange powers wise

I mean he looks a lot like him visually powers wise. I mean I seriously thought this was a marvel movie at first. I guess DC realised that drab colour isn't it.

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I mean he looks a lot like him visually powers wise. I mean I seriously thought this was a marvel movie at first. I guess DC realised that drab colour isn't it.

it's magic they should be more creative imo

25 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Yeah, but it has Black Panther on its third week, which might kill its legs.

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Actually, that’s currently scheduled to come out on its fourth week. 

Weird to me the movie hasn't moved up to the first weekend of October already. They're just wasting valuable real estate here.

1 hour ago, SupermanLego said:

Is it me or is Black Adam getting not traction at all. All of it's social media, youtube, instagram views are bad/mediocre for such a big movie ??

I think the mandate to make every movie standalone is hurting the DCEU. The Suicide Squad also suffered from a lack of online hype. People who saw the previous DC movies have no reason to be excited for Black Adam. It will act almost like an original film, because the characters are unknown to general audiences and DC fans already expect it to have no repercussions to the greater DCEU storyline (which doesn't exist). This is just a theory I have, I hope it doesn't offend anyone or gets considered trolling.

Looking at DC's box office results, I'm beginning to see a pattern.  DC is certainly capable of putting out hits, even huge ones.  But these seem to be movies with relatively modest openings and great multipliers (Wonder Woman, Joker, Aquaman).  The Batman got a better opening, but not even touching previous Batman movies (especially not inflation adjusted).

It seems to me that DC movies just don't have as reliable a fan base as the MCU does.  I also think that general audiences are more likely to take a wait and see approach with these movies.  I'm sure that aggressively releasing these movies on HBO Max only reinforces this mindset.

So for WB, its frighteningly easy for DC's movies to slip through the cracks.  That's the real danger for Black Adam- not that audiences will hate it, but that it'll come and go with no one noticing.

And on star power.  The Rock is a huge star, but he's been in plenty of generic movies to middling results.  Star power isn't worth that much if you don't know how to use it.  Jumanji 2 is a great example of a movie that had star power and used it very well.