grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So what kind of OW is likely here?

$70m+ =  great start. Overperformance

$65m = good start

$60m = fine

<$60m = What Went Wrong Thread

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

$65m = good start

$60m = fine

I'd say more...

$60-70m = good start

$50m-$60M = fine/okay

<$50m = What Went Wrong Thread

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So what kind of OW is likely here?

Probably around Shazam numbers. The middling reviews have pretty much killed any chance this movie had at being a major hit, especially with Wakanda Forever right around the corner, so Warner and Dwayne should both be grateful if it even breaks even at all. Either way, I doubt we'll be seeing Adam on film again for a long time.

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Probably around Shazam numbers. The middling reviews have pretty much killed any chance this movie had at being a major hit, especially with Wakanda Forever right around the corner, so Warner and Dwayne should both be grateful if it even breaks even at all. Either way, I doubt we'll be seeing Adam on film again for a long time.

Yeah because the rest of The Rock's filmography had Martin Scorsese in tears for the cinematic achievements that they were.

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Theatres in Greece are not even packed on Dinner time. Basically we have only one chain that is busy and that only has most of its business during Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays noon-night. 

I actually checked the pre-sales for theater chain and this has had like 4 almost sold out showings, which is decent and actually much better than DC’s latest offerings.

5 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Why?

People probably think a poor box office will make the execs panic and change course again, I can’t blame anyone for thinking like that but if they truly wanna build out they need to stick to the plan and continue to tie things into other movies. We have Shazam coming early next year then The Flash, so they should just continue with whatever plan they may have. But again, who knows how they’ll react to the box office(if it doesn’t meet whatever goal they set for the movie). 

49 minutes ago, AJG said:

$65m = good start

$60m = fine

I think it’s more 

<50 - what in the hell happened 

50-60 is bad, not gonna make its money back

60-70 - boring, breaks even probably

70-80 - well that’s pretty good

80+ Ok solid foundation to build a franchise on

going from. Disaster to Overperformance within 10m dollars is way to severe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

People probably think a poor box office will make the execs panic and change course again, I can’t blame anyone for thinking like that but if they truly wanna build out they need to stick to the plan and continue to tie things into other movies. We have Shazam coming early next year then The Flash, so they should just continue with whatever plan they may have. But again, who knows how they’ll react to the box office(if it doesn’t meet whatever goal they set for the movie). 

Even though Shazam didn't set the BO on fire, it had a very good reception from critics and audience. That's why it's getting a sequel. They know there's potential there. If Black Adam does average numbers, that combined with a supposedly mediocre reception, puts it in danger of not getting the sequel. But let's wait before we bury it

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Even though Shazam didn't set the BO on fire, it had a very good reception from critics and audience. That's why it's getting a sequel. They know there's potential there. If Black Adam does average numbers, that combined with a supposedly mediocre reception, puts it in danger of not getting the sequel. But let's wait before we bury it

I’d be shocked if they didn’t use the rock again after this in another movie no matter what the box office is. If this underperforms or whatever that will probably just kill any spin-offs they may have had “planned”. 

Either way it is what it is, the movie is made now and it’s gonna do what it’s gonna do. 

31 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Plus, Adam has a much bigger budget than Shazam did.

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

My cousin went to a gala showing here tonight and he said it’s non stop action, literally non stop. That could go down well with young guys. And the end could boost the Cinemascore. We’ll see!

Would $60m+ be The Rock’s biggest solo opener? 

Hobbs&Shaw opened with $60M.