grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

5 hours ago, Juby said:

My final prediction from 16 Sep (I published it on another forum😞

Opening weekend: $26.5 mln

Domestic: $64 mln

Foreign: $240 mln

Worldwide: $304 mln

I maybe will see it on November 2nd if there'll be any previews. If not, Polish premiere is the last on Earth (as usual), Nov 8th.

That would be a financial disaster and the end of the Terminator series. 

43 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

That would be a financial disaster and the end of the Terminator series

I mean, even if it surpasses that by a couple hundred million, I still don't see a sequel happening. And there shouldn't be one. There just isn't anything left to do anymore with this premise.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

what? this is gonna open with 105M when Joker couldn't hit 100M? How the fuck? There's absolutely no buzz for this done to death story with ancient hasbeens and a bunch of neverwas. 

total buddy, nobody said ow

Deadline has the ow at $33,000,000 – $43,000,000 so far

To be fair, I do think reception will be quite good. If it opens in the high 30's, low 40's, 100 should happen. 

Upon further rumination, I still would much rather rewatch Salvation and I think the opening to Genisys is still better than anything in this movie, but I can see that being a minority opinion - even if there's nothing in this movie that is extraordinary, it's consistently mediocre, with little n the way of terrible. Which is a backhanded compliment, sure, but sometimes that kind of competent execution is enough for an entertaining movie. For me it's the kind of movie I would recommend in a "sure, why not, give it a try, you may like it more than me, or at least kill a couple of hours if you pay for a 2D, rather than an IMAX premium price". 

It doesn't strike me as a movie with WOM worse than "s'alright", so I don't think legs will be too bad...

Edited by reddevil19

An action movie based on a well known franchise flopping hard in France and UK is terrible sign for overseas box office. Alita did well in France, but flopped in UK. If this doesn't match Alita domestically and overseas then this will be horrible. Infact, just matching Alita is bad because this is a well known IP unlike that.

Just now, marveldcfox said:

An action movie based on a well known franchise flopping hard in France and UK is terrible sign for overseas box office. Alita did well in France, but flopped in UK. If this doesn't match Alita domestically and overseas then this will be horrible. Infact, just matching Alita is bad because this is a well known IP unlike that.

Being a known IP probably works against it at this point. Had Genisys not wasted the potential of an Arnie return, matching him with that piss-poor version of Sarah Connor, there would have been decent excitement. But now... Yeah, there's no rush.

Again, I do think people that watch it will be sufficiently entertained that legs won't be terrible - but if the opening is low, there's only so much it can do.

Asia will be the big test.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Being a known IP probably works against it at this point. Had Genisys not wasted the potential of an Arnie return, matching him with that piss-poor version of Sarah Connor, there would have been decent excitement. But now... Yeah, there's no rush.

Again, I do think people that watch it will be sufficiently entertained that legs won't be terrible - but if the opening is low, there's only so much it can do.

Asia will be the big test.

seems to have no buzz in India..last couple of terminator films did okayish but had some buzz.

9 movies open wide between Nov 1 and Nov 8 (and 3 more on Nov 15)...so Terminator won't have the luxury of time to pick up legs...midsize and smaller theaters will be dropping it by Thanksgiving due to space issues if it isn't performing as a huge seller...there's just too much opening in November to do otherwise...

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

9 movies open wide between Nov 1 and Nov 8 (and 3 more on Nov 15)...so Terminator won't have the luxury of time to pick up legs...midsize and smaller theaters will be dropping it by Thanksgiving due to space issues if it isn't performing as a huge seller...there's just too much opening in November to do otherwise...

Fair point - though the very vast majority of those openers will perform even worse than Dark Fate...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I actually think he did fairly well with what he had. I hope this doesn't hit him too bad, and he gets other chances at big productions.

Give him an MCU movie, I say.

He had James cameron s genius so I don't know ...

Yeah, it's a pretty great movie! And I thought I really hated the Terminator franchise - because of T3 and Genisys, terrible movies. Too bad most stupid people around the world won't even give this a chance - thinking it was as bad as those two. They have no idea the whole squad is back - especially James.

Hopefully Star Wars Episode 9 will escape that sad fate - but I'm pretty sure now the terrible Episode 8 will hurt it bad. Again - because most people are dumb as fuck (a fact I sadly overlook time and again), and have no idea how different those two should be.

Anyway:

1. Arnold was born to play the Terminator.

2. This movie has THE BEST EVER fake/young actors CGI! First time in fucking history the uncanny valley is 100% officially gone. They (the people who did this scene) can do anything from now on.

3. Go see this movie. This franchise needs a good closure.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, it's a pretty great movie! And I thought I really hated the Terminator franchise - because of T3 and Genisys, terrible movies. Too bad most stupid people around the world won't even give this a chance - thinking it was as bad as those two. They have no idea the whole squad is back - especially James.

Hopefully Star Wars Episode 9 will escape that sad fate - but I'm pretty sure now the terrible Episode 8 will hurt it bad. Again - because most people are dumb as fuck (a fact I sadly overlook time and again), and have no idea how different those two should be.

Anyway:

1. Arnold was born to play the Terminator.

2. This movie has THE BEST EVER fake/young actors CGI! First time in fucking history the uncanny valley is 100% officially gone. They (the people who did this scene) can do anything from now on.

3. Go see this movie. This franchise needs a good closure.

Good to hear it's great. Can't wait to see it!

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Tim Miller will do a MCU/DC movie next.

Yep.  Scott Derrickson's film before "Doctor Strange" was also a flop.

Anyway, "Dark Fate" wouldn't destroy Tim Millers' career.  The film doesn't get mostly bad reviews.

Edited by John2015

I'm curious to see Arnold's physicality in this. I know he keeps in pretty good shape (it's Arnold after all!!) but I hope it's not reminiscent of Harrison Ford in his latest Indiana Jones/Star Wars movies. It's kind of tragic to watch....