grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

13 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

On topic, I feel like this movie would’ve been 10x more anticipated if Genysis didn’t come out.

The return of the cast would have been more special with Arnold first Terminator in 15 year's than in 4 year's for sure, more chance to a Halloween to occur (but still would have needed a great trailer)

The film starts with some questionable "de-aging" CGI as exposition. Say what you want about Genisys, but they got that stuff right in the intro. Immediately after that scene, the film introduces us to the best original character in the series since the first Terminator (Davis). I hate to say it, but I wasn't a big fan of Connor played by Furlong in Terminator 2. I know plenty of fans of the original who didn't like Furlong's performance.

The first 30 minutes are damn near relentless, and breathlessly paced. It got me hooked (despite overt influences from T2).

Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, and Arnold had great chemistry. Natalia Reyes feels like perfunctory filler. No offense to her. She felt like another Terminator plot device we've seen time and time again. She is like the Death Star of the Terminator universe. It gets slightly tiresome. It's a good film. Is it a great sequel? No. Still, it's undeniably entertaining. I know it will divide fans, though.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What did you think @IronJimbo?? I'm sure you were first in line to see this bad boy!

Obviously not as good as 1 and 2 but it was a good watch.

Quite a few cool moments and an all round great action movie.

Loads of winks to the audience which was full memberberries like TFA or something.

My favourite line.

"my whole bodies a weapon" followed by the smirk

I saving it for the ladies

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

four isolated pet Terminator sequels in a row

expensive, hopefully people like them more than me.

this new one reminded me of the pain I endured when hearing from her about that tv show that came out when she was trying to hurt herself.  there were so many new things coming out at that time too!

1980 - 79/80 + 16 = 96

1992 - 79/80 + 16 = 96

2003 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

2007 - 78/80 + 14 = 92

2015 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

2019 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

presales in China are apparently bad...

Bad would be understatement of the year. It has 2m yuan PS with just 48 hours to go. Of course the biggest chain Wanda has delayed PS for some reason. But it still has 40K+ shows and having atrocious PS. Weathering with you with 39K shows has 4x PS !!!

I had thought China will have a good run(I thought even $200m was possible with Cameron’s involvement). Now even Genesis numbers( ~100m) looks tough barring amazing WOM.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm seeing no marketing effort from Paramount, it's like they're not even trying.

In North America I feel it had a good budget (or by watching sports event I was in a special target demo for it ?, but live sport is probably by far the most expensive and best place to sell this):

It is around the top of those for a while:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/terminator-dark-fate-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203378735/

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/the-addams-family-terminator-dark-fate-top-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203370947/

Rest of the world is a Fox release (so I imagine Disney now...?) from an old Fox contract, could be different.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

James Cameron, the producer, was/is always a flop commercially. 

Yup. I have no idea where this idea that James Cameron being a producer means that a movie is going to bring in a billion dollars even came from. He's not Spielberg.