CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Silence deserved some Oscar love. Masterful film.

honestly they should've held it for the next year and premiered it at Cannes or something and let it's reputation build thru the year. it's not an immediate film like Wolf of wall st. so the strategy didn't pay off that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly they should've held it for the next year and premiered it at Cannes or something and let it's reputation build thru the year. it's not an immediate film like Wolf of wall st. so the strategy didn't pay off that time.

Another reason why Paramount should've done this is the amount of Oscar films they had on their plate that year. Arrival, Fences, Florence Foster Jenkins. They had enough to focus on even without adding Silence to the mix. Juggling so many campaigns might've been a factor as to why Amy Adams missed Actress that year.

Edited by SLAM!

Why have you hype for the Oscars? Because Brad Pitt is on it? The academy has never noticed Gray. Do you think this is gonna be a box office hit? I doubt it. 

He's not that great as author and neither his movie are appealing for a bigger audience or the Academy. There  is so much better to see around but I always forget americans only watch americans or english language movie so I guess it's one of the best you can get? 

Brad has good chance TO WIN as supporting for Once upon a time.... he's really good. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Knock It Off 4

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is not an adaptation. heart of darkness is an inspiration but it's not specifically based on that.

:ohmygod:

Apocalypse Now was also inspired by the novel Heart of Darkness! It all comes full circle! :circles:

5 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

:ohmygod:

Apocalypse Now was also inspired by the novel Heart of Darkness! It all comes full circle! :circles:

Apocalypse now went beyond being inspired by Heart of  Darkness; it was pretty much  a straight up adaptation just moved from Africa circa 1900 to Vietnam circa 1970. Think "CLueless" and "Emma" .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Pros: best picture

Why are you so damn confident about that>

FOr me, I am beginning to  smell a busted Oscar Bait film;a film meant to be a awards contender that did not turn out as well enough to be a serious contender.

I saw the trailer for this in front of Apocalypse Now last week and I am less inclined than I was vbefore to say it will not do well. It does not look like too tough a sell, looks more appealing than First Man.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I saw the trailer for this in front of Apocalypse Now last week and I am less inclined than I was vbefore to say it will not do well. It does not look like too tough a sell, looks more appealing than First Man.

Lucy in the Sky is First Man 2.0 not this. Ad Astra has an intriguing hook and doesn't look boring. 

• Like 1

I'm actually a bit concerned about this movie. I heard from a few people that Liv Tyler's character was inserted into this movie after reshoots (she at the very least wasn't in the first few test screenings of the movie). Hopefully this doesn't mean that there was studio meddling and stuff.