CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

The Shay never writes in his own country's internet - BUT I found by chance a "review" by some dumb blogger on a review site, who claimed this was the worst movie ever, because it "didn't have enough action" and other dumb shit.

I destroyed him with three sentences in the comments after the article. :)

Go Pitt! We care and fight for the good movies! Also: nice comment in the thread title. This movie is indeed too good for "slow" folks.

1 hour ago, Parasite said:

Well.. 

Surprisingly enough, Ad Astra is getting great WOM in France. 

8.4/10 Écho du Public score. 

And an incredible 10x + internal multi OD to OWeek! 

Impressive w/e multi though Allocine has a decidedly less enthusiastic audience rating of 3.1/5  v critics fantastic 4.4/5

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=247520.html

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Impressive w/e multi though Allocine has a decidedly less enthusiastic audience rating of 3.1/5  v critics fantastic 4.4/5

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=247520.html

I don't trust Allociné much anymore, only for 4,5+ or very very low. The score is very easily manipulated and the sample is very low. 

Sens Critique actually now gathers twice as many ratings. 

Echo du Public is I think the most reliable with legs... But they only share the most liked films.. 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, Macleod said:

The reason Ad Astra beat Rambo at the box office is that Rambo is a pretty awful movie...and Ad Astra is a significantly better one in every technical context.  But Ad Astra is still pretty disappointing when compared to numerous other sci-fi epics of previous years.  Almost every one of those films mentioned in this thread has more to say about humanity and our possibilities than this, which ends up being *yet another* (as if we don't have enough) Hollywood movie about "Daddy Issues."  

The thing about science fiction is

Spoiler

people want to believe in aliens or believe in God, and Ad Astra posits a world where neither exist. I mention God because much of the movie is a thinly veiled metaphor for the search for God. 

So I can see why people would come away from the movie dissatisfied. I liked it quite a bit even if the above bummed me out. 

• Like 2

Saw the movie yesterday wanting to enjoy it but it was never possible.

The movie is so slow and so boring that it made a story with great potencial become something so dry and emotionless.

Brad Pitt is good but he didn't have much to do besides looking down or talking in a very slow way.

The people at my theater didn't seem to enjoy it much. There was at least two people sleeping next to me and there was a guy snoring very loudly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could alomst make a rule out of this :

the longer the shots, lhe fewer the cuts, the better the reviews will be.

The list of boring ass films that have no cuts for 2 minutes described as work of art is endless.

I blame 2001 for this.

Following this rule, critics will have a brain aneursim of pleasure watching 1917.

Liked this a lot. Narration didn't bother me at all, although I do think as a whole it's a little too derivative of Apocalypse Now and too heavy-handed at key moments for greatness. Loved the methodical direction/pacing and Pitt's performance, and it was the first new movie in I don't know how long to instill some well-earned peace in me, which I didn't know how much I needed. 

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Liked this a lot. Narration didn't bother me at all, although I do think as a whole it's a little too derivative of Apocalypse Now and too heavy-handed at key moments for greatness. Loved the methodical direction/pacing and Pitt's performance, and it was the first new movie in I don't know how long to instill some well-earned peace in me, which I didn't know how much I needed. 

Yeah, go SEE this movie, folks - peace is all you need! Especially the AD&D crowds - but ironically they are exactly the ones hating it, for being "too slow", lol.

I saw it a second time, as I had promised! Go Pitt!!

• Haha 1