franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

2 minutes ago, Giesi said:

DijbXeYXkAAmauG?format=jpg

No words

I have words.

Trash, despicable, revolting, indefensible, disgusting.

And yet people keep calling these "edgy, silly immature" jokes and saying that people should be allowed to grow and mature.

I mean, he made these jokes when he was just a young, immature kid in his early-to-mid forties, people!!

Just a kid!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

t s like we are back in 1687, when the Church was controlling every aspect of people s life.

It took centuries to free ourselves from the Church.

Were I am from it was until the lat 70s, 80s really, Elvis Presley could not come play here because of the church and some theater play had a really hard time to pass (and woman not giving birth to many children were still openly judged by the village priest in the 1980s).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

YESTERDAY. HE TRIED TO DELETE THEM ONLY YESTERDAY. I would’ve deleted my shit the moment I was in the running to direct a Disney family film

A8opIvS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

This man is attacking MAGAs on a DAILY BASIS without having his twitter swept clean, knowing full well he was a Troma guy. My god, stupid doesn't do this justice

Wild that him criticizing that Teen Titans trailer yesterday is partly responsible for all this. Imagine knowing that your career ended partially because you ticked ppl on twitter off with your Teen Titans Fuck Batman take

• Haha 12

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

Meh.

i watch tv shows and listen to podcasts that joke about rape and paedophilia all the time.

Are we supposed to cancel Rick and Morty, Archer, South Park, and Family Guy? I could probably list way more in all honesty.

Well since you brought it up I'm sure there's somebody who will have a kneejerk reaction and say "YES IF THEY THINK THAT SORT OF THING CAN BE LAUGHED AT GOOD RIDDANCE FUCKING TRASH HUMAN BEINGS CANCEL EVERYTHING THAT I FIND UNACCEPTABLE "

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

At the end of the day, Disney is about making money.  At this point, they probably believed they could lose less money by firing Gunn than by trying to weather the expected crazed internet mob "sh&tstorm" if they didn't. 

It may mean they have another director in mind for a GOTG3...it may mean they pass on GOTG3 for Phase 4...it may mean they integrate some of the Guardians into someone else's solo movie for Phase 4...but they probably figured they could come up with a good plan that saved them hassle, so they made the move.

I don't respect the move, but in this day and age, I understand it.  

There's also the Trump factor. Cernovich is someone Trump listens to regularly, Disney needs Trump's approval for the Fox deal, Trump was angry that Roseanne was fired because of her tweets, MAGA twitter piled on Gunn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Entertainment industry is all about image, and no where more so then Disney. The Mouse is going to be totally ruthless in defending it's image...as will most studios.

If Gunn had made a few off color jokes, he probably would have kept his job. But making jokes about rape.....that is taking it to a new level. it's digusting, frankly.

As for the freedom of speech issue......the first admenment just says the government cannot put you in jail for what you say. It does not say that there will not be consequences for what you say. I have a perfect constiional right to go up to my boss and call hime a no good, son of a bitch shithead. But that right will not keep me from being fired.

A lot of people, I note, find the idea of actually being held responsible for your actions and what you say scary. Welcome to the real world where theyre are often consequences.

All actions have consequences. What you eat, what you drink, and yes what you say....every single decision you make in life has a consequence....whether it is good or bad. But not all actions, whether good or bad, should have the same consequences. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A few of these tweets were posted a mere 18 months before Guardians came out.

But he was a kid, dude! Just an immature man pushing fifty (or was he in his early forties? Mid forties?) The point is he was young and immature and he has grown since then. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevenG said:

I have words.

And yet people keep calling these "edgy, silly immature" jokes and saying that people should be allowed to grow and mature.

I mean, he made these jokes when he was just a young, immature kid in his early-to-mid forties, people!!

Just a kid!!!

Yeah...I get that, but he did grow and mature. That's kind of the part you're leaving out. That he stopped doing those things, and has noticeably grown as a human being. You'd have a point at hypocrisy, if Gunn hadn't matured.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

All actions have consequences. What you eat, what you drink, and yes what you say....every single decision you make in life has a consequence....whether it is good or bad. But not all actions, whether good or bad, should have the same consequences. 

Out of likes...but this is the smartest thing written on the internet today.  

2 minutes ago, StevenG said:

I have words.

Just a kid!!!

And what's the problem there exactly?

Just now, RandomCat said:

Yeah...I get that, but he did grow and mature. That's kind of the part you're leaving out. That he stopped doing those things, and has noticeably grown as a human being. You'd have a point at hypocrisy, if Gunn hadn't matured.

Interesting how he matured right when he landed a gig directing a big budget blockbuster :thinking:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Time to delete twitter

The amount of groupthink mentality and enforced conformity on twitter has gotten insane in recent years.  Theres a "consensus" view, and if you depart from it, you are committing wrongthink and are intensely attacked like an invading virus.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen objectively false statements and other dumb shit get tens of thousands of retweets on twitter in a matter of hours.  Never doubt the propensity of twitter and American politics to plunge further and further to abject stupidity.  I'm not necessarily talking about the James Gunn situation(which I don't care at all about), just the overall picture when it comes to twitter and its relation to opinions and politics.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's also the Trump factor. Cernovich is someone Trump listens to regularly, Disney needs Trump's approval for the Fox deal, Trump was angry that Roseanne was fired because of her tweets, MAGA twitter piled on Gunn

Cernovich being an actual rapist always adds such a thick layer of irony to all these things

• Like 4

This is another example of how PC culture is ruining the internet. Gunn's tweets were stupid and it's baffling he didn't delete them much earlier, but him getting fired and probably being blacklisted in the industry forever is ridiculous. There is no evidence so far that Gunn is actually a rapist/paedophile, and since he has apologized for those tweets years ago this reaction is uncalled for IMO.

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The New Puritans are our Overlords now.

Submit to them of perish.

Even saying "freedom of speech is more than just a constitutional amendment, it's a cultural value" is treading on thin ice these days.