Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

1.) The Fate of the Furious(UNI), 4,329 theaters (+19) / $11.4M Fri. (-75%) /3-day cume: $37M (-63%)/Total cume: $161.9M/Wk 2

2.) The Boss Baby (20thCentury Fox/DWA), 3,697 theaters (-46)  / $3.1M Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $11.9m (-25%)/ Total: $136M/Wk 4

3.) Beauty and the Beast (DIS), 3,315 theaters (-277)  / $2.7M Fri. (-47%)   / 3-day cume: $10M (-27%) / Total cume: $471M/ Wk 6
4/5/6/7) The Promise  (OR), 2251 theaters / $1.7m (includes $200k previews) Fri./3-day cume: $4.7M/Wk 1

Born in China  (DIS), 1,508 theaters / $1.65m Fri./3-day cume: $4.6M/Wk 1

Smurfs: The Lost Village (Sony), 2,737 theaters (-873) / $1.1M Fri. (-57%) /3-day cume: $4.6M (-31%)/Total: $33M/Wk 3

Going in Style (WB/VR), 3,038 theaters (-38) / $1.35M Fri. (-36% )/3-day cume: $4.6M  (-27%)/Total: $31.3M/Wk 3

8.) Gifted (FSL), 1,986 theaters (+840) / $1.3M Fri. (+27%)/3-day cume: $4.48M (+45%)/Total: $10.7M/Wk 3

9.) Unforgettable (WB), 2,417 theaters / $1.6m Fri./3-day cume: $4.4M/Wk 1

10.) The Lost City of Z  (BST/AMZ), 614 theaters (+610) / $597K Fri. (+1450%)/ /3-day cume: $1.99M (+172%)/Total: $2.1M/Wk 2

NOTABLES:

Phoenix Forgotten  (ENT), 1,592 theaters / $550K Fri./ 3-day cume: $1.56M/Wk 1

Free Fire  (A24), 1,070 theaters / $280K Fri./3-day cume: $773k/Wk 1

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, straggler said:

Passengers was a very sneakily effective movie. Even if you did not like it you thought about it. It was sort of like an ink blot test. It engaged the viewer in an unusual way.

Ehh... That's not a great argument.

Like, I thought about Prometheus a lot after I saw it. But most of those thoughts were about how annoying terrible it was as a movie. It had flashes of good stuff, but overall, it was a poorly conceived, poorly paced feature. The ideas presented weren't good or compelling, so much of my thoughts about it were "god, that was relentlessly stupid."

But if the barometer for "effective" is because I did end up thinking about it, then any film that has a degree of ineptness undermining itself is effective.

(Haven't seen Passengers, yet. But the presentation in the trailers annoyed me enough that I doubt I'd really find it either sneaky or effective.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Get Out is estimated to have 60% drop? despite every other movie having soft drops? I don't believe that for a second, unless it lost over 1,000 theathers.

It only needs a 33% drop to be below the top 10 (The other notables are openers) and it lost 32% of it's theaters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Ehh... That's not a great argument.

Like, I thought about Prometheus a lot after I saw it. But most of those thoughts were about how annoying terrible it was as a movie. It had flashes of good stuff, but overall, it was a poorly conceived, poorly paced feature. The ideas presented weren't good or compelling, so much of my thoughts about it were "god, that was relentlessly stupid."

But if the barometer for "effective" is because I did end up thinking about it, then any film that has a degree of ineptness undermining itself is effective.

(Haven't seen Passengers, yet. But the presentation in the trailers annoyed me enough that I doubt I'd really find it either sneaky or effective.)

Ah Prometheus. A movie where I wanted to strangle every character on the screen and was rooting for the alien. 

I never got the sense that Passengers was bad or annoying, just very curious. It showed the audience a profound philosophical dilemma and then just said, Ok, now figure it out yourself. And it sure seemed like the movie intended to do this, which I do not think applies to a film like Prometheus. It had a certain art to it. But you cannot really assess it unless you see it. It certainly had an impact. 

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It also didn't help that her mother was her manager for a while, and she was very difficult and demanding. 

Her career tanking like it did was almost entirely of her own doing. 

So then Unforgettable

Spoiler

is a lot closer to being Heigl's biopic than I previously thought. 

• Like 1