Tower

Tuesdays number

In some ways it's good to see most of the general public has half their memory left and obviously aren't being duped into paying money to see The Phantom Mess again. Anyways it's done enough for them to continue these 3D re-releases, so that's all that matters. Bring on 2015 and A New Hope!

Really great numbers. I am now firmly on the Ghost Rider 2 35 million+ bandwagon. We've had action, romance, horror and other genres overperform this year. Now this is the turn of a comics/super hero adaptation.

For the box office's sake that would be fantastic. For every single other intent, dear god I hope it doesn't do that much.

I just think it's important to stress that unless you have seen something you don't have the right to tell us if its good or not.

That's the Rotten Tomatoes effect I guess. Not that it's bad if you use that as your movie watching guide but sometimes it's weird how people passionately hate a movie they haven't seen just because it's rated "rotten"

I'm actually a bit impressed with the number for TMW. As has been mentioned it was just 1 showing with limited advertising (even I didn't know it had a Tuesday showing until I was checking movie times on Monday) and it had huge direct competition from TV, which wa the obvious #1 choice for couples yesterday. The weekend numbers should be interesting.

I don't know what to make of the number- some theaters only showed it at 7:00, while others kept it playing the rest of the night- but it doesn't look good to me. First real disappointment of 2012 coming up?

If you want to go into specifics, Underworld, Red Tails, OFTM, Man on a Ledge and Big Miracle all haven't made back their budgets yet though.

If you want to go into specifics, Underworld, Red Tails, OFTM, Man on a Ledge and Big Miracle all haven't made back their budgets yet though.

Worldwide Underworld Awakening has...and then some. Edited by Bishop54

With regards to the This Means War number, not only did we only play one show, but we had to put it in our 7 slot for Chronicle.I am not sure if every theater had to do that, but l wouldn't doubt it, they are both Fox after all. So, what I am trying to say, is that Chronicle is in one of our smallest theaters now, like 113 seats or so. We did sell out our sneak of This Means War, and it was stupid busy. If it were in a larger theater it could have easily done more.

Really great numbers. I am now firmly on the Ghost Rider 2 35 million+ bandwagon. We've had action, romance, horror and other genres overperform this year. Now this is the turn of a comics/super hero adaptation.

Oh, we'll have a superhero overperformer undoubtedly: The Dark Knight Rises.

Underworld, as noted, has a great WW total. PLUS, it's going into the long 4-day weekend with a $60m total. It's very likely going to see $70m domestic(it's budget).

Underworld, as noted, has a great WW total. PLUS, it's going into the long 4-day weekend with a $60m total. It's very likely going to see $70m domestic(it's budget).

I'm not talking about worldwide. Certainly many films are resurrected as U4 undoubtedly will be/is, but domestically it'll probably fall short. It's not disappointing per se more like overbudgeted. Either way This Means War surely won't lose as much as Big Miracle, which I think leads the losers at this point.Also re: Chronicle being displaced by TMW, explains the relatively low increase compared to the rest of the field.

I'm not talking about worldwide. Certainly many films are resurrected as U4 undoubtedly will be/is, but domestically it'll probably fall short. It's not disappointing per se more like overbudgeted. Either way This Means War surely won't lose as much as Big Miracle, which I think leads the losers at this point.Also re: Chronicle being displaced by TMW, explains the relatively low increase compared to the rest of the field.

Why does the domestic total have to be the end-all be-all?
  • Like 1

I'm not talking about worldwide. Certainly many films are resurrected as U4 undoubtedly will be/is, but domestically it'll probably fall short. It's not disappointing per se more like overbudgeted.Either way This Means War surely won't lose as much as Big Miracle, which I think leads the losers at this point.Also re: Chronicle being displaced by TMW, explains the relatively low increase compared to the rest of the field.

North America is one market. The film market is global now. So you can't just take one market and determine whether or not the film is a success. By doing that, you eliminate billions of potential dollars. If a film does well WW, then it does well. Period.