The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 hours ago, Nova said:

Pulse: 

1. Baby Driver 

2. DM3 

3. WW

4. TF5 

5. Cars 3 

Calling it now but DM3 makes over $100M+ and Baby Driver speeds into second place with a $20M+ 3-day and 30M+ 5 day. 

My exact predictions. I see no reason why would DM3 fall below 100M+ when SLOP did it last year + its got THE TOMATO LAW behind it (well, more or less) + DM is one of the alpha franchises for families and children + the last major animated breakout was Boss Baby in March.

BD seems like it may do what Baywatch would've done if wom was actually good. Fingers crossed for a 23M 3-day just to stick in to Paramount that BD did the same or more in 3 days than Baywatch in 4.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

I could see DM3 in the 90s.  SLOP felt like it had far more buzz last year and better reviews.  That Tomato on DM3 is about to go Green. With just 28 reviews it's now at 64%/5.6 avg and a 50%/4.5 avg Top Critics.

Also, RT has to stop writing the consensus after 20 films if they won't even give a certified fresh rating for a wide release until 80 reviews are in.

• Like 1

Despicable Me 3 feels like it would've had more excitement if the not-so-well-received Minions movie hadn't existed. I guess we're about to find out how much wind that movie took out of the franchise, since I've been thinking this will play like more like a fourth installment in a franchise the whole time.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

My theater is looking very weak today across the board:

Baby Driver has sold a total of 17 tickets across all showings. Only 2 seats are for the morning show in 90 minutes; the rest are all night.

Transformers and WW have each sold 16 tickets across all showings, most of which are in the morning.

Cars has a group buyout at 1:15 and the 10:30 showing has sold about 9 seats, but the rest of the day is barren. 

BD looks like it'll be a nighttime movie, so don't take Deadline's early estimates as fact :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh god, something I just realized about this week's showtimes at my theater: they're shuffling Baby Driver and The House around a lot to accommodate more Transformers showings. Baby Driver moves into their smallest auditorium at night :depp: Additionally, The House goes into the biggest auditorium late at night after DM3 and Transformers has a 3D showing in the second biggest late after Cars.

9 hours ago, BenedictL11 said:

They are so stupid. They need to be fired for this.

No, that's what you have to do.  Transformers is a known quantity at this point, The House and Baby Driver aren't.  

I couldn't put Baby Driver in any of our biggest houses except for the two prime shows it has in Dolby.  I have it in some larger houses just in case, but at this point, it has to prove to me it can hang with the big boys and/or TF5 has to have a significant drop off for me to swap them around.  I'd love nothing more than to do that, but I doubt it will happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

No, that's what you have to do.  Transformers is a known quantity at this point, The House and Baby Driver aren't.  

I couldn't put Baby Driver in any of our biggest houses except for the two prime shows it has in Dolby.  I have it in some larger houses just in case, but at this point, it has to prove to me it can hang with the big boys and/or TF5 has to have a significant drop off for me to swap them around.  I'd love nothing more than to do that, but I doubt it will happen.

Your theater has reserved seating, right? Is it possible to move a showing to a different sized auditorium if seats have already been bought?

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Your theater has reserved seating, right? Is it possible to move a showing to a different sized auditorium if seats have already been bought?

Nope!  You can't even really move them to same size theaters without causing problems.  You have to hope that nobody buys tickets.

That's what happened last weekend with Tubelight.  I loaded up shows because someone made me believe that it was gonna be a banger.   It didn't do crap on Friday, so I was able to change out 4 of it's extra shows Saturday to more Cars/TF5/WW.  However, for some reason, most of the shows on Sunday had presales, so I couldn't change anything.

It sucks, but if you have backup plans ready to go, you can make things happen.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've always wondered how much RS screws up flexibility in moving films to bigger or larger screens.

16 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

Nope!  You can't even really move them to same size theaters without causing problems.  You have to hope that nobody buys tickets.

That's what happened last weekend with Tubelight.  I loaded up shows because someone made me believe that it was gonna be a banger.   It didn't do crap on Friday, so I was able to change out 4 of it's extra shows Saturday to more Cars/TF5/WW.  However, for some reason, most of the shows on Sunday had presales, so I couldn't change anything.

It sucks, but if you have backup plans ready to go, you can make things happen.

Yeah, my theater experienced that with Baywatch last month. It was on two screens including the second biggest auditorium and never pulled the numbers necessary to warrant an auditorium that big. POTC had consistent sellouts and couldn't get its 3D showings moved there because of Baywatch.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

MT:

Transformers 17.8

WW 15.3

Baby Driver 13.8

Cars 13.3

DM3 8.1

Pulse:

1. DM3

2. Baby Driver

3. Cars

4. WW

5. Transformers

The House is still nonexistent on Pulse.

WW holding on so well :blink:

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Despicable Me 3 feels like it would've had more excitement if the not-so-well-received Minions movie hadn't existed. I guess we're about to find out how much wind that movie took out of the franchise, since I've been thinking this will play like more like a fourth installment in a franchise the whole time.

My opinion is totally contrary, I see 'Minions' for 'Despicable Me 3' as important as 'The Avengers' went to 'Iron Man 3'.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It does feel like The House is coming for a "just how low can a starry summer comedy go" type of opening that leads to think pieces about how starpower truly is dead.

Maybe some bad RT score are still better than none.