grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

WB's having such a bad year after 2018. LEGO 2 and Shazam! got great reviews and did way less than they could have done. They over-marketed Pika Pika and it's looking like and under-performer. IT 2 and Joker look like big hits, and I hope Godzilla 2 blows tracking out of the water, but the rest of the year looks pretty quiet for them.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I think Pokemon as a franchise has/had potential. I just think Pokemon Company gave them the absolute worst game to adapt. There's no nostalgia to Detective Pikachu and no real hook besides 'YOU LIKED PIKACHU RIGHT!?'. Like me and @JGAR4LIFE had been saying since Day 1, if this was adapting Red/Blue or even the anime you'd have way more nostalgia and interest from more broader and casual fans. Detective Pikachu just ends up feeling childish and kind of cash grab-y.

Not necessarily. I mean even though Pikachu might be in the Shazam area of too childish for adults/too adult for kids, I imagine although a Pokémon movie would be bigger, the biggest I could see now for a Red/Blue adaptation even ignoring Pikachu would be GOTG or THG Numbers DOM/WW. A lot more rules and this even after DP spoilers, and the repetitiveness of the game, the adults needed for tentpoles would’ve never understand or showed up anyways. The best they could’ve done was to get the fanbase and those nostalgic. The only real big video game movie I see in the future is Mario and that’s more due to how big Illumination is.

@filmlover I actually wonder if it would’ve done better around Christmas provided Jumanji moved.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lion King would’ve destroyed it completely. February would’ve worked the best and WB as soon as they saw Lego Ninjago performance switch it and Lego 2, since Lego 2 was doomed anyways.

Or perhaps maybe, just maybe Pokémon was too niche of a property at the box office in the first place.

TBF to WB, I don't think anyone could have predicted LM2 flopping that badly. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pink turning into the reverse of Clint in The Mule complaining about how the old generation is ruining everything.

They ruined my retirement, they ruined my non volatile weather, now they're ruining my pokemon cinematic universe

Edited by MrPink

1 minute ago, TMP said:

WB's having such a bad year after 2018. LEGO 2 and Shazam! got great reviews and did way less than they could have done. They over-marketed Pika Pika and it's looking like and under-performer. IT 2 and Joker look like big hits, and I hope Godzilla 2 blows tracking out of the water, but the rest of the year looks pretty quiet for them.

They're actually up 15% from last year according to BoxOfficeMojo-

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4510&p=.htm

Sure while LEGO 2 flopped, Aquaman's January business was really good, Shazam was a minor hit even if it wasn't as big as it could have been, Curse of La Llorona was a nice small success for them, and IT 2 and Joker are both going to be big for them. Hopefully so will KoTM.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Most of their slate this year is made up of lower-budget movies with recognizable names/faces attached to them, which is nice to see a major studio still support in 2019.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

They're actually up 15% from last year according to BoxOfficeMojo-

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4510&p=.htm

Sure while LEGO 2 flopped, Aquaman's January business was really good, Shazam was a minor hit even if it wasn't as big as it could have been, Curse of La Llorona was a nice small success for them, and IT 2 and Joker are both going to be big for them. Hopefully so will KoTM.

Oh damn, I forgot about Aquaman crushing in January. That definitely helped them for sure, and The Mule's great late legs too.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Most of their slate this year is made up of lower-budget movies with recognizable names/faces attached to them, which is nice to see a major studio still support in 2019.

I feel like The Kitchen could be a nice hit for them. I'm really excited to see Sundance favorite Blinded by the Light, but it's so surprising that a company as big as WB picked it up. Feels like it'd be something like Sing Street, not getting a push from one of the big six studios.

Just now, filmlover said:

Most of their slate last year with the exception of RPO, FB2, Rampage and Aquaman were under $100m in terms of budget. It's pretty much the same this year as well. 2020 in comparison has a lot more big budget films. 

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

WB is starting to look like they're masters at the 2nd half of the year (July-December). First half? Not so much. They're going to rule the fall and it won't even be a competition. That much is clear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

WB is starting to look like they're masters at the 2nd half of the year (July-December). First half? Not so much. They're going to rule the fall and it won't even be a competition. That much is clear.

*May 30th-December

:ph34r:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Be good to her and take her to IMAX.  He deserves to be marveled at in IMAX.

My mom hates superhero movies though (even though she's barely seen any of them). My dad practically forced her to watch Wonder Woman. :whosad:

But hey, maybe What's Your Number? will play on TBS this Sunday.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

*May 30th-December

:ph34r:

This year, yes. I hope that movie rules at the box office. Just don't take too much away from Endgame please!

• Like 1

<< Prev. Week < Last Year View Index Next Year > Next Week >>
Rank LW Title Distributor Theater
Count
Change % Change Est.
Screens
Change Est.
Shows
Change Week #
> NEW RELEASES
2 - Pokemon Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. 4,202 - - - - - - 1
5 - The Hustle United Artists Releasing 3,007 - - - - - - 1
6 - Poms STX Entertainment 2,750 - - - - - - 1
10 - Tolkien Fox Searchlight 1,495 - - - - - - 1
20 - Student of the Year 2 FIP 190 - - - - - - 1
31 - Charlie Says IFC 35 - - - - - - 1
35 - Biggest Little Farm Neon 5 - - - - - - 1
36 - All Is True Sony Classics 4 - - - - - - 1
> EXPANDING
29 51 The White Crow Sony Classics 50 +31 +163.2% - - - - 3
30 45 Sunset (2019) Sony Classics 37 +3 +8.8% - - - - 8
> NO CHANGE
1 1 Avengers: Endgame Buena Vista 4,662 - - - - - - 3
3 2 Uglydolls STX Entertainment 3,652 - - - - - - 2
4 3 Long Shot Lionsgate/Summit 3,230 - - - - - - 2
7 8 The Intruder (2019) Sony / Screen Gems 2,222 - - - - - - 2
> DECLINING
8 4 Breakthrough Fox 1,902 -982 -34.0% - - - - 4
9 7 Captain Marvel Buena Vista 1,504 -739 -32.9% - - - - 10
11 5 The Curse of La Llorona Warner Bros. (New Line) 1,182 -1,358 -53.5% - - - - 4
12 6 Shazam! Warner Bros. (New Line) 936 -1,585 -62.9% - - - - 6
13 9 Dumbo (2019) Buena Vista 837 -831 -49.8% - - - - 7
14 10 Little Universal 585 -774 -57.0% - - - - 5
15 13 Pet Sematary (2019) Paramount 304 -351 -53.6% - - - - 6
16 11 Penguins (Disneynature) Buena Vista 285 -767 -72.9% - - - - 4
17 15 Us Universal 264 -335 -55.9% - - - - 8
18 17 Amazing Grace (2019) Neon 260 -3 -1.1% - - - - 23
19 12 Missing Link United Artists Releasing 202 -505 -71.4% - - - - 5
21 18 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Universal 185 -60 -24.5% - - - - 12
22 22 Hellboy (2019) Lionsgate/Summit 127 -52 -29.1% - - - - 5
23 19 The Mustang Focus Features 118 -111 -48.5% - - - - 9
24 20 After (2019) Aviron 90 -137 -60.4% - - - - 5
25 31 Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral Lionsgate 89 -9 -9.2% - - - - 11
26 23 Five Feet Apart Lionsgate 87 -66 -43.1% - - - - 9
27 26 The Best of Enemies STX Entertainment 81 -53 -39.6% - - - - 6
28 27 Unplanned Pure Flix 55 -79 -59.0% - - - - 7
32 41 Fighting with My Family MGM 28 -17 -37.8% - - - - 13
33 32 Hotel Mumbai Bleecker Street 25 -69 -73.4% - - - - 8
34 38 Apollo 11 Neon 24 -34 -58.6% - - - - 11
37 64 Fast Color Lionsgate 4 -3 -42.9% - - - - 4

4202 for Pika

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Oddly the first of 2020 is quite good for them with Birds of Prey, Godzilla vs Kong, Scoob and WW1984.  If Just Mercy has Oscar buzz, that could be a bit hit as well.

Edited by Jonwo