grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Mule vs. Mr. Pink, the crossover that the Mule fans have been waiting to see for ages

@MrPink this means that you get to have not one but two threesomes in your movie (that you yourself directed).

Edited by filmlover

Pikachu 

May 5th (update) 

6:00pm - 24/392

9:00pm - 40/392

May 7th (update)

6:00pm - 35/392

9:00pm - 62/392

May 9th (update)

6:00pm- 83/392

9:00pm - 95/392

Will update once more before late show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Pika preview night update, Salt Lake City, Cinemark Sugarhouse 10, 3:45 PM local. Ten screenings, all 2d.

186/561 33.1%

Afternoon/evening screenings are all between 50-65%, shows after 9:30 are dead. Salt Lake Trib gave it 3/4 stars, the other main paper in town, The Deseret News, hasn't weighed in yet. Seems pretty solid, if not spectacular.

I'll go with an OW of $63-68.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Menor said:

I've never expected huge numbers for Pika but I don't get why some are suddenly calling it a bomb already...we haven't even gotten any numbers yet

No one's calling it a bomb. It just won't live up to some of the...massive, let's just say...expectations of some (whether they were trying to be funny or not is up for debate). It's looking to land where I figured it would this whole time honestly.

• Like 2

I'm seeing a lot more negative thoughts on Pika's box office potential today then through the rest of the week. 

Am I missing something? What's changed? 

Taking a quick  look at some theatres, it seems to be selling decently this evening for preview. 

I'd say it's still pointing towards a 50-60 million open. 

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

I'm seeing a lot more negative thoughts on Pika's box office potential today then through the rest of the week. 

Am I missing something? What's changed? 

Taking a quick  look at some theatres, it seems to be selling decently this evening for preview. 

I'd say it's still pointing towards a 50-60 million open. 

Haven't been around here much the past six months, I assume.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's calling it a bomb. It just won't live up to some of the...massive, let's just say...expectations of some (whether they were trying to be funny or not is up for debate). It's looking to land where I figured it would this whole time honestly.

I mean today especially a bunch of people just randomly started raining doomsday predictions even though absolutely nothing has changed from the expectations a couple days ago

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I’ll sum it as some are legitimately confused:

- People who saw breakout potential (ie chances at $300M+/$1B+) weren’t kidding. 

- The people calling this the Endgame killer, the hardcore fanatics and @James (but he’s a WB stan anyway) were serious 

- Me, @Nova, @MrGlass2 and like two more people whom I can’t recall were kidding with outlandish claims to be outlandish.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean today especially a bunch of people just randomly started raining doomsday predictions even though absolutely nothing has changed from the expectations a couple days ago

It's not doomsday so much as reality kicking in, IMO.

Detective Pikachu is not the first movie to have its appeal vastly overestimated and it won't be close to the last either.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

Jesus, the reviews for The Hustle and Poms are scathing. Not really surprised by the latter (the trailer I got at Long Shot was very cringe), but The Hustle being this bad is a bit surprising.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Jesus, the reviews for The Hustle and Poms are scathing. Not really surprised by the latter (the trailer I got at Long Shot was very cringe), but The Hustle being this bad is a bit surprising.

It was shot in late 2017 for a June 2018 release originally and was delayed by almost a year. Given the reviews, it's not hard to see why.