grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I want to add to that I feel like the 50,000,000 to 55,000,000 projection is pretty accurate with the information that we have right now. However I feel like this it will be a very dark up heavy movie by a lot actually I think it’s going to add an additional 10 to 20,000,000 just from walk up so I can see 65 to 70 to 75,000,000 opening weekend just because of this.

I’m using voice chat that’s why it’s putting in the whole numbers LOL 

6 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

The secret of life of pets 2 it’s sure is interesting 

trailers weren’t even bad. I do think the first one  over performed due to lack of competition in July 2016 and this one movie has a lot more competition 

I think it's looking to play out like a comedy sequel where the hook was only good for one movie and the sequel falls due to not giving audiences an especially strong reason to come back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's looking to play out like a comedy sequel where the hook was only good for one movie and the sequel falls due to not giving audiences an especially strong reason to come back.

Slop 2 will kill it with kids. My 4 year old can't wait.

• Like 1

SLOP 2's problem is that SLOP 1 didn't deliver on the premise.  If it had been a much better movie, people of all ages (and not just kids) would be psyched for SLOP 2.  Remember, SLOP 1 drew from a large adult pet owner and lover audience, not just kids...which helped its BO.  But, I think that audience doesn't see the need to go this time around, or won't go if critics tell them it's more of the "same" - good ads, mediocre movie...

SLOP 1 was one of my biggest "disappointments" - there was SO MUCH that premise could have delivered on...and the trailers seemed like they would...and then it just didn't.  It wasn't bad...but it was just pretty average with a cute premise...

• Like 2

I still think SLOP2 will be fine. While I don’t think it’ll reach the heights of the first, I still think it’ll do well. A $70M+ 3-day or so. 

I also maybe wrong about this but I don’t see it as a movie that has a rush factor to it in terms of presales. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Toy Story 4 is gonna be the one animated movie that cleans up. Disney to the rescue, once again.

You know, apart from Frozen 2 and TS4 likely gargantuan grosses, animation hasn’t been as strong as it was in 2016. Hoping 2020 changes that.

As for Pets 2 I think it’ll be fine though it’s looking to have a massive decrease as it’s the first animated film since Dragon 3, The Lorax numbers seems right. Makes you wonder if Illumination may start to slowly lose it’s touch though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

@Deep Wang will you be giving it to us today or….

Those Booksmart numbers are keeping him a busy bee.

Fingers crossed that does well enough over the long weekend and avoids the Annapurna purse. I'm actually looking forward to it more than Aladdin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You know, apart from Frozen 2 and TS4 likely gargantuan grosses, animation hasn’t been as strong as it was in 2016. Hoping 2020 changes that.

As for Pets 2 I think it’ll be fine though it’s looking to have a massive decrease as it’s the first animated film since Dragon 3, The Lorax numbers seems right. Makes you wonder if Illumination may start to slowly lose it’s touch though.

Their upcoming slate is Minions 2, Sing 2, and Despicable Me 4 in that order, right? The former two should see similar decreases to SLoP2. Despicable Me 4 should do pretty well, though. Mario is also a potential new heavy-hitting franchise for Illumination.

I don’t really get why people are expecting Pets 2 to do poorly, while somehow being all high on Frozen 2? Granted Frozen 2 will do great...but it’s yet another year in this decade where a Disney/Pixar wins both on the DOM & WW-front when it comes to animated films. It’s rarely another animation studio....always Disney.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I don’t really get why people are expecting Pets 2 to do poorly, while somehow being all high on Frozen 2? Granted Frozen 2 will do great...but it’s yet another year in this decade where a Disney/Pixar wins both on the DOM & WW-front when it comes to animated films. It’s rarely another animation studio....always Disney.

SLoP 2's budget is probably around the first's budget ($75M), so it's basically flop-proof. Still, I think Illumination was hoping for a result closer to the original SLoP than the Lorax.

4 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

I really hope Mario stays away from the type of humor illumination usually does. I don’t find that kind of humor humorous.

More heartfelt and charm like Pikachu please.. less cheap and slapstick. 

dDcjZh.gif

Regarding animation...i thought i read somewhere after TS4 Disney said theyre going back to original projects (I cannot see them giving up on Frozen though) and getting away from sequels (at least in animation).

I Wonder if its diminishing returns on merchandise ( though supposedly cars still has huge merch sales). I know on the theme park front they opened Toy Story land to an okay response. Big push now in theme parks for them is Marvel Star Wars and Avatar. Which they have obviously lots of movies coming. I guess between those properties and the push for Live action/realistic remakes animation has to fit somewhere. Maybe the hope for another Frozen type smash