grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

50 minutes ago, jedijake said:

FWIW, there has only been ONE 3D IMAX showing for TLK in all Houston theaters each day since Thursday. I've never seen that for any big movie. 

I know that must have affected the numbers. I didn't see anything like that for TFA, the Avengers movies (well ANY marvel film for that matter) the Jurassic films, Incredibles 2, Aladdin, etc. They all had multiple 3D IMAX showings per day for at least the first week.

Wouldn’t less IMAX 3D mean more IMAX 2D? IMAX 2D is only $1 less. So I doubt there’s a noticeable effect.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brainbug said:

@Porthos doesnt rest. Even if he wants, he reminds himself of his dutys for this forum.

Reveal hidden contents

JCS gets suspended over multiple alt accounts and you suddenly log back in the next day???

tenor.gif

I'M WATCHING YOU!!!!!

(j/k, of course.  Missed you tons, Brainbug. :))

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

FWIW, there has only been ONE 3D IMAX showing for TLK in all Houston theaters each day since Thursday. I've never seen that for any big movie. 

I know that must have affected the numbers. I didn't see anything like that for TFA, the Avengers movies (well ANY marvel film for that matter) the Jurassic films, Incredibles 2, Aladdin, etc. They all had multiple 3D IMAX showings per day for at least the first week.

FWIW, EG had a noticeably higher share of 3D screens across the board than many recent blockbusters.  Most I'd seen since BP, if my vague recollections are correct. 

Aside from that, as was mentioned in the daily thread, 3D is just on a downward trend in the States.  Marketplace has spoken in the domestic market and right now it's a big fat rejection of 3D except from a core group that likes it.

====

If folks really care, I might check 3D penetration as well as 3D PLF penetration over the films I've tracked the last couple of years to see if my vague recollections are right. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, EG had a noticeably higher share of 3D screens across the board than many recent blockbusters.  Most I'd seen since BP, if my vague recollections are correct. 

Aside from that, as was mentioned in the daily thread, 3D is just on a downward trend in the States.  Marketplace has spoken in the domestic market and right now it's a big fat rejection of 3D except from a core group that likes it.

====

If folks really care, I might check 3D penetration as well as 3D PLF penetration over the films I've tracked the last couple of years to see if my vague recollections are right. 

EG was a case of theaters booking so much 3D b/c they knew there would be a demand for seats and people had to settle for 3D they would and pay the premium as well.   After the first couple of w/es it's not  a surprise the 3D showings went down - b/c there was more 2D choice available.

Looking at sales for blockbusters IMAX 2D always sells out well before IMAX 3D.   Dolby and IMAX 2D are neck in neck for first choice.  Then 2D.  Then IMAX 3D (if there's a choice for IMAX 2D) then 3D lagging well behind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My local added 3 preview shows last night

OUATIH (Tues 2:15pm)

4:15    21/255
7:50    79/255
8:30    7/205
9:30    10/246
10:25    0/218

117/1179 = 9.82%

This looks strong but I have no good comps for this but FWIW

Aladdin (TUES 12pm)  - 98/1242 =7.89%

TS4 (TUES: 4pm)  -  165/2049 = 8.05%

X-Men 6 (TUES 4pm)  103/942 = 10.93%

TLK (TUES 4:30pm) 444/3228 = 13.75%

Godz2: (WED 7:45pm) 135/ 1915 = 7.04%

SHAZAM  (WED After.)   129 / 2229 = 5.78%

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

My local added 3 preview shows last night

That's um... Quite the new avatar you got going there, TalismanRing.

Yes.  Quite... distinct.  Especially on a forum level.

Spoiler

I'm trying to be diplomatic here and not say how disconcerting it is to see a moving eye staring back at me on the forum level. :lol:

Where's it from anyway?

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That's um... Quite the new avatar you got going there, TalismanRing.

Yes.  Quite... distinct.  Especially on a forum level.

Hide contents

I'm trying to be diplomatic here and not say how disconcerting it is to see a moving eye staring back at me on the forum level. :lol:

Where's it from anyway?

It's from ...

the BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME  (unadjusted but still fun to say that)

:ca:  

I guess if I say in what context even though it's from a TV spot it would be a spoiler. 

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It's from ...

I guess if I say in what context even though it's from a TV spot it would be a spoiler. 

Oh it's from EG?  Got it.  👍   

It was just such a close up reaction shot, I couldn't get the context like I normally would.

Gracias. :)

(yes, I admit I'm terrible about catching up on Marvel movies - but at least I don't go on and on about it like SOME posters on this forum I could mention *cough* Tele *cough*)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's from ...

Interestingly, they also gave that comrade of him a similar shot in outer space in the first arc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

yes, I admit I'm terrible about catching up on Marvel movies - but at least I don't go on and on about it like SOME posters on this forum I could mention *cough* Tele *cough*)

No Way Reaction GIF by Laff

the shade GIF by Pepsi

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, TwoMisfits said:

On Lion King, 1st local (Cinemark) is set, and they kept their enormous 6 screens for TLK, but did not add to it.  Here is the set...

NEW

TLK (6 - 32 shows - that's Endgame amounts for showings, although not screens - 7 3d, 25 2d)

RETURNING

Spidey (2 - 10 showings) - dropped 1 screen/5 showings - not bad in TLK's wake

Toys 4 (1 - 5 showings) - dropped 1 screen/5 showings

Crawl (1 - 5 showings) - same

Stuber ( 1 - 5 showings) - same

Aladdin (.8 - 4 showings) - dropped 1 showing

Anabelle (.2 - 1 showing) - dropped 4 showings - last showing of night on Aladdin screen

GONE

Midsommar, Yesterday, a few foreign films...

In good news for the following weekend, it's obvious that the holdovers should have plenty of space to continue since TLK will give up 2 screens + to the new openers...only thing will be if they drop Anabelle (expected) and Aladdin (which I expect if it gets to the cheap-o)...of course, Stuber and Crawl might not be long for staying, either...this is a long way of saying Toys 4 and Spidey will have a long, long stay here:)...

PS - This Cinemark obviously wanted to get the jump on those TMobile users:)...earliest set in my area for the weekend...

So, crazy set this weekend at 1st local (Cinemark).  Even though they never sold out a showing of TLK last weekend, they are MAINTAINING SIX screens out of 12 for this movie.  As I mentioned on the Monday thread, either that means the rumors of Disney playing hardball are true...or this theater really has nothing better...here's the set, which is not advantageous to the opener...but is totally advantageous to Disney - did I mention those terms?:)

NEW

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (1.5 - 8 showings - both on SMALLEST screens)

Dear Comrade (1 - 5 - smallest screen)

RETURNING

TLK (6 - 30 showings - 6 3d, 24 2d) - crazy it kept this many and the big screens, too 

Spidey (1 - 5 showings) - dropped a screen for the opener b/c something had to

Toys 4 (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Aladdin (.75 - 4 showings) - same as last week

GONE

Crawl, Stuber, Anabelle

I'm shocked that both Crawl and Stuber are gone and TLK keeps SIX!  That's so stupid unless it was contractually required b/c did I mention they couldn't sell out the 6 screens last weekend, and they were selling tickets to those other movies - I mean, they could have split them on TLK screens and given the evenings to each one...but no.  

There is .75 of a screen left, probably going to a few more foreign film single showings...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone else remember the days when we went from 1 screen theatres to 6(!)? And each screen played a DIFFERENT movie? From different studios?

Those were the days.......

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, crazy set this weekend at 1st local (Cinemark).  Even though they never sold out a showing of TLK last weekend, they are MAINTAINING SIX screens out of 12 for this movie.  As I mentioned on the Monday thread, either that means the rumors of Disney playing hardball are true...or this theater really has nothing better...here's the set, which is not advantageous to the opener...but is totally advantageous to Disney - did I mention those terms?:)

NEW

RETURNING

TLK (6 - 30 showings - 6 3d, 24 2d) - crazy it kept this many and the big screens, too 

GONE

Crawl, Stuber, Anabelle

I'm shocked that both Crawl and Stuber are gone and TLK keeps SIX!  That's so stupid unless it was contractually required b/c did I mention they couldn't sell out the 6 screens last weekend, and they were selling tickets to those other movies - I mean, they could have split them on TLK screens and given the evenings to each one...but no.  

There is .75 of a screen left, probably going to a few more foreign film single showings...

That's a lot of showings.

That are so few movies.

On the other hand, the local Cinestar Bremen (Germany) added a 10pm 2D show on Thursday, Friday and Saturday compared to OWend (so it actually has one more showing this Wend)

Just for fun looked at my local cinema, it has 11 screens:

Spoiler

New:

Abikalypse: 3 showings (2D)

The Three !!!: 3 showings (2D)

Vox Lux: 1 showing (2D)

Returning:

TLK: 13 showings (7 3D, 5 2d except Sunday: 6 3D 4 2D 1 2D OV) (up from 12 on OWend, apart from Saturday that also had 13 during OWend)

Anna: 2 showings (Sunday only 1) (2D)

Child's Play: 2 showings (Sunday only 1) (2D)

Little Aladin: 1 showing (2D)

Annabelle 3: 2 showings (Sunday only 1) (2D)

Kroos: 1 showing (2D)

SM FFH: 4 showings (3 3D, 1 2D on Sunday only 2 3D)

Traumfabrik: 1 showing (2D)

Pets 2: 7 showings (3 3D, 4 2D)

Five Feet Apart: 2 showings (2D)

Bailey: 1 showing (2D)

MIBI: 2 showings (1 3D, 1 2D)

TKKG: 1 showing (2D)

X-Men DP: 1 showing (3D)

Godzilla: 1 showing (only on Thursday and Saturday) (3D)

Mister Link: 1 showing

Aladdin: 2 showings (1 3D, 1 2D on Friday and Sunday only 1 showing in 2D)

John Wick 3: 1 showing (2D)

Pokemon: 2 showings (2D) (this is weird, more than Aladdin, wtf)

Endgame: 1 showing (3D none on Sunday) in it's 13th week

Sagenhaften Vier: 1 showing (2D) (this is a movie about the town musicians of Bremen, a fairly tale by the Brothers Grimm) also in it's 14th week

And one time showings:

Benjamin Blümchen: 1 showing on Sunday (2D) (for families)

concert movie - Andre Rieu - Maastricht-concert 2019: 1 showing on Sunday

Leaving:

Long Shot (last showing tomorrow) after 5 weeks (this is incredibly early)

Glam Girls (last showing tomorrow) after 11 weeks

Royal Corgi (last showing tomorrow) after 12 weeks

So in total 3 new movies, 21 remaining movies, 2 one time events and 3 movies leaving

so TLK has 2 screens fully and then some showings on two others.

That cinema often leaves the evening slots on Sunday empty, like Endgame got 22pm showing on Sunday, TLK, Spidey etc. didn't. Only other movie that will get them this year is RTOS and maybe IT 2 (horror movie).

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Inceptionzq said:

OUATIH Thursday Night Showings Denver Metro

AMC Westminster Promenade 24: 

2D: 

4 PM – 36/158(+10)

4:30 PM – 15/94(+15)

7:45 PM – 94/158(+31)

8:15 PM – 37/94(+29)

11:20 PM – 10/158

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

2D: 

4 PM – 14/159(+5)

5 PM – 27/159(+2)

6:15 PM – 33/85(+20)

7:45 PM – 30/159(+12)

8:45 PM – 16/159(+5)

9:45 PM – 12/85(+9)

Total from 8 theaters (29 showings): 557(+228)/3745 (14.9%)

Over the course of 3 days, this actually seems pretty good. 

OUATIH Thursday Night Showings Denver Metro

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

2D:

4 PM – 42/158(+6)

4:30 PM – 22/94(+7)

7:45 PM – 106/158(+12)

8:15 PM – 48/94(+11)

11:20 PM – 11/158(+1)

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

2D:

4 PM – 14/159

5 PM – 33/159(+6)

6:15 PM – 41/85(+8)

7:45 PM – 45/159(+15)

8:45 PM – 19/159(+3)

9:45 PM – 16/85(+4)

Total from 8 theaters (34 showings): 711(+154)/4045(+300) (17.8%)

I don’t know what it did yesterday, but I think it was an increase. It did over two-thirds of what it did over those three days that I posted yesterday. I’m pretty sure that’s good.

I forgot to mention that yesterday TLK comp pointed towards a 3.4M Thursday Night. Today it is 3.75M. Unsurprisingly, that leads me to believe it isn’t a good comp. So, don’t take it seriously.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

NEW

RETURNING

GONE

Crawl, Stuber, Anabelle

That is so, so sad that Crawl and Stuber will already be gone. Two weeks from release. Were sales really that bad at your theatre?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I just want to say again, I don't know what the studios were doing when it comes to July this year. 6 wide releases in total??? Sure, there were a couple guaranteed mega hits (Spider-Man: Far From Home and The Lion King) but a few other movies could have still co-existed. 

Plus. August 2-4 will be the third straight weekend with ONE wide release. Crazy!

46 minutes ago, JB33 said:

That is so, so sad that Crawl and Stuber will already be gone. Two weeks from release. Were sales really that bad at your theatre?

No...but something had to go when they decided to keep TLK on that many screens...

On 7/16/2019 at 7:22 PM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local is in...and they are also going all in on The Lion King, with the same 32 showings, across 6.4 screens.  Holdovers got CRUSHED here, if not affiliated with Disney (part of the TLK deal???:) or opened last week...here's the set...

NEW 

TLK (6.4 -32 showings - same showings as Endgame - 5 3d, 27 2d)

RETURNING

Spidey (1.2 - 6 showings) - it gets a late night showing from TLK - lost 1.4 screens/7 showings - not as good as other local

Toys 4 (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Aladdin (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Stuber (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Crawl (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Endgame (.2 - 1 showing) - gets a late night showing from TLK - lost the rest of the screen from last week

Anabelle (.2 - 1 showing) - gets a late night showing from TLK - lost the rest of the screen from last week

GONE

Midsommar, Yesterday, MIB 4, SLOP 2, JW3 (finally leaves)

2nd local (Regal) is in...and they got a better deal:)...they also sold out no TLK shows last weekend, so whether allowed or not, they are dropping some screens (or at least showings from screens) from TLK...still very tight and very Disney, but here's the set...

NEW

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (3 - yes, they got 3 here - Hallelujah! - 12 showings - all unfortunately on average or small screens, so still not good)

Booksmart (returning!! .2 - 1 showing - it gets a late night showing from TLK - small screen)

RETURNING

TLK (4.6 - 24 showings - 5 3d, 19 2d) - kept biggest screeens, but lost almost 2 screens

Crawl (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Spidey (1.2 - 6 showings) - same as last week, except it gets an extra morning show instead of late night

Toys 4 (1 - 6 showings) - same as last week

Aladdin (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

GONE

Stuber, Endgame, Anabelle

So, Stuber is again already gone, but at least Crawl got saved...it's nice to see OUATIH actually getting some seats, since with not getting any big screens, it was looking at a very low total without the extra showings (it was only preset with 1 screen, so it added 2 full today).  Although note, of the returning movies from last week, only Crawl has survived as a non-Disney related option...and this is another 12...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1