grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Ummm..

Did we know that Knives Out tickets are on sale?!?!?

@captainwondyful @Eric! @TalismanRing

===

Seems to be an early preview on Fri Nov 22nd??? 7pm, one showing at a couple of Regals.

Investigating...

No showtimes appear anywhere near my area. Fandango only has its FanAlert message. Maybe it's just your area being special, being in Cali and whatnot. Besides, I'm not gonna bother tracking it until release week. 3-Day range from BOP doesn't come anywhere close to 40M

• Like 1

Okay, nothing on the 28th or the weekend of the 29th.  Must be an early Fandango preview on the 22nd???

*checks Atom*

Okay, this is weird.  It has Century Doco having preview showings on Tue Nov 26th (7pm/9:55pm) then going wide on Wed Nov 27th.

EDIT:::  double checks:  Okay, Wed is when it goes live according to BOM so that makes sense.

Those showings for Cen Doco ARE NOT on Fandango.

Weird.

More investigation forthcoming.

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eric! said:

No showtimes appear anywhere near my area. Fandango only has its FanAlert message. Maybe it's just your area being special, being in Cali and whatnot. Besides, I'm not gonna bother tracking it until release week. 3-Day range from BOP doesn't come anywhere close to 40M

I was more letting you know coz I vaguely recall you being interested in the film. ;)  

Still point taken. :)

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Just checked.  Five Regals in NYC have 7pm showings for Nov 22  :D

You're welcome. ;)

===

Just checked Regal's site, and it's billed as Early Access. So it's not tied to Fandango.

Just checked Cinemark's site annnnnd... Knives Out showtimes are listed but not available for sale.

So what I figure happened is that someone uploaded the schedule to Atom but forgot to set the Do Not Sell Flag.

Oops. :lol: 

Anyway, official launch will probably be after the weekend.

Times like this I miss Pulse, BTW.  Let us know when theaters were being naughty and selling things when they shouldn't. ;)

Only found out about it now as I was skipping ahead to see if showtimes for, shall we say, Certain Movies had been uploaded onto the schedule yet. :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Y'all wake me up for this.  My theaters have no showtimes yet.  

1... You actually sleep? News to me. :lol: 

2... Not my problem. ;)

(Though, does mean they should be on sale Real Soon Now everywhere)

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

1... You actually sleep? News to me. :lol: 

Hush you.

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

2... Not my problem. ;)

(Though, does mean they should be on sale Real Soon Now everywhere)

No, no, it was the right call.  Though I can't imagine why they are going on sale this early.  Two months seems excessive.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Though I can't imagine why they are going on sale this early.  Two months seems excessive.  

bJTiO57.jpg

Maybe they want to follow the trail blazed by Charlie's Angels. :lol: 

1 minute ago, StarWarsMemer said:

maleficent ?

"Could be better, Bob!"

===

Who knows.  Tracking is pointing to around 40m to 50m OW.  The little pre-sale ticket info we have in this thread isn't as encouraging. But it also really could be a movie that won't sell tickets until very close to release.

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"Could be better, Bob!"

===

Who knows.  Tracking is pointing to around 40m to 50m OW.  The little pre-sale ticket info we have in this thread isn't as encouraging. But it also really could be a movie that won't sell tickets until very close to release.

Though now that I think about it...

A Wrinkle in Time had 1.3m in previews in March 2018.  Eric!'s tracking is currently pointing anywhere from 1.2m to 3.5m (big range I know).

AWiT managed to get 33m off that 1.3m (25.4x). 

Now this is an established property, so could be that's a really stupid comp.  Going allll the way back to (lol) 2014, the first Maleficent did 16.5x off a 4.2m Thur.  Let's knock it down to 14x or 15x maybe for more pre-sales now and being a sequel?  Maybe?

(NOTE: I still don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to internal multipliers, so feel free to ignore :lol:)

If we go with 14x though, might want to see at least a 3.5m Thr. 

*checks*

Dumbo did 2.6m on its way to a 46m OW (17.7x).  That maaaaybe might be a decent-ish comp, all things considered?

Certainly says to me that 3m Thur might lead to a 50m OW after all. Maybe.  Sequel factor might raise its head here.

Regardless, nothing pointing to a breakout.  Yet at least.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I predicted 105 OW.

Good for you. But nothing was pointing towards that prior to release. 

17 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Hard to really compare TS4 which had monstrous legs and did 1.058 billion world wide to this film.

Hmm, TS4 definitely underperformed though. Domestically, overseas and overall worldwide. Also missed industry tracking on opening weekend. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

13 hours ago, RthTIFF said:

Shame they are looking to demolish the Scotiabank Toronto replace with two 40 story apartment complex

Wow. I worked at uptown before it got demolished. Its always sad to lose a theatre. Scotia isnt that old is it?

18 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Wow. I worked at uptown before it got demolished. Its always sad to lose a theatre. Scotia isnt that old is it?

20yrs,TIFF will hate it, lose Imax Theatre No cinema complex in entertainment er district 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ummm..

Did we know that Knives Out tickets are on sale?!?!?

@captainwondyful @Eric! @TalismanRing

===

Seems to be an early preview on Fri Nov 22nd??? 7pm, one showing at a couple of Regals.

Investigating...

That the movie with a horrible cast?

Just kidding. I wasn't sure it would be that big but it's one of the films I am most excited about seeing in a long time. Cast is just outrageous.