grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

18 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What a puny show count. You don't get ti complain till the show count is more than 250.

Showings

Spoiler

(if I subtract non reserved seating theaters but add DBOX, it's 277 separate seat maps I have to check)

1ylpd3npaw60.gif

• Haha 4

I was thinking that for regional comps, we may perhaps just ignore first day & see how it compares with other films in daily pace. 

I believe 2nd day may still have some spillover, from tomorrow I guess it will be calmed down enough to start judging daily pace. I suppose it gotta mantain like 2.5-3x daily pace of Eternals, BW, etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was thinking that for regional comps, we may perhaps just ignore first day & see how it compares with other films in daily pace. 

I believe 2nd day may still have some spillover, from tomorrow I guess it will be calmed down enough to start judging daily pace. I suppose it gotta mantain like 2.5-3x daily pace of Eternals, BW, etc.

23 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

Good news folks — we ended up with a better comp than we were expecting to have :hahaha:  

Not to give too much extra work for people who are already doing much more than me, but I think a useful stat to incorporate for this one after things settle down in a few days and we switch to T- is probably the rate extrapolated T-. That is to say, if future tickets are same ratio of endgame’s future tickets as the last day (or 2, or 3) have been, how will it comp with endgame final.

I think D3 will also be spillover. After that I guess we can look at rate extrapolated from 2021 mcu but rate extrapolated Endgame and TROS seem more valuable from people who have the historical data to do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

I think D3 will also be spillover. After that I guess we can look at rate extrapolated from 2021 mcu but rate extrapolated Endgame and TROS seem more valuable from people who have the historical data to do it.

While it's a decent enough idea, my tracking situation is different enough to make that a non-starter on my end.  While I have day-to-day overall historical data, I can't access the per theater day-to-day data, which means I can't adjust for it to account for my current tracking.

Thus, I will have to bow out on this idea.

(plus, like you know, all that extra work)

• Like 2

I don't know how prevalent this is, but at least one MTC2 theater is hiking NWH tickets up by $2, while leaving other movies at a lower price. This is after a round of ticket price increases across the board in the region just a month or so ago.

In fact, as I check a bit deeper, it looks like they have semi-variable pricing going on right now.

Standard 2D ticket price:

Encanto ticket tonight:  $13

WSS ticket [premiere]:  $14

NWH ticket [premiere]: $15

Haven't seen this at other locals yet, but then again I am only half-way paying attention to ticket prices, only glancing at them to make sure which places were having matinees and which weren't.

Not gonna Name and Shame the local in question, but this is definitely a "C'mon now" situation, IMO.

*does even more digging*

Looks like the $15 price point is in effect for NWH Thr-Sat, but is back to "only" $14 on Sun.  Now I'm curious to see what they're doing for WSS.

14/14/14/13 for Thr/Fr/Sat/Sun.  13 is the "normal" price for 2D tickets 

Huh.

GOOD NEWS, @TalismanRing!  At least one theater here is finally using your long suggested idea of variable pricing!!

(you were suggesting that they do it to hike in-demand movies, right? qnqGT0e.png)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

In Denver WSS has higher prices than NWH… NWH does have higher prices than movies out right now though. Pretty weird

• Like 1

Bad news folks, I am not able to get MTC1 data. The block this time is painful and I have tried some workarounds but its not working. I have asked @Menor to see if he can track. Until then its just MTC2. Thinking that most interesting part of this movies tracking is done. Now real action will only happen in the final week. Will post preview update soon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't know how prevalent this is, but at least one MTC2 theater is hiking NWH tickets up by $2, while leaving other movies at a lower price. This is after a round of ticket price increases across the board in the region just a month or so ago.

In fact, as I check a bit deeper, it looks like they have semi-variable pricing going on right now.

Haven't seen this at other locals yet, but then again I am only half-way paying attention to ticket prices, only glancing at them to make sure which places were having matinees and which weren't.

Not gonna Name and Shame the local in question, but this is definitely a "C'mon now" situation, IMO.

*does even more digging*

Looks like the $15 price point is in effect for NWH Thr-Sat, but is back to "only" $14 on Sun.  Now I'm curious to see what they're doing for WSS.

14/14/14/13 for Thr/Fr/Sat/Sun.  13 is the "normal" price for 2D tickets 

Huh.

GOOD NEWS, @TalismanRing!  At least one theater here is finally using your long suggested idea of variable pricing!!

(you were suggesting that they do it to hike in-demand movies, right? qnqGT0e.png)

I was leaning more to them decreasing the ticket price for lower budget films to make them more appealing than waiting to watch it on TV/PPV/VOD.   Of course they'd go in the other direction for the quick buck.  After they'll go back to whining why people don't show up for the films in between blockbusters...

• Like 3

I've got a working-ish script for one of the 3 local chains that I previously tracked.  Hopefully I'll have the 2nd ready tomorrow at which point I'll start posting updates.  Too busy to get anything else done tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I was leaning more to them decreasing the ticket price for lower budget films to make them more appealing than waiting to watch it on TV/PPV/VOD.  

That was the joke, yes. ;)  I recall you banging this drum quite a bit even before the 'rona reared its ugly head.  Taking the idea of Discount Tuesday/Senior Monday to its logical conclusion.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Of course they'd go in the other direction for the quick buck.  After they'll go back to whining why people don't show up for the films in between blockbusters...

Yeppers.  Completely and utterly predictable (penny wise, pound foolish), but whatchagonna do?  Have to keep an eye out on how prevalent this is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

@Deep Wang You uhh, gonna be able to repeat this in 16 days? :P

Oh believe me I already texted my dude!

However, he had told me a couple months ago, "That one page where I used to screenshot isn't accessible to me anymore."  So, unless they put out a big spread kinda like they did with Black Panther, I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Eric Madrigal said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 129 11770 25482 46.19%

Comp

1.550x of Black Widow's Final Count (20.46M)

2.247x of Venom 2's Final Count (20.07M)

Adjusted Comp

0.972x of Star Wars: TROS T-17 (38.9M)

So for context's sake: The reason why I'm doing final count for Widow and Venom is, simply put, the film is outclassing every film that came out this year by a landslide in just one day. This is the first time since Rise of Skywalker I had to compare final counts because the ranking was so high, which goes to show you just how earth-shattering this movie is doing right now.

And while I know many people are comparing to TROS' first day, the big bombshell here is that at the same T-17 mark, Home is already on par with Rise, which was already on sale for about two months or so at the same point in time. That says a hell of a lot. Way more than this outpacing every 2021 movie.

Papa Feige, you've done it again!

Spider-Man: No Way Home Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-16 and Counting

TOTALS 0 176 13,128 32,356 40.57%

Total Showings Added Today: 47

Total Seats Added Today: 6,874

Total Seats Sold Today: 1,358

Comp

1.729x of Black Widow's Final Count (22.82M)

2.506x of Venom 2's Final Count (29.07M)

Adjusted Comp

1.080x of Star Wars: TROS T-16 (43.2M)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 11/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, Eric Madrigal said:

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-23 and Counting

TOTALS 1 50 1460 9642 15.14%

Total Seats Sold Today: 16

...I don't know, what do you want me to say?

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-22 and Counting

TOTALS 1 50 1465 9642 15.19%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Spiderman No Way Home MTC2

Previews - 259824/681532 3378618.04 4618 shows // 25 hours of data

Friday - 185092/802030 2260664.67 5005 shows

Saturday - 110805/820953 1327688.63 5149 shows

Spiderman No Way Home MTC2 

Previews(T-16) - 293140/737244 3798686.59 5105 shows +33316

Friday(T-17) - 212143/894524 2576216.87 5783 shows +27051

Saturday(T-18) - 138355/912800 1657003.94 5929 shows +27550

Another big Jump in show count and crazy strong day as well. Its well ahead of SW9 and so unchartered territory for me(I did not track Endgame). I am not sure how final week PS would be but there is limited potential with peak time shows close to sellouts. I already see really late shows put in which were non existent in COVID era. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 2