tenor.gif

This was the top 5 at the same number of days out:

MT TOP5

Mockingjay: 23.2%
Star Wars: 19.1%
The Good Dinosaur: 17.8%
Creed: 12.1%

Spectre: 5%

Pretty telling that TLJ did better than TFA at this same day in time. Plus the fact that this weekend looked to be on par with/slightly stronger than that same weekend in 2015.

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 1

Holy, fox had really better get started on their marketing for Maze Runner. Like seriously. They've got a film that cost probably close to 100M coming out in less than 2 months that honestly should be able to gross 200-250M WW. So don't fuck it up and find yourselves dealing with another Allegiant :lol:

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Holy, fox had really better get started on their marketing for Maze Runner. Like seriously. They've got a film that cost probably close to 100M coming out in less than 2 months that honestly should be able to gross 200-250M WW. So don't fuck it up and find yourselves dealing with another Allegiant :lol:

I don't think it matters as much here as it did with Divergent - unlike Allegiant, this one was always intended as the last installment and isn't getting split into two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Looking at the conversation metric posted the other day, if that comscore metric is somewhat reliable, it look like Fox is spending quite the fortune on the Internet marketing, where that movie audience probably is.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Looking at the conversation metric posted the other day, if that comscore metric is somewhat reliable, it look like Fox is spending quite the fortune on the Internet marketing, where that movie audience probably is.

To be fair, I'm a teenager, and I'm a fan of the series... so shouldn't I be hearing more about it then? :lol: 

You can't go off what one person says of course, I'm just surprised how quiet it has seemed

As I said, tracking looks phenomenal for TLJ based on social media metrics. The big question still is how will walk-ups compare to those of TFA. How many of those non diehards that saw TFA will also decide to show up for TLJ? You know, the mom's, the aunts and uncles and grandparents.

I just think TFA was too big a phenomenon for TLJ to top it, opening weekend or total, however I do think the opening weekend will come closer than many think.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

As I said, tracking looks phenomenal for TLJ based on social media metrics. The big question still is how will walk-ups compare to those of TFA. How many of those non diehards that saw TFA will also decide to show up for TLJ? You know, the mom's, the aunts and uncles and grandparents.

I just think TFA was too big a phenomenon for TLJ to top it, opening weekend or total, however I do think the opening weekend will come closer than many think.

I'm fully on board the 240/800+ train

Are any of the following features stirring anything up, or are December Holiday #'s going to be like Novembers???  It sure is going to be alot  of new product.  Will Disney support Thor still?  Can JL steal screens from Wonder?  DH and Murder's legs will be cut off quick.  May need an Arrival push to get to 100M.  Maybe Bad Moms 2 can take command of second run in week 8.  Is Disney going to put Thor in second run theaters in week 8?  They would sure command alot of the market then.  Hmm......

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

Friday

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
All the Money in the World
Crime
TriStar Wide
Downsizing
Comedy / Drama
Paramount Wide
Father Figures
Comedy
Warner Bros. Wide
Pitch Perfect 3
Comedy
Universal Wide

Wednesday

The Greatest Showman
Musical
Fox Wide
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Action
Sony / Columbia Wide
Edited by Matrix4You

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I'm fully on board the 240/800+ train

The metrics look great.  I hope to see more TLJ>TFA predictions as it's certainly possible.  May not sell as many tickets but the average ticket price will be higher than TFA given price increases and every PLF seat full (and more of them out there).  We will see if Regal dabbles in surge pricing as they said (no better opportunity)

Edited by Rumpot

I think Star Wars saw a big push yesterday b/c all my AMCs opened up tickets through Christmas week...lots of news shows with new tickets available, when pretty much all the OW shows were sold out...Regal and Cinemark have still not matched this presale action yet, so TLJ could stay up awhile as each new chain opens the presale tickets...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Are any of the following features stirring anything up, or are December Holiday #'s going to be like Novembers???  It sure is going to be alot  of new product.  Will Disney support Thor still?  Can JL steal screens from Wonder?  DH and Murder's legs will be cut off quick.  May need an Arrival push to get to 100M.  Maybe Bad Moms 2 can take command of second run in week 8.  Is Disney going to put Thor in second run theaters in week 8?  They would sure command alot of the market then.  Hmm......

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

Friday

All the Money in the World
Crime
TriStar Wide
Downsizing
Comedy / Drama
Paramount Wide
Father Figures
Comedy
Warner Bros. Wide
Pitch Perfect 3
Comedy
Universal Wide

Wednesday

The Greatest Showman
Musical
Fox Wide
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Action
Sony / Columbia Wide

There's no way All the Money in the World is opening in wide release in three weeks. Everything released before The Last Jedi (except for Ferdinand obviously and perhaps Coco) is gonna be demolished that week.

1st local (Cinemark) is up for the weekend...here's the spread...

NEW

3 Billboards (1) (took JL screen)

Returning

Coco (2 - now 3 3d shows, 7 2d, but same number of showings)

JL (2 - lost a screen - now 1 3d show, 9 2d shows - had 14 showings last weekend)

Roman J Israel (1)

Wonder (1)

The Star (1 with a caveat - 5 showings but 10pm pulled for another movie)

DH2 (1)

MOE (1)

Thor (1)

Bad Moms (1 showing - The Star one)

It looks like this cinema will be back to showing Bollywood, but just on 1 screen for now, since only 11 of 12 screens are allocated...

Edit To Add: Last screen is shared with Firangi and Jawaan (2 showings each).  I expect them to be 1 week books with 2 more foreign movies (or more) the next week as the market stays slimmed down til Star 8...

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 hours ago, JB33 said:

I think most people who saw TFA will see TLJ.. after all, it left off on a major cliffhanger. the bigger issue will be how much repeat business this can get from the diehards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

1st local (Cinemark) is up for the weekend...here's the spread...

NEW

3 Billboards (1) (took JL screen)

Returning

Coco (2 - now 3 3d shows, 7 2d, but same number of showings)

JL (2 - lost a screen - now 1 3d show, 9 2d shows - had 14 showings last weekend)

Roman J Israel (1)

Wonder (1)

The Star (1 with a caveat - 5 showings but 10pm pulled for another movie)

DH2 (1)

MOE (1)

Thor (1)

Bad Moms (1 showing - The Star one)

It looks like this cinema will be back to showing Bollywood, but just on 1 screen for now, since only 11 of 12 screens are allocated...

This is the one that didn't get Lady Bird last week, right?

This is quite remarkable...

Cineplex (Which owns 80% of the Theater market in Canada) will have all Star War Showings during the Holidays with reserved seating only. 

AVX, 3D or 2D. 

I applaud this as I can watch SW8 in 2D rather then overpriced offerings 

Many (maybe all?) of the large format venues (including our one "real" IMAX at Regal Pointe Orlando) in metro Orlando seem to be offering 2D showings of TLJ, but none are during prime-time. There's usually one lunchtime show around 1130 or 1230 that's 2D.

Better than nothing, I guess. But the chains around here are still milking that 3D cow during normal hours.

The big IMAX at MODS in Ft. Lauderdale is also showing a mix of 2D & 3D, with more variety in the showtimes. This used to have 70mm, but it was replaced last year :(