grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

As someone who loved Cars1 and could not finish Cars2...I really really want Cars3 to do well. I will take 160.

There are so many movies in the 160-180 range this year.

Hidden Figures (technically last week of Dec 2016 but only in 25 theaters till 2nd week of Jan 2017....so 2016 can suck it)

Kong

Get Out

Lego Bat

POTC5

Boss Baby

Add TF5 to that list...imo sub-180.

Cars3 probably

Apes3 could do 170-180

21 minutes ago, raegr said:

Pulse:

1) WW

2) Pirates

3) CU

4) WW

5) Guardians

MT: 

1) Pirates (25%)

2) WW (20%)

3) David Gilmour Live At Pompeii (13%)

4) Guardians (8%)

5) Baywitch (7%)

Captain Underpants makes an appearance though not yet on MT....

Eyez is going to open no more than 20M. There's been not a lot of marketing, and hype is nowhere near SOC 2 years ago. 

Wonder Woman I see easily doing 100+, and I'm not going to be surprised with 125-135

Mummy I don't think does anything outside of what's expected. 45/125

Transfirmers will be similar to pirates (60 3-day, 150-180 total)

Cars I think at this point will play likeCars 2, unless it gets stellar reviews. 

Rough Night will be eaten alive by the House IMO. 23/60 for it.

Yea, June looks... alright I guess? July is going to be way better

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

In addition to V-Day and the Mon holiday softening Sun, Deadpool was in February.  Most colleges are out now and a significant amt of lower grade schools so higher previews to w/e rations. 

This is shown by GOTG2 which not only opened higher but had a greater Thur to w/e ratios than the first in August.  That did 8.39  WW is significantly more known property and DC films tend to be slightly more preview to  w/e front loaded than MCU so I'd think that would be the upper level.

Is the T-Mobile discount just for previews or the entire w/e?  If the former that might skew previews heavier as well.

I believe it's for the entire weekend or was it just for Saturday? I don't think it was for the previews though.

But yes you're right in regards to colleges and some schools being out so previews will be higher because most folks don't have school the next day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

C-minus cinemascore, not far from Blair Witch 2016 D+ and like you said it had only opened to 8.8m and had great/excellent press to support it and still didn't triple is small OW.

Hate is maybe a strong word, but very mixed at best (my audience match that cinemascore score, with some vocal reaction at the end)

CinemaScore is about as reliable as a punch to the balls (especially when it comes to horror). And, while it didn't triple its OW, horror is usually not the leggiest genre, and it could've barely doubled it on top of not tripling it (like Blair Witch, that opened only 1M higher despite being a much higher profile horror release).

Of course it had some hate, but I especifically said it "didn't have that much audience hate". It's not Alien: Covenant divisive, for example.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Eyez is going to open no more than 20M. There's been not a lot of marketing, and hype is nowhere near SOC 2 years ago. 

Wonder Woman I see easily doing 100+, and I'm not going to be surprised with 125-135

Mummy I don't think does anything outside of what's expected. 45/125

Transfirmers will be similar to pirates (60 3-day, 150-180 total)

Cars I think at this point will play likeCars 2, unless it gets stellar reviews. 

Rough Night will be eaten alive by the House IMO. 23/60 for it.

Yea, June looks... alright I guess? July is going to be way better

You forgot Baby Driver. 

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Movie Tickets updated their layout (Darn, the colors and sizes are not translating over)

Trending Movies

Top tickets sold in the last 24 hours on MovieTickets.com.

30.2%

17%

13.5%

8.4%

5.5%

Will be interesting to see how high WW gets by the end of the night. I would go look at the other films and see where they're at but alas that thread is no more. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 1:00 AM, grim22 said:

It was at 40% end of day.

GOTG2 at the end of Monday

Less competition over the previous w/e with FF8 doing $19m, Latin Lover $12m & Baahubali $10 but $5.8m/ $4m &  $2.98m (Boss Baby) on Sunday

But comparing to the previous day -

This Tues:  so far only have numbers for from the top 3 of Baywatch $2.53m

Edit: $6.8m Pirates & $2.2m for GOTG2

Edited by TalismanRing

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

GOTG2 at the end of Monday

Less competition over the previous w/e with FF8 doing $19m, Latin Lover $12m & Baahubali $10 but $5.8m/ $4m &  $2.98m (Boss Baby) on Sunday

But comparing to the previous day -

This Tues:  so far only have numbers for from the top 3 of Baywatch $2.53m

With all the flops this past weekend, does WW have competition :ph34r:

Just realized that Wonder Woman previews will be slightly affected thanks to NBA Finals Game 1. 25M viewers expected for the finals, and shows in Ohio and the Bay Area will be affected for sure as well. Not a huge hit, but when 25M eyeballs have been drawn away, it can be a hit on the margins

• Like 7

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm a bit worried about early and mid-June.  What looked like it could be a stellar June isn't looking great.  

Wonder Woman is going to break out, but Pirates of the Caribbean / Baywatch / Alien are all going to fall apart.  

Then the following week The Mummy is going to under perform and get trashed.  It Comes At Night is great, but it is not a commercial film on any level and will draw general audience hate almost the same as The Witch did.  Rough Night is mediocre at best and isn't that funny.  Transformers is on the same path that Pirates is on. 

I don't think POTC is going to collapse; WOM seems strong.

So far the Rough Night screening reactions have been fine; it's definitely not getting trashed on the level Baywatch was after its Dolby Cinema AMC screenings. I think it can do 20/60 or so.

Umm.. Yeah, NBA finals gonna hurt it a bit on Thursday. That's why WB bombarded the NBA playoffs with ads for Wonder Woman last 30 days. They want to make sure that 25m eyes will go see Wonder Woman eventually