grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

51 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

Wonder Woman N.1 on Fandango Pulse

Picking up speed- avg about 40 sales per minute (Pirates was at 30 at this time last week) vs 15 yesterday evening.

[yes we don't know how many tickets are in each sale but it's more data to crunch]

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

Is anybody still gonna be surprised if it does over SS OW? I mean yeah we should all always be cautious but surely we can all feel how the tide is going?

It's always fine to caution users regarding their enthusiasm and how it might lead to disappointment but can anyone blame people about being excited about this idea when more and more keeps stacking up in favor of it? Sometimes you just gotta let yourself get carried away.

• Like 1

Just saw an ad for Cars 3 on The Americans that said it'll be in select IMAX theaters. I'm guessing this will be another GOTG/Alien situation where theaters with multiple PLFs keep The Mummy in IMAX and Cars in the other PLF.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Is anybody still gonna be surprised if it does over SS OW? I mean yeah we should all always be cautious but surely we can all feel how the tide is going?

It's always fine to caution users regarding their enthusiasm and how it might lead to disappointment but can anyone blame people about being excited about this idea when more and more keeps stacking up in favor of it? Sometimes you just gotta let yourself get carried away.

Looking at pre-sales in NYC  I would be mildly surprised though not shocked. 

LA Times has tracking now at less than the last time at $80-90 and WB just soft balled it with $65-70 (not happening).

I'm not seeing the tide yet that supports the claim that SS's OW is the floor

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

How does that compare to previous tent poles, like FF7, FF8, SS or GOTG2?

Can't quite remember. I do recall looking at the Thursday showings for FF8 and SS and if memory serves, probably had a couple more showings, but my memory never was that sharp :lol:, they all could've been 7 or 8 showings.

And checking the other theater across town, they have 6 showings (2 LIEMAX 3D, 2 Reg 3D, 2 2D). Not sure the breakdown from previous blockbusters as I rarely visit that theater.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Well, my local Cinemark finally added more showings for Thursday. From 3 to 7 (3 in 3D, 4 in 2D).

2 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Mine did too, from 2 showings to 6

Theaters usually do their big preview expansions on Sunday night or Monday of release week (or, on holiday weekends, on Tuesday). So this is pretty standard. 

• Like 1

Still not seeing the hype even with the good reviews to match Guardians 2 or Suicide Squad. Though I am in Australia so WW is much less a big deal. Still thinking a 100m should be the target

Edited by eXtacy

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think it will be number 1 once the morning update starts.

Nah, MD weekend screwed up normal progression slightly. Will probably hit #1 in the afternoon sometime. Regal still haven't put up all of their showtimes in SoCal thanks to the MD weekend, hopefully they have it tomorrow morning so I can do a count.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

Still not seeing the hype even with the good reviews to match Guardians 2 or Suicide Squad. Though I am in Australia so WW is much less a big deal. Still thinking a 100m should be the target

Hype is ginormous. I am sure it will do well in Australia as well. All the DCEU movies have opened well earlier.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think WW will be below SS and BvS on Friday but if WOM is solid it can perform much stronger on Sat and Sunday and get a larger opening then expected.

Sort of like Deadpool

Making half of what BvS did on Friday would be a great OD. BvS did $81m (Good Friday aided)

• Like 1