kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Absolutely. One of the year's big surprises. Not on Get Out level of surprise but surprise in its own right. I daresay Beauty's OS is even more stunning cause those markets aren't big on musicals (unless an animation).

Me, @franfar @The Panda of the Caribbean and a few others were calling $500M+ domestic for a while for Beast.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I wanted a better drop for BATB, but I can't complain. After its fourth weekend, I expected it to hit no more than $485m maximum but its holds the past four weeks have been remarkable. It's now at $1.22b. A massive success. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

"There were some other very notable performances this session including Universal/Blumhouse’s Get Out which had a get-outta-town good opening in Korea with $7.3M to mark the biggest launch ever for a foreign horror/thriller title, overtaking Uni/Blumhouse’s own Split."

HOLY FUCK! This may cross $250M WW!!!!!!!!

Get Out over Alien Covenant WW?

It could happen.

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Me, @franfar and a few others were calling $500M+ domestic for a while for Beast.

:bravo:

@TwoMisfits I thought that around 400M would have been the highest for BatB. I agree that this is not a surprise on Get Out and Split level, as I said so, but I remember that lots of caution was advised when some people rightly called 500M possibility.

Edited by Valonqar

I wanted a better drop for BATB, but I can't complain. After its fourth weekend, I expected it to hit no more than $485m maximum but its holds the past four weeks have been remarkable. It's now at $1.22b. A massive success. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

:bravo:

@TwoMisfits I thought that around 400M would have been the highest for BatB. I agree that this is not a surprise on Get Out and Split level, as I said so, but I remember that lots of caution was advised when some people rightly called 500M possibility.

Although I've been wrong before (Lego Batman over $300M domestic), I have been right about some breakouts here people weren't expecting like Logan, Boss Baby and Sing. Some people are calling me crazy when I said there was a possibility where The Star (from Sony Animation) breaks out. Again, don't be surprised if The Lion King does $650M+ domestic, or when Black Panther does $350M+ domestic.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I probably should elaborate.

Do these numbers for Alien suggest it is a franchise capable/worthy of a big budget blockbuster status?   Doesn't it kinda seem like the fanbase is relatively small and trying to shoot for blockbuster numbers is futile?

Not so say Xenomorphs should go away in the story, but maybe that budget could be smaller, story could rule, and there would be no need to overspend on CGI to provide popcorn audiences...who aren't going to show up...with a big body count.    It's getting to the point where we already know a group of people will encounter the Xenomorphs and all get killed save for 1 or 2 survivors.      i.e....formula.  

Then the Alien fans like myself rush home and watch the theories about the story on Youtube that they didn't have room to put on the screen because it was a "horror film" with the typical tropes of that genre I've seen a hundred times before.   And if they are going to market it as a horror film, then that means it won't do more than a horror movie typically does.   ...Which isn't going to be blockbuster numbers.   Or maybe the studio thinks putting out Alien movies dressed up as horror films is bigger numbers than regular horror films?    That smaller audience wants their body count and doesn't seem to mind the cliches.    Give them the scary monster stalking victims ad infinitum and they will keep buying tickets.

If the real meat of the Alien story bores audiences, why try to trick them into the theater with the slasher film fakery?   Why not make movies for the small audience that is not bored with the Alien story elements?

I see they lowered the budget for this one.   I think they should go the Deadpool route, drop the budget down to that level where the filmmakers can have more freedom with the story and get creative where it "looks like a bigger budget on the screen".    

"Xenomorphs".....poor letter "X".    Feels like we have to throw that letter a bone at times and give it a word that really belongs to "Z".   No idea why that's not spelled "Zenomorphs".

I think FOX is very happy with the box office results of a rated R science fiction horror film. As you pointed out the budget for this one wasnt that high and the movie will turn a profit.

There are fans of the franchise who do expect horror and gore to take place. There are fans like you who prefer the mythology. I think the fan base would decrease even more if you decide to take out the horror/gory elements.

Not only that but I think Ridley Scott and the writers dont see the horror bits as a detriment to the series. They probably like those bits-hence why their films tend to be more Alien and less Aliens.

Was listening to the radio when the song Edge of Seventeen came on. Realized that I associate the song more with School of Rock than Stevie Nicks. Got me thinking which songs have been associated with their use in movies, like "A thousand miles" in White Chicks and "Stuck in the middle with you" in Reservoir Dogs.

Just now, grim22 said:

Was listening to the radio when the song Edge of Seventeen came on. Realized that I associate the song more with School of Rock than Stevie Nicks. Got me thinking which songs have been associated with their use in movies, like "A thousand miles" in White Chicks and "Stuck in the middle with you" in Reservoir Dogs.

I have a movie I like to associate that song with when I hear the opening of it :) 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sound of Silence was on in Walmart re other day and I immediately thought of Ben Affleck

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"Back In Black" in Iron Man, and "Angel of the Morning" in Deadpool.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

HD leak of BatB dropped earlier this week. It could be one of the factors for the sharper drop this weekend.

I think it's mostly just course correction. It dropped a mere 5.5% last weekend! Basically, the gross it obtained this weekend is around what we would expect if it had dropped the usual 25-30% last weekend (as it had done the three weekends prior) and then another 25-30% this weekend. Except it dropped harder this weekend to make up for it having stayed almost flat last weekend. It could have dropped somewhat better, perhaps, if 'Everything, Everything' hadn't opened and it hadn't lost another 400 theatres.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 4