kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Sure. But beginning of November still seems like a step down. Other blockbusters either targeted mid-Nov (like Twilight or THG) or were slightly smaller-scale blockbusters to begin with (Bond, etc).

(Obviously I'm just talking domestically).

Thor just did $123m so clearly WB think WW2 can do similar business.

MUCH better release date then going up against SW. Also 4 weeks before Frozen 2.

I can see WW2 reaching 300M-380M which would still be great. WB is hoping for Thor Ragnarok numbers I suppose after seeing how successful it is. It'll be way more frontloaded than the first WW obviously.

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Sure. But to this point WW is bigger than Thor. (300m+ is a huge win for T:R. 300m would be a (significant?) disappointment for WW2).

Yes, but WW won't be competing with a 2nd super like Thor will be...imagine this month if JL wasn't coming to slice into the legs how high Thor could go...now think about WW, since she will be in that exact situation...Disney put themselves in that corner by not claiming the Nov 1 slot already, and no way do they take WW on now, or release a super themselves a week before Frozen 2...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, but WW won't be competing with a 2nd super like Thor will be...imagine this month if JL wasn't coming to slice into the legs how high Thor could go...now think about WW, since she will be in that exact situation...Disney put themselves in that corner by not claiming the Nov 1 slot already, and no way do they take WW on now, or release a super themselves a week before Frozen 2...

Disney has a film a week later which won't do much as it's a Christmas film

Not a great date (I'm not a big fan of the early November dates), but given the difficulty in navigating around the Disney juggernauts, I'm not sure they could do better, really.

WW and Frozen both probably have about the same domestic potential, but Frozen is probably double the strength OS. IX might double WW both DOM and OS. It makes a lot of sense to want to avoid getting too close to either.

Bond is... not nearly as much a concern, IMO. It's a big player OS, but is still smaller than Frozen or Star Wars. 

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Why not release it a week or two early overseas, give it even more distance from Bond and Frozen OS?

Frozen won't be a problem since Disney rarely releases their animated movies (WDAS or Pixar) OS day and date with DOM.

Bond would be a much larger issue since the Bond movies have often released in the end of October in most markets.

• Like 1