MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

People always panic about Wonder Woman's weekday numbers. They are always terrible according to some. Wait for the weekend to see what happens. But yeah it's obvious that Transformers hurt it and will continue to. I still don't think 25mil is out of the question. 

Wonder Woman is a raving success with good word of mouth. One of the select few modern comic book movies with a 3.0 multiplier and one of the few that did it with a huge opening weekend.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think unless they reboot it, this will be the last Transformers main series movie but they'll do the Bumblebee spin-off next year.

Marky Mark's already said he's done with these movies (in other words he saw the writing on the wall). Hailee Steinfeld to the rescue!

• Like 2

So it's 5 day is going to be what the original did for it's three day weekend.  Yikes.   In the battle of fifth films of maligned franchises, I'd say this one at least domestically goes to Pirates.

As I posted last night in the CCT, Focus is saying The Beguiled will be wide next weekend. Exactly how wide remains to be seen, but I can see it approaching 1k theaters next weekend and 1.5k+ on July 7. Midsize theaters have shit they need to get rid of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

As I posted last night in the CCT, Focus is saying The Beguiled will be wide next weekend. Exactly how wide remains to be seen, but I can see it approaching 1k theaters next weekend and 1.5k+ on July 7. Midsize theaters have shit they need to get rid of.

I think it'll be about 600-800 next weekend and then 1,000+ if the wide numbers are good enough. Next weekend (Baby Driver/Despicable Me 3/The House) is already a packed frame.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People always panic about Wonder Woman's weekday numbers. They are always terrible according to some. Wait for the weekend to see what happens. But yeah it's obvious that Transformers hurt it and will continue to. I still don't think 25mil is out of the question. 

Wonder Woman is a raving success with good word of mouth. One of the select few modern comic book movies with a 3.0 multiplier and one of the few that did it with a huge opening weekend.

This post seems like you are the one panicking lol. Yes WW has been a great run, let's hear it again please? 

Deadline updated thrice in the last 3 minutes :lol:

15.3 => 15.65 => 15.4 is the latest

"‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Running Out Of Gas With $15.4M Opening Day; CinemaScore Dips To B+ – Update"

edit: wait it's 15.65

3rd Update, Thursday 7:14 AM: Paramount is reporting a $15.65M first day for Transformers: The Last Knight inclusive of Tuesday night’s $5.5M previews. While that’s slightly higher from where we saw it yesterday, it remains the lowest full first day for a Transformers movie. The 5-day outlook is still in the mid-$60M range, lower than what tracking and the Melrose Studio were expecting with $70M.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Knight might actually finish with half of what Age of Extinction made ($245M). Law of diminishing returns finally pounced on this franchise.

The Tomato still wasn't the law in 2014. It was getting stronger, but not quite where it is right now.

• Like 1

Didn't I read that it's dropping pretty heavily in comparison to its predecessor in some big markets? I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like an American only phenomenon.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Knight might actually finish with half of what Age of Extinction made ($245M). Law of diminishing returns finally pounced on this franchise.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Marky Mark's already said he's done with these movies (in other words he saw the writing on the wall). Hailee Steinfeld to the rescue!

AoE was lucky that there was very little competition apart from DOTPOTA and Lucy and GOTG wasn't out for another month and the latter was a wild card at that point. TLK doesn't have such a easy ride. 

At this point, Paramount and Hasbro need to rest the franchise after Bumblebee for 4-5 years, it's clear people are tired of Transformers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it'll be about 600-800 next weekend and then 1,000+ if the wide numbers are good enough. Next weekend (Baby Driver/Despicable Me 3/The House) is already a packed frame.

I'm just trying to figure out if it'll come to my area :insane:All Eyez on Me, Rough Night, and Captain Underpants have been selling empty/near empty shows. Transformers won't need 3 screens next weekend, nor will Cars need 2. That's enough for 3 DM3 screens, Baby Driver, and The House, but I still need one more free. Put two of POTC, Mummy, and 47 Meters on a split screen and I could get The Beguiled :cloud9: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

So it did cross 10 true Wed (5.5 + 10.15). Unless Deadline changes again.

15.65 + 7 (-55%) + 9.25 (+32%) + 11.5 (+24%) + 9.35 (-19%) = 52.75

TF2 was     -53%               +26%               +10%                -20%

I really don't see 60+ 5-day. Can someone modify these % please...

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

AoE was lucky that there was very little competition apart from DOTPOTA and Lucy and GOTG wasn't out for another month and the latter was a wild card at that point. TLK doesn't have such a easy ride. 

At this point, Paramount and Hasbro need to rest the franchise after Bumblebee for 4-5 years, it's clear people are tired of Transformers.

Paramount has a Transformers 6 dated for late June 2019 that I'm fully expecting will be removed from the schedule soon. If Bumblebee tanks next summer we won't be hearing about this franchise until the inevitable reboot down the line.

• Like 2

Another Transformers movie will be made, whether Paramount rushes it out on that 2019 date remains to be seen. Personally I think they need to go back to the drawing board and try to make a good movie for once. I think they tried with the first one but Michael Bay gets in the way because he is such a cynical filmmaker.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1