MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

Paramount had plenty of time to start caring about the Transformers franchise quality and start giving people something new. They could have done that with T5 but like most studios they ignored the signs that a big decline COULD come just because the 4th one made a ton of money. 

6 hours ago, Nova said:

I need for next weekend to get here so I can stan the crap out of Baby Driver during the weekend thread. Although nothing is really holding me back from doing it this weekend :thinking:

I saw Baby Driver last night at a preview. It is AMAZING. The movie we desperately needed. 

• Like 1

Told you all that this one was going to tank domestically and drop badly overseas. UNDER 650M WW is a real possibility. This is the year where big sequels irrespective of quality won't be doing as well as the studios would like them to.

I feel for WOTPOTA and Kingsman 2 already. Both of them need to do extremely well to keep me happy...

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Guess we can expect Paramount to blame the critics again like they did with Baywatch. 

They're probably not gonna move their movies up from Friday openings in hopes of "building buzz" any time soon after both of these backfired.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

Tough seeing 60+ 5-day with 9.5 True Wednesday.

The previews were a huge ratio of Wednesday and makes Thu drop likely to be big. 

But even using TF2's 53% drop from Wed. That would give TF5 7m on Thu (which btw is just a 26% drop from True Wednesday).

5.5 + 9.5 + 7 (-26%) + 9.5 (+35%) + 12 (+26%) + 9.5 (-21%) = 53

(TF2 was +26%, +10%, -20% on FSS. Have used much better Fri and Sat bumps for TF5.)

Should be trying for 55 5-day.

EDIT:

If TF2's FSS are used from 7m Wed (-53% from Tue like TF2),

8.8 (+26%) + 9.7 (+10%) + 7.75 (-20%) = 26.25 3-day

I know what Wonderful club that might lead to...

OK I DID IT

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24250-wonder-woman-4th-weekend-over-tf5-ow-fss/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Told you all that this one was going to tank domestically and drop badly overseas. UNDER 650M WW is a real possibility. This is the year where big sequels irrespective of quality won't be doing as well as the studios would like them to.

I feel for WOTPOTA and Kingsman 2 already. Both of them need to do extremely well to keep me happy...

Agree with you though I don't think it can fall that bad WW.

I still see 700+ with ease.

135 dom + 300 Ch + 290 OS-Ch = 725 WW

Can remove 10 from China and 15 from OS-Ch to make it 700 WW.

But either way, imo 675 is the floor. 725 realistic and 775 probably the max if it does 320 (like TF4) in China and 300+ OS-Ch and 140-150 Dom.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I saw Baby Driver last night at a preview. It is AMAZING. The movie we desperately needed. 

I saw it last night as well and I will not stop raving about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

The thing with WOTPOTA and Kingsman is that they are coming off well received predecessors,the audiences are not tired of them and ,at least for the former,it seems like they will have good wom (first reactions to WOTPOTA is very good) so they still have a fighting chance.The audiences just need good movies basically...

Just too elaborate by giving an example.Had Wonder Woman been bad i think JL would be royally screwd.Hell i think a decent drop from BvS would have been inevitable.But now with the way WW succeeded with the audience and Snyder's exit?basically cutting the connections with the reasons pointing as the problems with  the DCEU,WB secured a critic-proof OW.From then on its on the actual movie to determine if it will be a huge success or just a success.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

The thing with WOTPOTA and Kingsman is that they are coming off well received predecessors,the audiences are not tired of them and ,at least for the former,it seems like they will have good wom (first reactions to WOTPOTA is very good) so they still have a fighting chance.The audiences just need good movies basically...

Especially with Kingsman.

Apes movies are well received too and I am rooting big-time for WAR, but feels a bit damp buzz wise doesn't it?

With it's nearly 200 budget hope it does 600+ WW (DAWN did 700+). 175-200 dom /400-425 os would be great.

• Like 1