grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

So apparently last night I made plans with some people to see Cars tonight lmao. Turns out we're actually sticking with that plan :lol:

I found this girl I work with and she had just got off work and was super hyped up like "Did you know cars is now in 2D?!?!" 

"Yea I hate 3D!!"

"Let's get people to go see it in 2D with us!"

So now I'm going with a bunch of her friends.

32 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I still think it's amazing how much the Hunger Games movies dropped between Catching Fire and MJ2. What happened? I never read the books and only watched the first THG. Is that last film really bad? 

The last 2 are awful...the 1st 2 were really good.

Not having read the books, I feel like the last 2 each had an hour of filler to make them separate movies that could have just been cut to form one cohesive, tense movie.

I felt a little like this for HP 7 parts 1 and 2...but part 2 was a really good movie on its own, so I can a little forgive the much worse part 1... 

Words cannot express how happy I am about Wonder Woman's amazing success. 318mil so far after a 25mil weekend. Three under 50% drops in a row.  I was listening to slash films summer box office prediction podcast and every single person was down on the movie.

They even brought up that female lead comic book movies don't do money because they're female-led lie. Like, Catwoman and Elektra failing had nothing to do with the fact that they were uniformly awful films that to tell the truth, were not well marketed either. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UNDERDOG said:

WB and New Line usually do well with smaller films. Just look at the past release, "Everything, Everything".

But I don't see that for The House.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?yr=&view=company&view2=allmovies&studio=warnerbros.htm&sort=open&order=DESC&p=.htm

Everything, Everything was just WB, not WB (NL).  The last one this year that is WB (NL) is Going in Style.

Check out my O/U topic.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24258-the-house-l-wb-nl-l-overunder-the-internship-1745-or-only-other-2017-wb-nl-release-going-in-style-1245/

Edited by Matrix4You

9 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Surprised that New Line has so few films this year. Last year they had 8 films, 4 just in the summer. Annabelle and It should make plenty of profit for them to balance the flops.

42 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Oh, I know it's just WB. I was trying to say both WB and new line are good at this, not just WB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I actually only just discovered this gloriousness a few days ago. Don't remember when I last laughed this hard. I mean this was a real thing that existed. 

Yup and it was pretty glorious. The second season it basically became an X-files clone.

Movienights take down of the series via one episode, is great too, recommended 

• Like 1

And the curse of part 5's continue.
As I have said before-part 5 is usually the lowest grossing and least liked of the franchise. True there are some exceptions (Fast Five, MI5, Harry Potter 5), but overall it does seem to be true.

On another note-I've seen very little for DM3. Compared to Minions and the first 2 films, not sure what is going on.

6 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Also, both Home and Boss Baby are based on books, so, not original. 

We go over this ground a lot...original to the screen vs retreads/remakes/sequels of previously filmed product...

Maybe we need a new word, like "premier projects" (1st time done) to differentiate films done for the 1st time based on source materials and then "originals" just for those done completely originally...yes, premier is a homophone, too, which makes it all the better:)...

And when everyone picks this term up and uses it in future web articles posted to deadline, remember to credit me 1st:)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Pixar doing uneventful sequels while DreamWorks keeps delivering beloved original movies like Home and The Boss Baby. Funny isn't it?

From 2015 to 2017, DWA had 5 films of which 4 are original (3 based on books). Pixar has 5 films in same period of which 3 are original. Hardly a difference there. 

And beloved by who btw? Both the movies you quoted are rotten based on critics rating and their audience rating isnt splendid either. Their box office while good is eclipsed by most of pixars movie. So beloved by who exactly?