WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Wonder Woman was coming off three poorly received DCEU films too.

Yes but this was the first WW movie. Spidey is in his sixth outing (7th when you include CW). WW felt new.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As long as we don't see Catwoman or Joker...at this point, those two characters have to be retired for awhile from the Bat movie screen...

Don't retire The Joker; just retire Jared Leto :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I think the problem with Spider-Man was not just fatigue and coming off three mixed-to-bad-received outings, but it also didn't look that much different from the others. Yes, this is a younger Peter Parker and it has the MCU connections, but even that only goes so far to interest audiences as this seems to prove. Reeves' Batman could be quite different from Nolan's films, so that should work in its favor.

Will it look different from the BvS and JL is the big question.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

The other thing this Spidey had going against it is that it was coming off three pretty poorly received films.

Technically Batman could be coming off two (or three if you count SS), depending how JL is received.

I think people are looking for more fresh and new looking concepts and films, and not necessarily following the tomatometer and superheroes.  Franchise Fatigue is proving to be a thing, and you can tell it's slightly playing a role with Spidey, even with it being a unique take with Iron Man.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I know it's fun to shit on iJack, but a relative of his recently passed away. I'm sure he'll own up to his prediction whenever he comes back, so let's not mock him.

Sad to hear this. I hope he'll be okay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XO21 said:

This is a pretty sad thing to do

Actually,We really need to stop thinking popularity equals boxoffice.

Gotg 

WW

Deadpool

SS

All are new charaters to the G.A and there's a reason why they did so well.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

The Tomato Law still worked as Apes increased as the night went along. I am hoping for a MI5 type of run but I know it is gonna drop 60% next week against the direct competition of Dunkirk.

• Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

Lol I wouldn't call Wonder Woman's opening weekend "muted".

Compared to SS, MoS, and BvS?  It was a muted OW, that's part of the reason I think its second weekend drop was so good (beyond being a great movie and the demographics of it).

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wonder Woman was coming off three poorly received DCEU films too.

Wonder Woman is an origin story that had never been done before and let's face it it opened well but not anything earth-shattering. 100 million opening weekend is great but it's at the low end for a lot of superhero films. It's the word of mouth that blew that film up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Tomato Law still worked as Apes increased as the night went along. I am hoping for a MI5 type of run but I know it is gonna drop 60% next week against the direct competition of Dunkirk.

Should the title be updated? :jeb!: 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It's not going to drop 60% next weekend. I don't think so anyway. Unless Dunkirk does something crazy like opens up to 70 million I don't think the three openers are going to total up to 100 million.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I think it'll have respectable legs tbh. Dunkirk will do well but can't see it opening higher than Interstellar at most, and there is little in the way of competition after that (Atomic Blonde will probably settle for an opening in the mid-$20M range at best and I feel even less buzz for The Dark Tower than I do for Valerian, which is already not much).

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The Tomato Law:

anigif_sub-buzz-1349-1489522963-4.gif

• Like 6

Just now, baumer said:

It's not going to drop 60% next weekend. I don't think so anyway. Unless Dunkirk does something crazy like opens up to 70 million I don't think the three openers are going to total up to 100 million.

It feels like the same situation as Beyond opening one week before Bourne last year. Those movies went after the same audience and caused Beyond to colapse nearly 60%.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, baumer said:

The other thing this Spidey had going against it is that it was coming off three pretty poorly received films.

That would make sense if it had a terrible opening ala Batman Begins. It didn't

If homecoming is as good as people make it out to be it would be holding a lot better

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think it could , bad counter-programming play here, dunkirk and apes both skewed older male, making them cancel out their each other hype and buzz....