WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

I dont want to enrage any CBM fan here but i dont see how Ragnarok will be very succesfull OS. It looks too extreme to me. A lot of european markets show a decline in interest in CBMs and the Asian/Latin american markets can only contribut so much. I personally predict Logan numbers for it DOM with 550-650M worldwide finish.

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Thor Ragnarok numbers are unpredictable.

The first Thor was certified fresh on RT, but didn't get 200 million worldwide.

The Dark World was fresh, but not certified, and it was rotten according to top critics. It got to finish with 206 million worldwide. Then again, this movie had the boost for coming after Avengers.

Fact is, Thor movies have been the weakest movies in the whole MCU. If Ragnarok can change that pattern, nobody knows. Don't expect it to perform like a Thor movie alone. It'll probably perform like a regular MCU movie. These movies all play the same way. 

Perhaps Hulk is gonna give a boost just like Iron Man probably gave Homecoming a boost. So, maybe, just maybe the movie could perform like the new Spidey. So, don't be surprised if fans flock to watch it for its opening weekend and then it drops 60% for its second weekend. I wouldn't rule out a possibly 300 million domestic figure.

I think you mean domestic, not worldwide. Thor - 450m WW, TDW - 645m WW

• Like 1

Thor immediately precedes start of Infinity Wars per sneak peek descriptions. They likely release Infinity Wars trailer with the movie and I think that will really boost it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Don't expect it to perform like a Thor movie alone. It'll probably perform like a regular MCU movie. These movies all play the same way.

I'm not exactly sure what your definition of a "regular MCU movie" is. MCU movies have an OW anywhere between a range of $55mil to $207mil and have a DOM range of anywhere between $134mil to $623mil. Compared to the DCEU numbers which has a roughly 25% variance on a standard opening of $130mil and a really small 8% variance on a seemingly standard $310mil DOM range (with WW as the massive outlier) regardless of the character or actor, their numbers are really all over the place depending on the characters and actors present in the movie. Additionally I don't understand the mentality of adding Thor, Hulk and Strange together being an instant box office boost when they're all on the low tier of audience drawing power and a movie with Spider-Man and RDJ/IM is currently underperforming according to expectations.

Edited by AHepBurn

In a world where people don't look at Rotten Tomatoes, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

1) Normal word of mouth - "Hey dude, movie is fine, good. I liked it"

2) Insane word of mouth - "Bro!! Movie was great. You have to watch it. I'll probably watch it again! Tal to your friends too!"

3) Negative word of mouth - "Man, I didn't like this movie. Perhaps you might like it. It's not my cup of tea. Good luck"

4) Negative toxic word of mouth - Movie was shit. Please, don't watch it! Don't do that to yourself! It sucks donkey balls. Horrible"

In a world where many people use Rotten Tomatoes before watching movies, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

1) Fresh word of mouth - "Bro, critics got it really right this time. Movie was great and delicious. Watch it ASAP!"

2) Barely fresh word of mouth - "You know man, I liked it. It was ok. It could be better. That's all. Feel free to give it a try, if you want"

3) Reverse fresh word of mouth- "Bro, movie is overrated! I was expecting so much more, based on the tomatometer. Good, but not that good"

4) Reverse rotten word of mouth - "Bro, I was expecting shit, but I was surprised. Seriously, give it a try. Critics were really wrong on this one"

So, when a movie like Homecoming gets 93-94% on RT but doesn't get intense word of mouth, that's because this movie is part of the worlds I listed above. It is number 1 ( good word of mouth ) from the first world and number 2 ( barely fresh word of mouth ) from the second world. Both numbers cancel it other, thus explaining the regular performance.

Besides, you can't avoid the "another MCU movie" feeling.  Movies like Deadpool, Logan and Wonder Woman are different and that's why they got intense word of mouth.  GOTG was great for the first time, but it didn't do anythijg new for the second one. So, it was more of the same. Deadpool 2 might be another victim of that, because it's not something new anymore.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, JL was already in deep preproduction, that's the only reason he was allowed to direct it. I think everyone except hardcore Snyder fans suspect that WB isn't letting him make another (slightly lighter) version of BvS.

You shouldn't say things like this,  it's simply not true.  Justice League was never going to be "dark" you can read the interviews with Snyder before Batman v. Superman even came out.  With the involvement of Flash and Wonder Woman and Aquaman plus a certain progression of another character,  this was always meant to be a lighter film where the heroes come together to thwart evil.  

• Like 8

In a world where people don't look at Rotten Tomatoes, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

2) Insane word of mouth - "Bro!! Movie was great. You have to watch it. I'll probably watch it again! Tal to your friends too!"

3) Negative word of mouth - "Man, I didn't like this movie. Perhaps you might like it. It's not my cup of tea. Good luck"

4) Negative toxic word of mouth - Movie was shit. Please, don't watch it! Don't do that to yourself! It sucks donkey balls. Horrible"

In a world where many people use Rotten Tomatoes before watching movies, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

1) Fresh word of mouth - "Bro, critics got it really right this time. Movie was great and delicious. Watch it ASAP!"

2) Barely fresh word of mouth - "You know man, I liked it. It was ok. It could be better. That's all. Feel free to give it a try, if you want"

3) Reverse fresh word of mouth- "Bro, movie is overrated! I was expecting so much more, based on the tomatometer. Good, but not that good"

4) Reverse rotten word of mouth - "Bro, I was expecting shit, but I was surprised. Seriously, give it a try. Critics were really wrong on this one"

So, when a movie like Homecoming gets 93-94% on RT but doesn't get intense word of mouth, that's because this movie is part of the worlds I listed above. It is number 1 ( good word of mouth ) from the first world and number 2 ( barely fresh word of mouth ) from the second world. Both numbers cancel it other, thus explaining the regular performance.

Besides, you can't avoid the "another MCU movie" feeling.  Movies like Deadpool, Logan and Wonder Woman are different and that's why they got intense word of mouth.  GOTG was great for the first time, but it didn't do anythijg new for the second one. So, it was more of the same. Deadpool 2 might be another victim of that, because it's not something new anymore.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Is there some sort of super secret Thor Ragnarok trailer which actually makes the film look good? The only trailer I have seen makes the film look like complete garbage and has me longing for the final 30 minutes of Attack of the Clones.

Apparently, the director has a large following, and many people swear by him. Frankly, I was really impressed by the Black Panther trailer, while Thor 3's teaser left me cold, but it seems to has been well received by lots of people. To each their own.

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

These just look like online word of mouth from fanboys or movie fans.

• Like 1