CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, BenedictL11 said:

What about Girls Trip?

Limited screen space, only got 2 openers. Was complaining that our booker was dumb for giving us Valerian instead of GT but I guess it isn't doing so bad so it might not have been the worst idea.

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB likely intends to purchase Bond when the right are available.

I doubt the rights will ever become available, the Bond franchise is own by a private family company (Dajaq) and the movie are produced by their company Eon Production, both co-owned by the daughter of is founder that exercise the creative control and the production.

If you are talking about the theatrical only distribution in some market only right that Sony currently have and are up to be renewed soon, they are only that distribution rights, they don't give you much power necessarily on the movie nor home video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eon_Productions

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone predicting for next week's openers. I'm going with $34M for The Emoji Movie and $23M for Atomic Blonde.

Emoji: 25M

Atomic Blonde: 15M

There's little buzz for either of them. Emoji feels like another CU.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone predicting for next week's openers. I'm going with $34M for The Emoji Movie and $23M for Atomic Blonde.

Low 30s for Emoji and high teens for Atomic Blonde.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Emoji: 25M

Atomic Blonde: 15M

There's little buzz for either of them. Emoji feels like another CU.

I think Emoji can do better than that since the marketplace for family films is gonna be really barren until Lego Ninjago two months from now (and Despicable Me ended up weaker than expected) but I think it'll probably have a kind of run where it makes largely by default of there not really being much out there for families (and I doubt anybody cares about The Nut Job 2).

• Like 1

With both Dunkirk and GT breaking out this weekend, it's gonna be especially hard for the two openers next week to outperform expectations. I'm still holding out hope Atomic has a late surge in interest but neither film has sold too well on Fandango so far.

6 minutes ago, nomyth said:

With both Dunkirk and GT breaking out this weekend, it's gonna be especially hard for the two openers next week to outperform expectations. I'm still holding out hope Atomic has a late surge in interest but neither film has sold too well on Fandango so far.

Neither of next week's openers strike me as something that would do well in pre-sales. Most of their business will come from walkups.

Just now, CJohn said:

They'll be at ease again when the fall fares better than expected (I'm thinking September's gonna be big with IT, Kingsman 2, and Lego Ninjago all making $100M+) and then the holiday season coming along with the Star Wars mania returning.