CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Friend of mine who worked at Spectrum had watched Apes about 5 months ago and his response was "I was exhausted after the movie. The movie was great but exhausting". I am guessing that is the primary response coming through the GA as well. With the news cycle IRL being so exhausting, people are probably just not in the mood for a heavy movie in theaters. Light, breezy and fun with an uplifting ending seem to be the order of the day.

Revenant had good legs....  very exhausting

6 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

So Rth said 22m for Dunkirk earlier, but Gitesh is saying 20m. Since Gitesh posted his number later, his could actually be more accurate. Or maybe he's just lowballing as usual.

That would be a shame. Hope Gitesh is wrong

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Uh..... what?

What what? Dunkirk is obviously more frontloaded that Apes. Im not even talking about Nolan fans but Harry Styles, do you how many girls are craqzy about him?

Edited by Damianport1

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Revenant had massive Oscar buzz and Leo DiCaprio is maybe the only actor in Hollywood right now who is a definitive draw. Revenant also had fantastic WOM.

8 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

So Rth said 22m for Dunkirk earlier, but Gitesh is saying 20m. Since Gitesh posted his number later, his could actually be more accurate. Or maybe he's just lowballing as usual.

Gitesh doesn't have any more accurate numbers and RTH is way more reliable.  Go back through Gitesh's twitter and see how off he is on numbers and projections.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

That would be a shame. Hope Gitesh is wrong

What what? Dunkirk is obviously more frontloaded that Apes. Im not even talking about Nolan fans but Harry Styles, do you how many girls are craqzy about him?

I'm going to assume this is tongue in cheek.  

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone predicting for next week's openers. I'm going with $34M for The Emoji Movie and $23M for Atomic Blonde.

I'd love to see if Emoji presales moved at all with last week's deal before committing...

On the animated movie front, I will say that I finally saw a trailer of Emoji movie that didn't suck at DM3...it seemed like a pretty close rip-off of Inside Out (except instead of changing what the main person feels, we want to change what the emojis get to feel), but that was better than it seemed before...not sure if that will be too little, too late, b/c even though I enjoyed it, it didn't move any of my 4 kids to "Mom, we have to go."  So, without more huge ticket deals, I'm thinking Captain Undies is a good rough guesstimate til presales are seen.

As for Nut Job 2, my spouse and I looked at each other and literally said "who greelit this?  this is absolutely atrocious!"  My spouse continued saying he thought the only people who would show up are parents on custody arrangements who literally do the movies every week with their kids...I thought that imagery was pretty harsh, but I really can't see anyone actually choosing to see this movie b/c they actually want to see this exact movie vs seeing it b/c it's the only animated movie they haven't seen yet.  Under $20M DOM BO total would probably be too good for it...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Bumblebee is getting only a 70 m budget? 

Looks like Monster Truck's SFX will give it a run for its money. :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

lol at all the white bro youtube reviewers reviewing Rough Night but won't review Girls Trip which will make triple Rough Night did opening weekend. 

That's not a surprise. The bias is real.

I wish someone would have updated on how Wonder Woman is doing. She has the most compelling box office run of the summer. Are there double features with Dunkirk? This is a tough weekend for holdovers. Other than the top two, it feels like a tight horse race where every movie is fighting for position. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Bumblebee is getting only a 70 m budget? 

Looks like Monster Truck's SFX will give it a run for its money. :sparta:

That's a smart move so the studio can tell if it needs to hang up the whole series for a few years or if it can eke out some small moneymakers while waiting for a soft/hard reboot...

7 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Couple of difference like release date but I think one big element is that the majority of people going to see The Revenant knew it would an exhausting borderline hard to watch experience, it was sold has one and had a constant tone. 

War of the Apes was a PG-13 summer action flick a little bit, with poster selling a war with an army of apes against humans and delivered a bit something else, that does not necessarily match the franchise of the previous entry and being a second sequel of a prequel cannot really reach new people that would be interested in that knew proposition, it pretty much only can keep is previous audience at best and not gain much new one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:

I wish someone would have updated on how Wonder Woman is doing. She has the most compelling box office run of the summer. Are there double features with Dunkirk? This is a tough weekend for holdovers. Other than the top two, it feels like a tight horse race where every movie is fighting for position. 

If we're lucky we'll get an update on WW late tonight. Maybe 3-4 hours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Neither of next week's openers strike me as something that would do well in pre-sales. Most of their business will come from walkups.

I agree that they shouldn't be too presales heavy but they're both selling way less than even Valerian was last week at this time. They need to pick up a lot come next week or else it's likely they'll get lost in the shuffle.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's not a surprise. The bias is real.

lol like i  know it's not in their demographics so I'm not surprised but it's not like Rough Night is either lol. 

• Like 1

WW numbers are really low now, it's at best going to do 4.5mil. Not surprising that it's not a priority. It had it's first big Thursday drop, it probably will drop harder than predicted.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Sad 1