CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

If Spidey drops another 55% this weekend it will be talked about in a negative light. And that's fair. My advice to people who don't like that is to not read the posts that discuss it. We are not obligated to pretend that we're impressed with a run that we aren't impressed with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Even though Rihanna is not a star in Valerian, Ava Duvernay seriously better reconsider making her the star in that movie that she is supposed to be helming. Rihanna is not a great actress and apparently not a draw at the box office either. Give the role to an actual actress.    

That movie (the one with Lupita Nyong'o inspired by...a tweet) is going to Netflix.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It just is interesting that despite the positive reviews claiming it is one of the best superhero movies ever, it's dropping like a rock 

If we all felt the BO was $300-$400M once we saw the trailers...and it hits that number...it means it did exactly what we expected...it's not like 75 year old ladies who've never seen a super are gonna show for this one...supers has a "set" audiences that doesn't really expand/contract except in extreme circumstances (sucktacular movies and/or zeitgeist concepts)...

I mean, I thought it was a good movie from the trailers...so it being a good movie met my expectations when I made my box office estimates exactly...so if it was making $100M total, maybe I'd be saying "what the hell happened", but not when it will come between 10-20% of my guess...

Baywatch $58M when I guessed $200M - that was a "what the hell" happened movie...but that was critical reception and not-quite-as-good movie as trailers indicated with audiences who just didn't end up taking to the concept...

I just read that Luc Besson already wrote the script of the next two sequels of Valerian. Oh, god. This breaks my heart, seeing passion projects flopping like this, even when they're bad (which doesn't seems to be the case), I really hope he will have another chance in Hollywood, the guy clearly loves his job. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

We'll then you have missed a lot this week. It's been nothing but excuses from some folks when it's much easier to just admit that it's not performing that great.

True.

Any non-MCU superhero film that behaved the utterly mediocre way that SM:H has would have been crucified and mocked for "underperforming." Like someone else mentioned; it is not an impressive run; why should people pretend that it is? 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Blaming Rihanna for Valerian is absurd.  And I'm really side eyeing that comment.

I explicitly stated that she is not responsible for Valerian. I stated that she is not a great actress and apparently not helping the box office either. Therefore, a venerated director has no reason to put her as the lead actress in her movie.   

Edited by PenguinHyphy

2 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

You guys really need to stop proclaiming that Spider-Man: Homecoming has great word of mouth if that $20,000,000 number is true. That is about a 56% drop. That is worse than Man of Steel. It might not even get to $300,000,000 at this point. It is even worse because Iron-Man is in it. They needed to have just went with Miles Morales if they wanted another high school Spider-Man. Putting Peter Parker in high school again is ridiculous. He needed to have been a student at ESU or a bit more mature. Spider-Man made his big screen debut fifteen years ago, and we still have not even seen him with Black Cat. They have absolutely worn out his welcoming and bungled the franchise.                                                                                                   

Yeah it's so easy to make a Spider-man that increases DOM from the last movie or gets over 90% on RT.

It happens so many times. :depp:

I'm sure your version would get 99% on RT and make 350 m. The benchmark for any successful reboot film.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Many reasons. It's dark and depressing. Slow and methodical. Very little action setpieces. Released in between Spidey and Dunkirk. Released in the summer where people want to see fun, light-hearted blockbusters. 

This film is centered around the apes while the previous two had a blend of human characters and apes. The humans are marketed as the villains. 

The trailers don't sell you on why you should see it. Dawn's selling point was apes riding horses with machine guns and driving tanks. That is pure fun entertainment. War doesn't have that. 

What kind of legs are we expecting now? I figured last weekend it probably would not be able to match Dawn's 2.87 multiplier. But seems it might be even more frontloaded than we were thinking. Sad to watch that play out because Matt Reeves did a great job. The movie deserves a bigger audience. 

• Like 1

Would a 6-million Friday lead to just 19 million? I am just curious. How do you see the three-day frame ending?

SMH weekend

6M (Fri)
7.8M (Sat 30% jump)
5.2M (Sun 33% fall)

19M weekend (57% weekend drop)

There's chance that the Sat bump won't even be that big.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

SMH weekend

6M (Fri)
7.8M (Sat 30% jump)
5.2M (Sun 33% fall)

19M weekend (57% weekend drop)

There's chance that the Sat bump won't even be that big.

I don't see why it'd drop 33% on Sunday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

True.

Any non-MCU superhero film that behaved the utterly mediocre way that SM:H has would have been crucified and mocked for "underperforming." Like someone else mentioned; it is not an impressive run; why should people pretend that it is? 

I doubt it...no one mocked Logan's legs this year...no one felt anything but bad that Lego Batman didn't quite put together the run most of us expected...

If anything Lego Bats was the closest supers movie to a "what the hell" happened this year, b/c that movie should have happened...

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

We'll then you have missed a lot this week. It's been nothing but excuses from some folks when it's much easier to just admit that it's not performing that great.

I feel like it's just that one dude ya'll have been arguing with all week.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1