CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't even think Spielberg would get this kind of project greenlit. Cannot believe WB greenlit a Memento-esque structure with no DiCaprio type of star and almost no exposition on $150m budget. And then agreed to market the thing like a franchise tentpole. It doesn't seem the studio meddled one bit on this project, which is crazy given the risk. 

Spielberg has had risky projects in the past, Schindler's List comes to mind, Universal only greenlit it on the condition he made Jurassic Park first, Munich as well. Nolan has made so much money for Warner Bros that they can take a risk with him. 

I don't think Nolan necessarily has more clout than Spielberg did at his peak, he's just been fortunate to pitch projects really well that WB has belief in succeeding. As difficult as Dunkirk might seem as a sell, Nolan pitched a product that he felt had audience appeal, and WB agreed. So far, Nolan is proving them right. But it speaks just as well to Nolan's ability to pitch and to measure audience reaction rather than just his power to do whatever he wants

• Like 1

You guys really need to stop proclaiming that Spider-Man: Homecoming has great word of mouth if that $20,000,000 number is true. That is about a 56% drop. That is worse than Man of Steel. It might not even get to $300,000,000 at this point. It is even worse because Iron-Man is in it. They needed to have just went with Miles Morales if they wanted another high school Spider-Man. Putting Peter Parker in high school again is ridiculous. He needed to have been a student at ESU or a bit more mature. Spider-Man made his big screen debut fifteen years ago, and we still have not even seen him with Black Cat. They have absolutely worn out his welcoming and bungled the franchise.                                                                                                   

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 10
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's insane for Dunkirk. I feel like Nolan is officially the biggest director box office draw there's ever been outside of Spielberg

Ever? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Spielberg and Cameron are probably 1a and 1b and its arguable who takes the top spot there if we are talking all-time. Nolan is a pretty distant 3rd behind them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PenguinHyphy said:

You guys really need to stop proclaiming that Spider-Man: Homecoming has great word of mouth if that $20,000,000 number is true. That is about a 55% drop. That is worse than Man of Steel. It might not even get to $300,000,000 at this point. It is even worse because Iron-Man is in it. They needed to have just went with Miles Morales if they wanted another high school Spider-Man. Putting Peter Parker in high school again is ridiculous. He needed to have been a student at ESU or a bit more mature. Spider-Man made his big screen debut fifteen years ago, and we still have not seen him with Black Cat. Sony has worn out his welcoming.    

Is anyone proclaiming that? I haven't seen anyone saying that past the first week. I think most people have accepted that WOM wasn't as good as they thought by now.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Spidey tracking for a 57% weekend drop if it hits $19M.

What legs?

Even if it goes that low, it will be at 2.13x OW legs on Sunday...on only its 3rd weekend, Spidey will already be higher than some supers movies released the last few years...

I don't get posters - most people saw this movie between $300-$400M DOM BO pre-summer...and it's gonna finish between $300-$400M...with so many movies way underperforming, why is this one picked on so much??  A need to bring down any supers movie, since none of them are doing badly this year?  A hatred of RDJ?  A hatred of taking Tobey out of the roll?  The DC/Marvel thing?  What?

EDIT: Or is it a hatred that we still have Peter and not Miles...thing is, we can't have Miles without having Peter 1st, b/c Miles whole origin story is that he becomes a hero b/c he feels guilt over Peter's death, and that guilt drives him to follow in Peter's footsteps and take up the same mantle...that's an epic story to be told onscreen, which can't happen if you don't have Peter 1st...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Is anyone proclaiming that? I haven't seen anyone saying that past the first week. I think most people have accepted that WOM wasn't as good as they thought by now.

We'll then you have missed a lot this week. It's been nothing but excuses from some folks when it's much easier to just admit that it's not performing that great.

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's insane for Dunkirk. I feel like Nolan is officially the biggest director box office draw there's ever been outside of Spielberg

I feel like Tim Burton, Michael Bay and James Cameron would definitely rank in the top 5.

Not recently but for an all time list.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Even if it goes that low, it will be at 2.13x OW legs on Sunday...on only its 3rd weekend, Spidey will already be higher than some supers movies released the last few years...

I don't get posters - most people saw this movie between $300-$400M DOM BO pre-summer...and it's gonna finish between $300-$400M...with so many movies way underperforming, why is this one picked on so much??  A need to bring down any supers movie, since none of them are doing badly this year?  A hatred of RDJ?  A hatred of taking Tobey out of the roll?  The DC/Marvel thing?  What?

It just is interesting that despite the positive reviews claiming it is one of the best superhero movies ever, it's dropping like a rock 

33 minutes ago, scabab said:

What happened with Planet of the Apes? People really liked the first two and this one is getting the best reviews of the lot and people really liked that too.

Why is it failing like this?

Many reasons. It's dark and depressing. Slow and methodical. Very little action setpieces. Released in between Spidey and Dunkirk. Released in the summer where people want to see fun, light-hearted blockbusters. 

This film is centered around the apes while the previous two had a blend of human characters and apes. The humans are marketed as the villains. 

The trailers don't sell you on why you should see it. Dawn's selling point was apes riding horses with machine guns and driving tanks. That is pure fun entertainment. War doesn't have that. 

Even though Rihanna is not the star in Valerian, Ava Duvernay seriously better reconsider making her the star in that movie that she is supposed to be helming. Rihanna is not a great actress and apparently not a draw at the box office either. Give the role to an actual actress.    

Edited by PenguinHyphy