CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sigh. Yeah. He did. DeHaan is ideal for certain parts but certainly not Valerian. Honestly, Cara's fine. Simple role, looks the part and plays it well enough. Someone like Dan Stevens and any number of others would've been more palatable in the role Valerian.

To be fair, Dan Stevens is the best choice for almost every role.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Why did Fifth Element do better than Valerian.

Star power? People liked trippy shit more in the 90's?

Bruce Willis was one of the biggest movie star in the world with Tom Cruise.

Also, you had 3 movies like this per year if you were lucky, now it s more like 15, 20 years later.

• Like 1

I think Valerian is Luc Besson last film. After this debacle, he will not rise again I think, and will devote himself to production.  What you need to know is that he had been deeply hurt by the American failure of the Fifth Element in 97. And yet it had made $68m .. Valerian will do half as much!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Of course he cares, when you make a movie like this, you make it as much for yourself than for the audience so if few people show up, it s a big disapointment for everyone involved.

Well I dunno.

After the Matrix trilogy the Wachoskis made movies for themselves...with blockbuster budgets. :rofl:

So did M. Night for a while to a lesser extent.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449721/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-trivializes-wwii-valerian-sci-fi-future-dazzles

Armond White's two cents. It's what we've all  been waiting for today. We finally have it. The double review of 21st Century.

Wait. You can get fame and a steady check for being contrarian?

Does @Ethan Hunt know about this? 

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Besson is a niche director.

I doubt he cares it flopped if he made back his investment.

I think pretty much everyone care for almost every movie they make (some exception for some extreme case).

1) In a general way no one would pass month in a editing room or like Iñárritu said that question of for you or the audience make little sense, no one would be passing months editing a movie in a dark room if they were the last human on earth with no one to ever see it. It is a communicative medium purely made for an audience and to be seen, at a basic level you want it to be seen (and is just extremely correlated and a abstraction away from doing a lot of money), they want it to be experimented in theater and by a large living reactive crowd.

Like a Chef still care if is food is eaten, at the right temperature and people having a good time even after is client paid.

2) In a more practical way, you want the investor and often take it on you for them to at least not lose money, it is a responsibility that most put on themselve at least to make it easier to greenlight the next one

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sigh. Yeah. He did. DeHaan is ideal for certain parts but certainly not Valerian. Honestly, Cara's fine. Simple role, looks the part and plays it well enough. Someone like Dan Stevens and any number of others would've been more palatable in the role Valerian.

DeHaan is a villain, that's the problem. He doesn't have the aura of a hero and Besson should have seen that. 

You just need somebody charming to play such a role. There are some being able to play such a part. Elgort or even Tom Holland. Those are the guys you should go with for such a movie. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bastien said:

I think Valerian is Luc Besson last film. After this debacle, he will not rise again I think, and will devote himself to production.  What you need to know is that he had been deeply hurt by the American failure of the Fifth Element in 97. And yet it had made $68m .. Valerian will do half as much!

And it's now a widely celebrated film so that point is now rendered pretty much mute.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

DeHaan is a villain, that's the problem. He doesn't have the aura of a hero and Besson should have seen that. 

You just need somebody charming to play such a role. There are some being able to play such a part. Elgort or even Tom Holland. Those are the guys you should go with for such a movie. 

Eh, I get more of a Nathan Drake vibe from Tom Holland:sparta:

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hit take... Valerian will be remembered more Dunkirk a decade from now.

I ll get back to you when I see  Valérian but I like it, I like it very mucho !

• Like 1