CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

5 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Not sure if I'm more excited for Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX or Episode 2 of GoT Season 7.

TV episode can be streamed at any time. 70mm IMAX is unique, especially on this film. They said 75% is IMAX footage but it feels like a higher percentage while watching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Yes, for sure. Best options:

1. IMAX 70mm

2. IMAX Laser

3. Regular 70mm

After seeing Dunkirk in IMAX Laser, I'm deffo going to see more films in that format. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

After seeing Dunkirk in IMAX Laser, I'm deffo going to see more films in that format. 

Thats how I saw it, too. Was staggering. Great sound is also key for Dunkirk.

• Like 2

Read this article in the news today where I am in Canada. A sobering reminder that this isn't just entertainment, and there were Canadians who fought too.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3617564/calgary-veteran-who-survived-dunkirk-causes-a-stir-at-movie-premiere/

Theatre goers watching the premiere of “Dunkirk” at Calgary’s Westhills Cinemas on Friday night got a surprise encounter with a 97-year -old man who was at the battle in 1940.

He was a 20-year-old signal man with the Royal Navy helping evacuated soldiers reach waiting boats from the chaos on the beach.

[...]

“I was 20 when that happened, but watching the movie, I could see my old friends again and a lot of them died later in the war,” Sturdy said. “I went on convoys after that in the North Atlantic. I had lost so many of my buddies. One of my mates was taken prisoner. He wasn’t killed on the beach.  They marched him up to Poland. And he spent five years in a German prisoner camp.”

“Don’t just go to the movie for entertainment. Think about it. And when you become adults, keep thinking, “ Sturdy advised.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's not a popcorn movie, but it is the kind of movie that will get people talking. You don't have to please everyone to do this. Inception did not please everyone. I don't think Dunkirk will have Inception's WOM, but the legs will be a lot stronger than Spidey Homecoming.

There is nothing really unique about Spidey Homecoming. There are a couple of very unique things about Dunkirk that will drive the conversation on this film. One of them happens to be the IMAX photography and it's a good thing the film has IMAX screens for 5-6 weeks. The WOM on the IMAX version of this movie is going to be excellent, so the longer it plays in that format the more IMAX can help the film's legs. 

One of those is that it's a real historical event, and an incredibly inspiring one at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

The Event Cinemas at Queen Street. Aka the only IMAX one in NZ.

DK Queen St the Imax screen alone nothing comes close and mixed with standard format at Queen st Imax is the bulk of it :) (similar story other places)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rth Homecoming said:

mmm yeah probably in 10-11 range

Anything around that number would be great.  That means it will stay flat from Friday minus previews.  That also gives it a legit shot at 30 million OW.

• Like 1