baumer

Dunkirk Tuesday Numbers: Dunkirk 4.48...WW 575K

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol.  No.  

If Disney wanted to move all their stuff to December tomorrow, other studios and theaters would have no choice but to bow down and either get steamrolled or move their date.  

I was of course being sarcastic. lol Of course anyone in their right mind knows that Disney is unstoppable given the sheer amount of billion dollar IP's and future billion dollar potential franchises. 

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

If Disney wanted those Avatar spots, they would take them and Fox couldn't do shit about it.  

Avatar was a phenomenon flash in the pan due to the great use of 3D.  Sure, it made money for theaters but it also has caused them nearly a decade of added costs and hassle.  Many theaters (most actually) can't wait to completely dump out of 3D.  Even IMAX sees the writing on the wall.  

I can't wait until Cameron and Fox come to theaters soon and tell them all the $$ they will need to spend to upgrade software or systems to properly show the new Avatar movies.  Unless he has something revolutionary up his sleeve, it isn't going to fly like it did in 2009.  

I think he wants to pull off "no glasses" version of 3D. Not sure how expensive this would be for theater owners, but I would bet you are right that they feel burned by the fact they went all in with 3D to the point of cramming it down the public's throat and yet here we are with 3D shares plummeting over time, no matter how many screens they give the format. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Peter Jackson and HFR proved a flop as well as only The Hobbit trilogy used it. 

There are a lot of theaters lately that when the time to replace a silver screen comes up, they install a regular screens and take of the 3D lens.  

Most don't run any 3D shows past the first week.  3D is dead in the water.  People would rather spend the money on better laser projectors and superior 2D image.  HFR is also dead as it has been completely rejected on the limited releases.  Nobody in the North American market likes it except for the directors.  

If anything, you are going to see a music industry like re-birth of film like vinyl has had in the last few years.  Warner Bros. is heavily invested in it and on board.  Sony is going to jump in as well and I think Disney is going to as well.  35mm and 70mm film is going to have a solid 8-10 releases per year going forward.  

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Taking a look at May 2018 with the only blockbusters being Infinity War and Han Solo. I think it's fair to say Disney dominates the marketplace. No studio wants to put a tentpole in between those two. I think the reason why IX is slated for May 2019, is for Disney to scare off competition for IW2 and then move it after Jedi's performance.

I still think it is kind of dumb to release Infinity War 2 and Episode 9 in the same month 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think he wants to pull off "no glasses" version of 3D. Not sure how expensive this would be for theater owners, but I would bet you are right that they feel burned by the fact they went all in with 3D to the point of cramming it down the public's throat and yet here we are with 3D shares plummeting over time, no matter how many screens they give the format. 

the intention of JC wanted to push "glassless" 3D suggest that he think people get rid of 3D due to the annoying glasses.....any proof for that?

My friend refuse 3D because the higher price doesn't justify the extra experience and sometime, it worsen the viewing experience as they were having headache to watch something in 3D. Is glassless 3D going to solve that uncomfortable effect?? If not, after avatar 2, JC and fox will cut down avatar's sequel to trilogy...... 

The Last Jedi was suppose to come out on May 26, 2017, before it moved to Dec 2017.

There was a huge domino effect with changing release dates in response.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/star-wars-episode-viii-moves-to-dec-2017-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-takes-over-memorial-day-2017-slot-1201686876/

When SW moved, Pirates moved, Spidey moved, and finally WW was moved to the first week of June. WW was originally going to go up against Transformers 5, with just 2 weeks in theaters before Spider came out.

So yeah, SUPER glad SW moved so Wonder Woman could be the movie of the summer.

Sometimes things really work out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Don't misinterpret this as an endorsement of Disney in any way.  They have become in a lot of ways the bully on the block and their strong arming of every situation does not go unnoticed in the industry.  It is always telling of how you treat people when you are on top, and it would be great if they were a lot more humble because their fall will eventually come in the cycle like it does for everyone.  

2019 is too fucking insane.  Avengers 4, Episode IX, Lion King, Toy Story 4, another live-action in August, all in the span of a few months during the summer...seriously, I'd be impressed if I wasn't so pissed off at them.  They're practically trying to make it so people ONLY see their movies.  Fuck any other potential franchises during that summer.  It really is telling how much they just wanna monopolize the industry.

This doesn't even take into account the other films coming out that year (Captain Marvel and Dumbo in March, untitled fairy-tale's/live-actions, and of course, Frozen 2).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Taking a look at May 2018 with the only blockbusters being Infinity War and Han Solo. I think it's fair to say Disney dominates the marketplace. No studio wants to put a tentpole in between those two. I think the reason why IX is slated for May 2019, is for Disney to scare off competition for IW2 and then move it after Jedi's performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barbie or I Feel Pretty moves off their current joint June 29 date and heads to Mother's Day weekend (or late July) as counter programming...it's a risky move for either, but staying put is gonna be a death knell for both.

Edited by TwoMisfits

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

If Disney wanted those Avatar spots, they would take them and Fox couldn't do shit about it.  

Avatar was a phenomenon flash in the pan due to the great use of 3D.  Sure, it made money for theaters but it also has caused them nearly a decade of added costs and hassle.  Many theaters (most actually) can't wait to completely dump out of 3D.  Even IMAX sees the writing on the wall.  

I can't wait until Cameron and Fox come to theaters soon and tell them all the $$ they will need to spend to upgrade software or systems to properly show the new Avatar movies.  Unless he has something revolutionary up his sleeve, it isn't going to fly like it did in 2009.  

Guys......

By the time  you would have know to never NEVER never never never .... etc ..... understimated James cameron.......

Studios and people did for Titanic and even Fox laughted at him when he proposed them Avatar..... Disney was interested and fox had the final word... Guess what happened?

WE never know what is in his mind well see but i feel like we ll be blow away again :)

Just my opinion but we act as if JC is a standard hollywood director .. he is not.

He is FIRst an inventor /explorer/scientist and AFTER a director :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

There are a lot of theaters lately that when the time to replace a silver screen comes up, they install a regular screens and take of the 3D lens.  

Most don't run any 3D shows past the first week.  3D is dead in the water.  People would rather spend the money on better laser projectors and superior 2D image.  HFR is also dead as it has been completely rejected on the limited releases.  Nobody in the North American market likes it except for the directors.  

If anything, you are going to see a music industry like re-birth of film like vinyl has had in the last few years.  Warner Bros. is heavily invested in it and on board.  Sony is going to jump in as well and I think Disney is going to as well.  35mm and 70mm film is going to have a solid 8-10 releases per year going forward.  

I think film has its future secure thanks to the likes of Nolan, Spielberg and Tarantino but I imagine digital is still going to be used by the likes of Fincher and Soderbergh. 

Laser projection is the future and the sooner cinemas upgrade, the better. I imagine they'll still be PLFs and things like 4DX and premium cinema but I suspect 3D will be very limited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@CJohn

There are of course examples of where movies suffer and aren't given the proper chance due to a whacked out RT score, but overall it is good for everyone.  

Studios (at least certain studios) are whining because RT has taken away their ability to trick people into seeing a garbage film on opening weekend.  Consumers are becoming better informed and demanding better content.  Studios have to trying harder and make better films.  

The better films overall are being heavily rewarded while the shit movies are being ignored more than ever.  

Executives hate it because it makes them up their game and work that much harder.  I don't see how that is a bad thing for anyone other than studio executives who don't know what they are doing and trying to not get fired.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

Guys......

By the time  you would have know to never NEVER never never never .... etc ..... understimated James cameron.......

Studios and people did for Titanic and even Fox laughted at him when he proposed them Avatar..... Disney was interested and fox had the final word... Guess what happened?

WE never know what is in his mind well see but i feel like we ll be blow away again :)

Just my opinion but we act as if JC is a standard hollywood director .. he is not.

He is FIRst an inventor /explorer/scientist and AFTER a director :)

His sequels don't have as great a track record as his "premier" works...so I wouldn't get my hopes too sky high yet, since he's not working off as good a starting concept as Skynet...

21 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Main thing is we need better projection in general. IMAX Laser and Dolby Cinema are both phenomenal projection quality. If only we could get the entire industry to upgrade.

I saw Dunkirk on regular digital projection for Discount Tuesday and I'm very glad the ticket price was discounted. This was a PLF screen that normally costs $14 and I paid $5 for the ticket. The projection looked like crap, especially compared to the IMAX versions of the movie. 

Give me a nice bright projection with good color, good resolution, and good sound. That's all I want. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

His sequels don't have as great a track record as his "premier" works...so I wouldn't get my hopes too sky high yet, since he's not working off as good a starting concept as Skynet...

Only sequel he has done to his own film is terminator 2. So, what track record?

• Like 1