Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

30 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Frankly... Detroit feels like the GA pushing back against Hollywood's lecturing them, in this case on race relations. 

They looked at Moonlight and everyone I've spoken to reacted with, "Really... THAT won instead of La La Land?!" which in itself was a response to the "Oscars So White" nonsense. Nonsense because they refused to acknowledge how something like 12 Years a Slave, a masterpiece acknowledged by every race from black, brown, white.. Hell even Tangerine (kidding... but you get my point), dominated at the Oscars the year before that.

Not saying Bigelow and her film were "talking down" to us dumb audiences. I haven't seen it and she's never been a filmmaker to do that. But it's just the perception that it is and the GA just said "Fuck you, you're not getting my money" and will instead opt for Dunkirk and/or Girls Trip.

moonlight got better reviews than LLL stop.

Detroit is flopping because they did a terrible job marketing it and it doesn't look appealing.  Nothing to do with "being lectured" by that logic Get Out would have flopped. Your subtle racism is showing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Shit starts winding down in August (more and more schools are starting within the first week of that month), thus numbers start to crater hard. And by the time we get to Labor Day weekend (the official closing weekend of the summer movie season), it's a ghost town at the mutliplexes. 

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

Shit starts winding down in August (more and more schools are starting within the first week of that month), thus numbers start to crater hard. And by the time we get to Labor Day weekend (the official closing weekend of the summer movie season), it's a ghost town at the mutliplexes. 

There's no wide releases on LD this year, and the weekend before LD has 3 movies which will barely qualify as wide releases. Its a big bunch of nothing the next few weeks. At least last year we had Squad, Sausage Party and Don't Breathe. Doesn't seem like August will have any major breakout this year.

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

EXCUSE ME did you just have the mgall to cpom-are mfivuiainaryu director luc besson to zack snyder let me fuekcingtelli you kid

Your Hulk Hogan impression is coming along nicely too. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, grim22 said:

There's no wide releases on LD this year, and the weekend before LD has 3 movies which will barely qualify as wide releases. Its a big bunch of nothing the next few weeks. At least last year we had Squad, Sausage Party and Don't Breathe. Doesn't seem like August will have any major breakout this year.

Everyone looked at last year and said "yeah, we don't want that filthy August/LD weekend money".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Aug 18 has a chance for a breakout - too bad the 2 movies might take each other out...wish one had moved a week later...

• Like 1

Labor Day weekend/the end of August in general will always be a dead zone at the box office. Only instances I can remember it not being one was Bring It On in 2000, the weekend Final Destination and Halloween movies somehow opened together in 2009, and Don't Breathe last year.

Just now, ban1o said:

Detroit is flopping because they did a terrible job marketing it and it doesn't look appealing.  Nothing to do with "being lectured" by that logic Get Out would have flopped. Your subtle racism is showing. 

It's not racism to actually bring up points... especially not while I said nice things about other black-themed films like 12 Years a Slave and Girls Trip - one of which I called it for what it was, a masterpiece. Get Out was sold for what it was - a horror film showcasing the popularity of Jordan Peele (making his debut behind the camera) and provocative imagery. Grow up and debate the discussion... or say nothing at all. Either way, try acting like an adult. For once.

Blocked.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Labor Day weekend/the end of August in general will always be a dead zone at the box office. Only instances I can remember it not being one was Bring It On in 2000, the weekend Final Destination and Halloween movies somehow opened together in 2009, and Don't Breathe last year.

What about Inglorious Bastards?

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Everyone looked at last year and said "yeah, we don't want that filthy August/LD weekend money".

I'm thinking Wonder Woman goes back into IMAX the weekend before Labor Day similar to Jurassic World and then expands into normal theaters over LD weekend. Cars 3 has to hold on for 4 more weekends if it wants to have a LD expansion, but the rate at which it has lost screens makes me think it goes into dollar theaters the weekend before LD before getting an expansion on LD. Not sure which other movies would do a LD expansion, maybe Baby Driver.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

I'm thinking Wonder Woman goes back into IMAX the weekend before Labor Day similar to Jurassic World and then expands into normal theaters over LD weekend. Cars 3 has to hold on for 4 more weekends if it wants to have a LD expansion, but the rate at which it has lost screens makes me think it goes into dollar theaters the weekend before LD before getting an expansion on LD. Not sure which other movies would do a LD expansion, maybe Baby Driver.

Baby Driver should have reached 100M by then but I guess Sony might still expand it anyway. WW is getting a IMAX/normal expansion on the weekend before LD. It will lose IMAX on LD but keep the rest. Dunkirk might get small expansions as well. I think Despicable Me 3 will get an expansion as well. Maybe even Emoji Movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It's odd that Labor Day weekend is a dumping ground for many films whereas other holidays can be pretty lucrative. 

It's because it marks the official end of summer. People are busy getting the last breath of summer air, while the industry is distracted by the various fall film festivals about to take place.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ban1o said:

My brother summed up Detroit perfectly on twitter: “if I want to watch black people get unfairly murdered by police I’ll turn on the news”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1