CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

16 hours ago, Premium George said:

If they make obi wan, make it for less than $100m. OS don't care about this films any more. Spin-offs.

One of the major ideas behind the Sw Story films was that since the story would be smaller in scale then the "Saga" films, they could be done on a smaller budget then the Main Story Line films. Instead Rogue One cost as much as a Saga film,,and Solo is the most expensive Star Wars film ever made.

And, although not a Kennedy hater, Kennedy has to take reponsiblity for that.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One of the major ideas behind the Sw Story films was that since the story would be smaller in scale then the "Saga" films, they could be done on a smaller budget then the Main Story Line films. Instead Rogue One cost as much as a Saga film,,and Solo is the most expensive Star Wars film ever made.

Even the original budget was too high if they supposedly gave it an extra $80m to reshoot.. certainly would not have gotten this movie to break even anyways.

Right now we're in a massive swirl of contradictory rumormongering.  One person on Twitter is saying that Daldry left "months ago" and this had little to do with Solo bombing.  MSW is suggesting that the film that was axed had nothing to do with either Kenobi or Fett and was an unrelated project, though I can see how a Mos Eisley centered movie could indeed have a lot to do with a Kenobi one.

Gonna say two things here.  Until contracts get signed and press releases sent/info slides put up at a presentation, films aren't official.  Just because the trades/blogs say something is "under development" doesn't mean it is nearly as far along the chain as we might think.  

It's called Development Hell for a reason.  Films get at the planning stage but not much further all the freaking time in every single studio on the face of this Earth.  

Where I am going to fault Lucasfilm to  degree is not being more open about their development/marketing process.  They've been more than a little opaque about their roadmap, and I think it is starting to bite them a bit.  

Now to a degree I sympathize with them as even before Lucas retired they were never a major studio with a slate of full releases stretching off into the distance, and certainly not within the last couple of decades.  So expecting them to get up to the level of a Pixar or Marvel or even the DC branch of WB is a tall ask.  Especially when their first film post-Lucas was the mega hit of all mega hits domestically.

So they're going through some growing pains, and in the case of Solo, very harsh learning adjustments.  

The key is:  Will they learn the right lessons AND be given the time to react accordingly.

If they parted ways with Daldry long before this ever became official and/or they are reassessing how to do their "stand alone" films (taking a pause to scale back the budget/expectations) then that is a good thing as it suggests that they did learn valuable lessons from Rogue One and Solo.

Still, they're called "growing pains" for a reason.  Time will tell whether or not Lucasfilm is afforded the time to go through them or not.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But what is "take responsibility"?

Fall on her sword or learn the lessons and do better next time?

If LFL is retooling Kenobi before they even made one whisper about it publicly, doesn't that suggest that she/they ARE 'taking responsibility' and acting differently now?

It's all well and good to say Kennedy should "be responsible" for Solo's failure.  It's another thing to actually let her be responsible.

• Like 2

Either way I want LF to be more public in where they're planning to go, rather than keep this mystery box they have going. I'm not saying this from a business perspective, but rather as a fanboy who just wants to know what Star Wars movies he gets to see and when :lol:

• Like 2

I got the feeling reading some of the statements that this is less "Cancel everything" and more, slow down everything, take a breath, and don't try making a bunch of things at once. Keep the eye on Episode 9 right this moment, and worry about any of these side movies/projects after that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

I got the feeling reading some of the statements that this is less "Cancel everything" and more, slow down everything, take a breath, and don't try making a bunch of things at once. Keep the eye on Episode 9 right this moment, and worry about any of these side movies/projects after that.

ldcfphmjhr7u7hzhcwsp.jpg

:) :) :) :)

(Google Search the image for those who don't get the reference)

((Also, get off my lawn while you're at it ;)))

Edited by Porthos

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

ldcfphmjhr7u7hzhcwsp.jpg

:ph34r: Someone doesn't visit the politics thread. I figured I'd start in a saner thread before trying an SW one.

I almost thought of coming back sooner, but then the Kelly Marie Tran thing happened, and I thought, maybe not yet.

((I will not get off your lawn. It's comfy!)

• Thanks 1

Show's over, folks.  Everyone can go home now. 

<don't explain the joke>

Anthony Breznican is more or less the go-to guy for Lucasfim stories that LFL WANTS released, but doesn't want to make an official comment quite yet.

He's a standup guy in all respects, near as I can tell. And he doesn't peddle bullshit (or at least any more than any other entertainment reporter).  But he is well known for having very friendly contacts deep within LFL and isn't afraid to pass their thoughts along to the rest of us.

</don't explain the joke>

====

Note, the original report said "on hold" and them being "on pause at the very least" does seem to be true from reading between the lines several comments across the intrawebs.  Regardless, Kenobi coming out in 2020 is looking less likely today than it was last week.

Edited by Porthos

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

We'll see who is right. I'd be stunned if nothing was cancelled and other things were not put on hold due to Solo bombing.

Oh, I'll be surprised if Fett ever sees the light of day, that's for sure.  Intimated as much when the news broke.

Though Disney's streaming service might not be a bad landing spot for a Fett film he said, perhaps partially not in jest.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Oh, I'll be surprised if Fett ever sees the light of day, that's for sure.  Intimated as much when the news broke.

Though Disney's streaming service might not be a bad landing spot for a Fett film he said, perhaps partially not in jest.

Disney seems so high on making a Fett movie that I can never quite count that one out.

My last comment notwithstanding, just about the only reason I don't give a Fett film a zero percent chance of being made in this post-Solo landscape is that it's been long rumored as Simon Kinberg's baby.

While I think ultimately Josh Trank got fired from what was presumed to be the Fett standalone film all those years ago by announcing to the world that he was in fact Josh Trank, a persistent rumor is that a major reason for him getting jettisoned was Trank and Kinberg not seeing eye-to-eye on the project.

And while now Kinberg is having... difficulties with Dark Phoenix, to put it mildly, he probably still has a decent amount of cache within the halls of Lucasfilm thanks to his work on the animated series Star Wars Rebels.

So if a Fett film ever does get made, it'll be because it has a champion within the halls of LFL.  Which is not a small thing.

That being said, having a Fett film show up on the Disney Streaming Service, with perhaps a limited domestic rollout, might not be the stupidest move ever made.  Depending on the budget and how the streaming landscape looks in, oh say five or six years, having a mid-sized budget film go straight to streaming might not be the scarlet letter of shame it currently seems to be.  Lots can change in a few years.  And something targeted to a more niche audience might make sense.

Or not.  But if anything gets delayed for a long time (and by a long time I mean six or seven years), it's the Fett film.  If it ever gets made.

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Disney seems so high on making a Fett movie that I can never quite count that one out.

I don't think it's really Disney, per se, as I said in my last post.  Besides the Kinberg angle, it doesn't hurt that this was one of the projects George Lucas kinda-sorta worked on/pushed the ball forward on immediately before the Disney acquisition. 

====

One other thing to consider.  Since it is nearly certain that Fett will be recast (don't really think Daniel Logan will be up for the part ;)), that film really can be done at any time.  Two years, four years, hell ten years from now.  Really doesn't matter.

And as for a Kenobi film, not only is Ewan McGregor not going anywhere anytime soon (*crosses fingers*) him aging into the role will probably actually be a benefit when it comes to playing an older Obi-Wan Kenobi. :lol:

So that's also a film that doesn't have a clock ticking on it, and could realistically be made anytime in the next five to ten years.

If we want to talk about long-shot bids, what I might be tempted to place a fiver on (at very long odds) is either an Ahsoka Tano or Doctor Aphra movie being the next one officially announced by Lucasfilm, even before a Kenobi one.

My reasoning is several fold.  First, the obvious:  Kathleen Kennedy is under a fair amount of pressure, rightly IMO, to stop hiring white dudes of a geekish background to helm all of her projects.  More to the point, there is a steady undercurrent of "why the hell haven't you hired a woman, anyway?" from prominent voices in both the fan and entertainment communities.

It's getting... talked about above the whisper stage is how I would put it.  And whether some folks here like it or not, the pressure is only going to get stronger.

And while it is more than a bit cliche to say "Welp film stars a woman, guess we'll have a woman to direct it" (as if they couldn't helm a film not starring women :rolleyes:), it is kinda the current trend in Hollywood.

Beyond that, both Ahsoka Tano and Doctor Aphra are rich multi-dimensional characters with VERY interesting stories to be told about them.  That they're two of the absolute fan favorites to come out of the current "expanded universe" of SW lore doesn't hurt one jot.  

Now I'm not saying either are likely.  But if I were to place a bet on a long-shot bid, that's where I'd go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

My last comment notwithstanding, just about the only reason I don't give a Fett film a zero percent chance of being made in this post-Solo landscape is that it's been long rumored as Simon Kinberg's baby.

Fuck Simon Kinberg, get Joe Johnston to make it as his final movie.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

If we want to talk about long-shot bids, what I might be tempted to place a fiver on (at very long odds) is either an Ahsoka Tano or Doctor Aphra movie being the next one officially announced by Lucasfilm, even before a Kenobi one.

My reasoning is several fold.  First, the obvious:  Kathleen Kennedy is under a fair amount of pressure, rightly IMO, to stop hiring white dudes of a geekish background to helm all of her projects.  More to the point, there is a steady undercurrent of "why the hell haven't you hired a woman, anyway?" from prominent voices in both the fan and entertainment communities.

It's getting... talked about above the whisper stage is how I would put it.  And whether some folks here like it or not, the pressure is only going to get stronger.

And while it is more than a bit cliche to say "Welp film stars a woman, guess we'll have a woman to direct it" (as if they couldn't helm a film not starring women :rolleyes:), it is kinda the current trend in Hollywood.

Beyond that, both Ahsoka Tano and Doctor Aphra are rich multi-dimensional characters with VERY interesting stories to be told about them.  That they're two of the absolute fan favorites to come out of the current "expanded universe" of SW lore doesn't hurt one jot.  

Now I'm not saying either are likely.  But if I were to place a bet on a long-shot bid, that's where I'd go.

I could name a hundred different movies that Lucasfilm will make before they consider an Ahsoka Tano movie.

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

ldcfphmjhr7u7hzhcwsp.jpg

Yeah well up your nose with a rubber hose

• Like 1