CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

I thought this show was supposed to come out next year?

I mean, they are supposed to start shooting it this October, similarly to The Mandalorian one year earlier. Thus it would be rather surprising if this would only come out in 2021 when The Mandalorian arrived a whole lot earlier comperatively.

DISNEY+ // APRIL 11, 2019

ALAN TUDYK TO RETURN AS K-2SO IN CASSIAN ANDOR LIVE-ACTION SERIES

THE AMERICANS’ STEPHEN SCHIFF ANNOUNCED AS SHOWRUNNER AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCER.

There is more than a 97.6 percent chance that K-2SO fans will be very happy.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy announced today that Alan Tudyk will reprise the role of K-2SO in the upcoming Cassian Andor live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service launching November 12. For Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Tudyk both voiced K-2SO and performed motion-capture for the towering droid, who quickly became a fan favorite thanks to his wit and sense of loyalty.

In addition, it was confirmed that Stephen Schiff, of the critically acclaimed show The Americans, will serve as showrunner and executive producer.

The series, set to go into production this year and premiere in 2021, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor.

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

Above images from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

From SW.com.

===

If I had to guess, I'd say shooting schedules.  I seem to recall hearing Alan Tudyk mention scheduling as a factor with his involvement in the series.

• Like 2

Nice article from SWNN.  Most of it is based on this tweet:

But the article itself over at SWNN is pretty through on the back story and possible angles here.

Now, could just be being coy, so file under RUMOR for now.  

• Like 3

Very nice and informative interview with the Kenobi showrunner.  

One interesting tidbit is that he's been involved on this project for a while now and was introduced via Daldry (the person who was rumored to direct the Kenobi film).  Going by his comments on "coming up on almost two years", I'm going to guess he came on board within weeks of Solo bombing. If not a matter of days. 

Says to me that the decision to shift this to Plus came very very very quickly.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/11/2019 at 1:48 AM, Porthos said:

Going by his comments on "coming up on almost two years", I'm going to guess he came on board within weeks of Solo bombing. If not a matter of days.

I don't know, isn't that quite the stretch for "almost two years"?

Solo started in late May, and you wouldn't really see any results that allowed to judge where the movie was heading until the second weekend, so early June. That would be 1 year and 5 months ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility to define that as almost two years, though it would feel rather odd to do so. Especially when you add that it takes some time to make decisions and get someone to sign up, which should reduce the timeframe even further.

Of course it is possible that he signed up after Solo came out and is stretching the timing a bit so as to not make it look as if it was connected to how that movie was doing (no idea why they would opt for that though). Or they looked at presales and figured out that the movie wasn't going to be as big as they hoped and thus made this change before it even came out. Or it doesn't have anything to do with the release of Solo and they decided that this project worked better as a tv-show for its own sake ;)