CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

*bangs head on wall repeatedly*

Not at @CoolEric258, but at all those <EXPLETIVE DELETED OF CHOICE> clickbait/entertainment sites which REFUSE to do even the most cursory of research.

Filming on the Game of Thrones prequel will start in Belfast in October, it has been confirmed.

Staff at the Paint Hall studios in the city's Titanic Quarter have been briefed that their next major project will be a series set 1,000 years before the events of the fantasy drama.

The news is another huge boost to our growing TV and film industry, with Superman prequel series Krypton also being filmed locally and the latest spin-off in the Star Wars franchise coming here in April 2019.

As Sunday Life exclusively revealed in February, Star Wars creator George Lucas visited Northern Ireland before Christmas to seal the deal for the new standalone film.

The movie will centre on the life of Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi, with Ewan McGregor reprising the role he first played in 1999's Star Wars prequel The Phantom Menace.

The new projects will secure hundreds of jobs in the TV and film industry well into 2020.

A Paint Hall source welcomed the developments. "This is fantastic news for everyone at the studio - from the cast and the crew, right down to the riggers and the catering staff," they told Sunday Life.

Now even setting aside the utter bullshit about Lucas having ANYTHING to do with SW anymore, can folks tell me what is the actual news here?

That's right, you can't.  This so-called 'new' report is, literally, them saying we said back in Feb that a Kenobi film was filming next year.

That's it.  They LITERALLY reported that they reported on something months ago.

And a bunch of <EXPLETIVE OF CHOICE DELETED AGAIN> sites ran with the story without bothering to do a fucking scintilla of checking things out.

Utterly. Pathetic.

(this is why Trump won, BTW)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

lol, file that one under "second source needed"

that said, the Obi-Wan movie was the one that I was really looking forward to, and I suspect I'm not alone in that feeling

If that's the one old standalone one that they still decide to make, that's fine with me.

• Like 3

Why shou

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, 4815162342 said:

I don't trust a single thing that comes out of Boris Johnson's mouth

Agreed. Johnson has been called the UK's answer to Donald Trump..

And like Trump Johnson is not just a liar but a bad one. The "Lucas will direct" part is what makes it such a freaking obvious lie.

Sad thing is a number of US SW fanboys will repeat this rumor, probably not even knowing who Johnson is. Hell, they probably could not name the Prime Minsiter of the UK.

Edited by dudalb

Alright, summary of today's news for those catching up and haven't been reading the TROS thread.

Jordan Maison broke the news that Ewan McGregor had signed a deal with Disney to reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi. (Cinelinx)

Soon afterwards, Fantha Tracks independently confirmed it and pegged it at 8 episodes on D+, along with a hint at "a familiar mechanical co-star". (Fantha Tracks)

Then MSW jumped on the bandwagon, though their sourcing had it at six episodes. (MSW)

Then in the last couple of hours, all three major trades (Deadline, Variety, THR) along with BMD also reported the news, though they all put it as "McGregor is in talks".

So looks like it's happening folks. With this many leaks, I'd expect some sort of announcement to make it official at D23! 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

===

Also some of my thoughts from the TROS thread:

(re Maul)

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Nah, they had their meeting in Rebels and it was all but said to be their first one since the PT.  

Perhaps R2, though.  That line about not owning a droid has already been abused, so what's a little more damage to it?

(also could explain just how R2 knew where Obi lived [in a general sense if not specific], come to think of it. YiBe40t.png )

(re general thoughts)

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

As I'm catching up, a one series limited run (eight episodes or so) on D+ with Ewan McGregor directing some of them (as an enticement to sign on the dotted line) makes a hell of a lot of sense.  Use the original Obi-Wan film treatment (if there was one) as a skeleton to tell a Yojimbo like story of Obi-Wan trying to do good while not blowing his cover makes a lot of sense.  Lots of potential for drama and adventure there.  

As mentioned up thread, there was that SW cantina film that was allegedly in the works as well. LFL is famous for never throwing away ideas and repurposing them for other projects (see all the 1313/Underworld stuff that has made it into other works).

And, of course, Iger has already said to expect a third TV series before the D&D films start.

So this passes the smell test to me.  Too much smoke over the last eight months or so as well as fitting the current LFL roadmap pretty easily.  Could be that mystery announcement that D23 has planned. Though devoting an entire panel to this seems very un-D23 like.  More likely they announce it as part of the Friday TV panel.  

Late 2020/Early 2021 would be my guess.

Still digging into this, but I think this is real.  

===

I wouldn't expect confirmation from the Trades yet, as the SW scooper sites tend to run about two to three weeks ahead of the Trades.  On the other hand, "unexpected source" and actually signing a contact could mean the Trades will break it relatively soon as well, as contracts are their bread and butter when it comes to announcements.

Either way, some sort of annoucement at D23 seems likely.  IF this is accurate.

re R2D2:

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

That's just it, it's ambiguous enough to go either way.  R2 keeps his yap shut enough that it could work.

Like, it could offer supporting evidence why R2 took off in one direction in the OG Star Wars film and then took off from Luke's farm.  If he had a general sense of where to look for Obi-Wan, it makes sense on one level.

Also could work if Ben Kenobi and R2 cross paths outside of his desert dwelling.  Say in Mos Eisley or another settlement on Tatooine.  Might make a veiled reference to living in the Western Dune Sea without actually mentioning exactly where.

Might not be R2 though.  But even Galaxy Brain Me has a very hard time figuring out how Maul could possibly fit here.  Even as a penultimate meeting, it was heavily implied that Maul had to discover that Obi-Wan was on Tatooine.

I suppose Maul could fit in if Obi-Wan runs into the Crimson Dawn and Maul never finds out about Obi-Wan's involvement.  That could work from a lore standpoint, though it might piss off viewers that they'll never get to meet.  Might not like getting teased like that.

So, I'm not entirely shutting the door on Maul.  But it'd have to be handled with exquisite care and lots of minefields out there.

That covers a lot of where I'm at right now, expectations wise. :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

would this not be more thrilling to see in a cinema full of star wars fans, not the same experience at home

Well, it's a tradeoff, right?  As much as I want more SW films. it seems for now Iger has decided that less is more.  And there just isn't room for smaller character studies right now in Iger's/Lucasfilm's current vision for the films (we'll see how it goes going forward).

On the other hand, we get more content this way at probably around the same production level, or a little less.

I can't even call it quantity over quality.  But perhaps more quantity over communal experience.

All things being equal, I'd probably prefer a Kenobi movie, sure.  Right now all things aren't equal, so I'll take this with few, if any, second thoughts or crying over spilt milk.

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, it's a tradeoff, right?  As much as I want more SW films. it seems for now Iger has decided that less is more.  And there just isn't room for smaller character studies right now in Iger's/Lucasfilm's current vision for the films (we'll see how it goes going forward).

On the other hand, we get more content this way at probably around the same production level, or a little less.

I can't even call it quantity over quality.  But perhaps more quantity over communal experience.

All things being equal, I'd probably prefer a Kenobi movie, sure.  Right now all things aren't equal, so I'll take this with few, if any, second thoughts or crying over spilt milk.

is Iger really leaving in 2 years or so? Changes are coming , not sure bad or good?

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

is Iger really leaving in 2 years or so? Changes are coming , not sure bad or good?

No idea.  He's supposed to leave, but who knows if he sticks around.

Like you often say though, I think SW's film slate is up in the air until TROS is done and analyzed.  I do tend to think though that films Disney might be a bit more iffy on, D+ is gonna look awfully enticing.

For instance, there is that (KO)TOR film trilogy that Laeta Kalogridis is supposed to be writing.  Who knows what's going to happen to that and where it is ultimately headed.  And, remember, word of this project broke out this year, long after the standalones were nuked and the 'pause' on films officially announced.

I tend to think that's destined for D+.  But, who knows, maybe post-TROS they'll mix things back up a little.   Or whoever the next head of Disney (and LFL for that matter, given KK's deal also is over in a couple of years) might decide to do something different.  Maybe as Solo fades into the distance, a reassessment will be given on the whys and wherefores of its bombage and they'll try again  with an accelerated schedule.

Or maybe the first B&W film flops and those get shelved and something else replaces it.

SW is in a pretty fluid situation right now.  Time will tell just where the fluid ends up flowing.

6 hours ago, Porthos said:
8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

No idea.  He's supposed to leave, but who knows if he sticks around.

Under Iger, Disney has experienced increases in revenue across its various divisions, with the company's market capitalization value increasing from $48.4 billion to $257 billion over a period of thirteen years.

In April 2019, Abigail Disney, granddaughter of Walt's brother Roy, claimed that the increased annual compensation of Disney's Chief Executive, Bob Iger, “deepened wealth inequality”. Iger made $65.6 million in 2018 – 1,424 times the median salary of a Disney employee, which included a one-time stock grant for extending his contract to oversee the acquisition of 21st Century Fox. The Walt Disney Company responded by saying, "Disney has added more than 70,000 jobs during Mr. Iger's tenure and has made historic investments to expand the earning potential and upward mobility of our workers," adding that they had implemented an hourly minimum wage at Disneyland of $15/hour and are spending $150m on an education initiative to provide free college training. Iger announced that he will step down as CEO and Chairman of Disney when his contract expires at the end of 2021.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Iger

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

SW is in a pretty fluid situation right now.  Time will tell just where the fluid ends up flowing.

I guess you might be the right person to ask (I know others know too, but you seem to be up to date with lots of read articles and such:

what are the actual confirmed & the looking like it will happen TV-series or TV-miniseries for SW, live action / animated version?

Looking like as in reported per the typical outlets or very trustworthy whatever you use as sources, e.g. Obi Wan, even if still 'may...' status.

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I guess you might be the right person to ask (I know others know too, but you seem to be up to date with lots of read articles and such:

what are the actual confirmed & the looking like it will happen TV-series or TV-miniseries for SW, live action / animated version?

Looking like as in reported per the typical outlets or very trustworthy whatever you use as sources, e.g. Obi Wan, even if still 'may...' status.

I posted something like that last night in the TROS thread, but it might have gotten a little lost in the Netflix discussion, so I'll repeat it here. :)

Confirmed:

The Mandalorian - Season 1 (at launch)

The Clone Wars - Season 7 (Sometime in Year One of D+)

Cassian Andor Prequel Series (Sometime 2021)

All But Confirmed:

The Mandalorian - Season 2

Obi-Wan Series (limited run of 6 to 8 episodes)

------

You didn't ask about things that aren't confirmed, but might as well add this:

Rumors Floating Around

Crimson Dawn/Qi'ra series (live action)

That last one isn't remotely confirmed, but I'm mentioning it since there's been some whispers about it in the grapevine, as it where.  If it happens, probably won't be for a while.  Also some rumor mongering about Ray Park returning as Live Action Maul in some capacity as a result of his motion capture work he did for TCW Season 7, but that could easily tie in to a Crimson Dawn series.

A rumor popped up last night that the Cassian Andor series is also supposed to be a limited run like the Obi Wan one, which might allow for future Event Miniseries. 

So while Mandalorian might be an ongoing thing, other SW live action series might be a one season special type thing where they tell a long form story over several episodes.

===============

That's pretty much the state of things.  Probably be a new animated series at some point with Resistance closing up shop this year on cable, but no real rumors (solid or otherwise) on that front.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Cassian Andor Prequel Series (Sometime 2021)

I thought this show was supposed to come out next year?

I mean, they are supposed to start shooting it this October, similarly to The Mandalorian one year earlier. Thus it would be rather surprising if this would only come out in 2021 when The Mandalorian arrived a whole lot earlier comperatively.