That One Girl

It: Chapter Two | September 6, 2019 | 11th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

21 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Watching the credits now and I really enjoyed it.  Will debate about a grade when I think it over more

I enjoyed it too but I continuously have to remind myself that I cannot compare to the book. I just cannot believe how many things are in the movie that are not in the book. They made so many changes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

I enjoyed it too but I continuously have to remind myself that I cannot compare to the book. I just cannot believe how many things are in the movie that are not in the book. They made so many changes.

I get what you mean, but Ilike some of the changes since they had to do it.  Like the one kid scene that was never going to be in the first film, I think they found some decent ways to get around certain elements but keep the idea of the book.

But yes, many things are different, but they did keep a lot of the references in there even if it wasn't in their version of the story

I don't want to go too in depth since it would be getting into spoiler territory

• Like 1

ok, I will probably give the movie at worst a B+, possibly an A-.

The cast was amazing and yes Hader stole the show

I didn't have any issue with the length of the movie.  It never seemed long or slow so I doubt that will be an issue with anyone.

A couple decent scares and creepy things, but not overly scary overall.

Here is a pic of the car that was in front of the theater that I was talking about earlier.  I will only post the car and not me next to it :P 

69630589_10156932290187054_3700802551063

69860492_10156932290232054_2859947533323

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 6

@baumer is there a spoiler thread for IT?

also, I was able to detach myself from the book much easier going in this time.  I guess because last time, I read the book right before and this time, I just watched the first movie before so I was in a different state of mind,

• Like 2

I will Echo a lot of 75s thoughts as well. The cast did a really good job and Bill Hader definitely stole the show. I like the camaraderie that was developed with all the cast members and characters. 

I'll probably have to wait to see it for a second time before I can give it a grade but right now it would be somewhere between an a- and B+

• Like 3

Just now, 75Live said:

@baumer is there a spoiler thread for IT?

also, I was able to detach myself from the book much easier going in this time.  I guess because last time, I read the book right before and this time, I just watched the first movie before so I was in a different state of mind,

the movie is up in the Grade the movie forum so you can discuss spoilers there for sure

• Like 1

My problem with the first movie was that it did not have a palpable sense of dread and terror that to me DEFINED the book. It was too fun - lots of goofy jump scares and jokes and action-type sequences. Will see the new one tomorrow, hoping for better.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Thought it was alright. The more I think of it the move it seems stupid. So my thoughts:

Outside of Richie and Eddie, the cast didn't have much chemistry. It wasn't bad but it wasn't sizzling and that sunk romantic scenes in particular. Romance was the worst. Every time that part was on the screen you could feel people groaned inwardly. It just didn't work. It felt like, because two characters were given nothing to do, they were pushed together to at least have something that wasn't following the group around. I wished they were just following the group around. I know that this is in line with the book but talk about useless. Like, really useless.

You start to feel the length when they go on a token hunt. It's like, oh shit 2 down, 3 to come. That part is the most repetitive and has no tension because you know that formula for 1 applies to all 5. So how it goes down, you see from miles away.

CGI was ridiculous at times especially in the third act so I don't know if they went with the intentional comedy or what.

Since principal characters felt in no danger at any point, the movie did a good job of making me fret about mini characters that were in actual danger.

I still fail to see why certain character escaped. What was his contribution to the story again? Beat me.

If you punch someone in the face, don't show them with a bruised arm. you either punch them in the arm or you don't punch them at all. It's stupid and jarring and brings unwanted attention to that there should be a swollen face/black eye instead of a bruised hand.

Overexplaining anything sucks but overexplaining the villain sucks the most. Villains are scary cause they are mysterious. Once you explain them, they loose the appeal. Explanation here was dumb though they didn't use all WTF elements from the book. But the whole mess of a finale with OTT bad CGI, with characters spellling out what they were going to do was dumb.

There was no real resonance. They tried to bring magic back by inserting child versions for they mesh so well but that only made the point that adult versions (Richie and Eddie aside) were boring af. 

To non-smoker actors playing smokers. either tell the script-writer to write "I quit smoking" line or suck it up and inhale. Barely puffing doesn't do it. Looks fake and doesn't convince anyone. It's just a pointless detail that doesn't say anything about the character precisely cause everyone can see that it's a non-smoker not even trying to play pretend a smoker. 

Liked the cameo at the bike shop.

This must have been shot in Canada for everything about it, especially big cities, looked like Canada. 

Trailers: Black Xmas saved me money for it showed the whole movie in the trailer. Who the villain is, the twist, everything. Pass.

New Joker looks amazing on the big screen.

BoP looks so much fun.

I forgot what else was playing.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

My problem with the first movie was that it did not have a palpable sense of dread and terror that to me DEFINED the book. It was too fun - lots of goofy jump scares and jokes and action-type sequences. Will see the new one tomorrow, hoping for better.

There was a great piece on The AV Club yesterday that really got at this among other things.