That One Girl

It: Chapter Two | September 6, 2019 | 11th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I'm kind of surprised the movie was pretty much uncut and even got released where I live (I live in the middle east) considering that it features explicit gay characters at the start of the movie (not really spoilers). But I do think they kiss or something and that was cut out by the local distributors. Also speaking of that, I loved those two characters. They both felt very real to me (and not like a caricature like many writers would have made them be and I think they even were caricatures in the book).

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm kind of surprised the movie was pretty much uncut and even got released where I live (I live in the middle east) considering that it features explicit gay characters at the start of the movie (not really spoilers). But I do think they kiss or something and that was cut out by the local distributors. Also speaking of that, I loved those two characters. They both felt very real to me (and not like a caricature like many writers would have made them be and I think they even were caricatures in the book).

Spoiler

you'd be surprised at the amount of people who would root for that gay couple to be beat up in the middle east (depends on which part of the ME obv but still):bagoverhead:

13 hours ago, baumer said:

I enjoyed it too but I continuously have to remind myself that I cannot compare to the book. I just cannot believe how many things are in the movie that are not in the book. They made so many changes.

The worst part is that pretty much all of these changes were for the worst. I had so many problems with this movie, ugh. Hope it will improve on a second watch. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No spoilers: 

Eddie and Ritchie MVP’s for me. 

The last 90 minutes are fantastic. 

The opening shocked me, but I can see why it was done. 

James McAvoy miscast. 

Not enough Pennywise in the first half. 

Emotional. 

4/5. 

Not surprised about McAvoy. I personally pictured Tobey Maguire as Bill while reading the book myself. 

Either way, great feedback! Tomorrow is the day for for me!

1 hour ago, MrGamer said:

I feel like I’m going to love the 5 hour cut when it comes out since having both parts together would make the experience so much better.

Muschetti for his supercut actually wants to incorporate as much deleted material as possible plus film a couple new scenes, so we could actually be looking at six hours plus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Got busy immediately after the movie ended so I couldn't delve into it as much right away. I didn't find a single thing in the whole movie even remotely scary or unnerving, and it didn't feel like anyone else in the theater did either. Horror was basically more of a style here than a genre. It's fun, funny, weird, poorly structured, not as epic as it seems to think it is, and Bill Hader is Oscar calibre.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Got busy immediately after the movie ended so I couldn't delve into it as much right away. I didn't find a single thing in the whole movie even remotely scary or unnerving, and it didn't feel like anyone else in the theater did either. Horror was basically more of a style here than a genre. It's fun, funny, weird, poorly structured, not as epic as it seems to think it is, and Bill Hader is Oscar calibre.

I must be the only one who wasn't dissapointed that it wasn't scary. Didn't find the first film really scary either. Tbf, I actually found this more scary because this was the first proper horror film I watched in cinemas (unless A Quiet Place counts) and the loud ass shit noises got me. Also found the

Spoiler

scene with the little girl to actually be really tense. And the payoff of in that scene was horrific too.

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I must be the only one who wasn't dissapointed that it wasn't scary. Didn't find the first film really scary either. Tbf, I actually found this more scary because this was the first proper horror film I watched in cinemas (unless A Quiet Place counts) and the loud ass shit noises got me. Also found the

Spoiler

Hide contents

scene with the little girl to actually be really tense. And the payoff of in that scene was horrific too.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed, I don't find any horror movie to be particularly scary (especially not either of these IT movies). I brought it up in this case because it felt unusally unscary. Usually I can go "I don't find this scary but I can see how it would be for others and admire the craft behind it". I didn't think that for anything in this movie, the setpieces were mostly just fun time-fillers.

Edited by Lucas

Loved this! I thought it was scary enough. There was definitely some disturbing imagery (and I'm not just talking about the obvious scenes either).

That said, the cast MADE this film. Sure, Hader stood out but they were all just fantastic! The scene that set the stage in this regard - and one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie - was the reunion scene at the Chinese restaurant. My audience had so much fun with that scene. Kudos again to the kid actors for their work in It obviously, but kudos also go to the adult cast for filling their shoes so well in this one.

I can see why some people preferred the first though. It was simpler and a tighter film. It was the kids vs Pennywise. In this one we start exploring some of the mythology behind Pennywise and there are certain scenes that might come across...I don't know....goofy? I didn't necessarily think so, but I've seen others kind of allude to that.

All in all it truly was an epic end to this story. I really don't think Andy Muschietti could have done much better. This was always going to be the tougher part to pull off.

8/10.

• Like 1