CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

5 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

In hindsight, I should've realized that IT would be bigger than I expected.

I just instantly forgot that almost everyone in my age range grew up watching the Tim Curry miniseries. 

Well that and the book was huge, probably King's best selling novel in general. I definitely underestimated it I'll admit. Did much better then expected, and I like that. It's a real huge "unexpected" box office breakout, and it's been a while since we've had one of those. 

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well that and the book was huge, probably King's best selling novel in general. I definitely underestimated it I'll admit. Did much better then expected, and I like that. It's a real huge "unexpected" box office breakout, and it's been a while since we've had one of those. 

IT Chapter 2 I suspect will probably do less than IT but still do great numbers. The budget's probably going to be $60-75m since I suspect they'll try and get names for the adult cast and better CGI. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

IT Chapter 2 I suspect will probably do less than IT but still do great numbers. The budget's probably going to be $60-75m since I suspect they'll try and get names for the adult cast and better CGI. 

I'm going to stan for Amy Adams as Beverly and Tobey Maguire as Bill until they inevitably announce someone else.  

Edited by Steele131
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Considering how successful It is, I don't think it'll be hard to get "names" for the sequel. I'm predicting the second one will open around 100m (could open to even more then first, who knows?), but will have worse legs the first, just on the account of being a sequel. Should be very profitable for WB in general though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Cars 3 in terms of box office has kind of flopped since the budget was so high but the profits from BATB alone will more than cover it as well as the Cars merch sales. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mattel-could-get-wrecked-by-weak-cars-3-toy-sales-2017-07-28

“Based on the current worldwide revenue for the ‘Cars 3’ movie, we believe Mattel is likely to underperform its $300 million POS target,” wrote MKM Partners analyst Eric Handler in a note. He said analyst research suggests that “Cars 3” toy sales are down more than 30% domestically, and global box office appears to be tracking at about 40% of “Cars 2.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Considering how successful It is, I don't think it'll be hard to get "names" for the sequel. I'm predicting the second one will open around 100m (could open to even more then first, who knows?), but will have worse legs the first, just on the account of being a sequel. Should be very profitable for WB in general though.

Will be interesting where WB will schedule the sequel, my guess would be either August 2019 or September 2019. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

No more parody movies! Those were killed stone dead by the various *insert title* Movies and I think they're now just released DTV or VOD

Frieberg & Seltzer ruined the parody movie, by making them parodies of anything that was currently popular, instead of focusing on one particular subject, and being highly unfunny in the process.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm still surprised how well Me Before You did last year. That film did fine domestic but was successful OS.

Surprisingly it was very successful in countries like Brazil & Germany, even more when compared to say the U.K. Guess the novel was very successful in those countries. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Will be interesting where WB will schedule the sequel, my guess would be either August 2019 or September 2019. 

I would guess September, since the first was so successful in that month, unless the competition is huge, which seems unlikely, or close enough to Halloween. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Frieberg & Seltzer ruined the parody movie, by making them parodies of anything that was currently popular, instead of focusing on one particular subject, and being highly unfunny in the process.

The thing about the classic parodies that Mel Brooks or ZAZ did is they still told an actual story within the confines of what they were parodying

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

What does WB have for October 2019?

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I would guess September, since the first was so successful in that month, unless the competition is huge, which seems unlikely, or close enough to Halloween. 

They have an untitled film for the end of September but I assume that was meant for a WAG film. My guess would be August 2nd, September 6th or September 13th. I imagine they'll schedule The Crooked Man in the month that IT Chapter 2 doesn't take

1 minute ago, DAR said:

The thing about the classic parodies that Mel Brooks or ZAZ did is they still told an actual story within the confines of what they were parodying

And didn't include movie references which would be dated even before the parody movies released. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Disaster Movie was released on 8/28/2008

Hancock was 7/2/2008

Disaster Movie was literally just spoofing bits from trailers such as Hancock because it wasn't even out yet when they made DM.  

UGH.

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

Yup, stuff like Young Frankenstein, Airplane, The Naked Gun, Top Secret, Blazing Saddles etc... stuck to their particular genre / film, parodied it, and actually told a fun / compelling story in the process. With modern day parody movies it basically become "what film is currently popular or could be huge, lets include it, hey isn't it funny to see a giant cow hit Iron Man in the face etc...". That's not comedy. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1