CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Frieberg & Seltzer ruined the parody movie, by making them parodies of anything that was currently popular, instead of focusing on one particular subject, and being highly unfunny in the process.

Surprisingly it was very successful in countries like Brazil & Germany, even more when compared to say the U.K. Guess the novel was very successful in those countries. 

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

The thing about the classic parodies that Mel Brooks or ZAZ did is they still told an actual story within the confines of what they were parodying

The Naked Gun and Airplane are classics but things like Austin Powers worked on their own and as a Bond parody. The F&S films were cheap, money grabber which dated horribly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

Disaster Movie was released on 8/28/2008

Hancock was 7/2/2008

Disaster Movie was literally just spoofing bits from trailers such as Hancock because it wasn't even out yet when they made DM.  

UGH.

I remember Scary Movie 5 spoofs bits of the Evil Dead remake lmao.

18 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

Just like how last night increased from 45M - 51M

Yeah sorta. Last night the early numbers were 48-49mil and it did 51mil. Maybe I'll be wrong and it'll do 37-38mil but it feels like one of those movies that will be slightly underestimated until it's run is over.

3 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

Disaster Movie was released on 8/28/2008

Hancock was 7/2/2008

Disaster Movie was literally just spoofing bits from trailers such as Hancock because it wasn't even out yet when they made DM.  

UGH.

I actually paid money to see Disaster & Epic Movie in the theater. Don't blame me. I was a teen at the time, I didn't know any better, and I've since regretted it.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They have an untitled film for the end of September but I assume that was meant for a WAG film. My guess would be August 2nd, September 6th or September 13th. I imagine they'll schedule The Crooked Man in the month that IT Chapter 2 doesn't take

September 14th doesn't seem likely since WB has an animated film scheduled that week, maybe September 7th or later in October?

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I actually paid money to see Disaster & Epic Movie in the theater. Don't blame me. I was a teen at the time, I didn't know any better, and I've since regretted it.

September 14th doesn't seem likely since WB has an animated film scheduled that week, maybe September 7th or later in October?

My September dates were for 2019, there's no way I can see WB fasttracking the sequel for 2018 without rushing it.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Naked Gun and Airplane are classics but things like Austin Powers worked on their own and as a Bond parody. The F&S films were cheap, money grabber which dated horribly. 

Even the first Scary Movie stuck mostly to horror, even if it did us F&S.

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

And it depends on the day, but for my money Young Frankenstein is the funniest film ever made

That and Blazing Saddles are definitely up. I'm also a fan of Brooks lesser talked about film. History of The World Part 1 is a film I happen to really enjoy, though I wouldn't call it a flat-out parody, as much as I'd call it a skit film, a fun one at that too.

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

My September dates were for 2019, there's no way I can see WB fasttracking the sequel for 2018 without rushing it.

Ah 2019 makes more sense, then.

14 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

I still love both Hot Shots! movies.  

Hot Shots! Part Deux is hilarious. "I loved you in Wall Street!" Every scene with Admiral Benson is hilarious too.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Hot Shots! Part Deux is hilarious. "I loved you in Wall Street!"

Seltzerberg probably saw that scene and thought "What if we build entire movies based in this specific reference based humor?" Instead of recognizing what made the joke work

I was looking at some shit about Friedberg and Seltzer and I came across a forum post where the title of it is "I hope these 2 guys die of anal cancer: Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer" lmaooo.  what do you expect from a forum called "hockey-fights.com"

http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/511976/post/937128/

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Will be interesting where WB will schedule the sequel, my guess would be either August 2019 or September 2019. 

I would guess September, since the first was so successful in that month, unless competition somehow becomes huge. 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Seltzerberg probably saw that scene and thought "What if we build entire movies based in this specific reference based humor?" Instead of recognizing what made the joke work

Heck Frieberg's dad who's also director, probably saw the film too, and decided to ask his son & his best friend Seltzer to write a parody script with him, which resulted in Spy Hard. Seltzer & Friedberg's careers basically started because of good old fashioned nepotism. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Hot Shots! Part Deux is hilarious. "I loved you in Wall Street!" Every scene with Admiral Benson is hilarious too.

Rowan Atkinson's delivery of "They tied my shoelaces together." gets me every time.  

One of the reasons I love those movies was the subtle visual jokes included within the ridiculousness.  The Elvis popping pills stamp, the train to Hawaii, the Jello patch on the flight suit, the fact that the jets all said "The Navy."  Little shit like that that you might not see or get the first time, but it's there.  

4 minutes ago, Boner Omega said:

Rowan Atkinson's delivery of "They tied my shoelaces together." gets me every time.  

One of the reasons I love those movies was the subtle visual jokes included within the ridiculousness.  The Elvis popping pills stamp, the train to Hawaii, the Jello patch on the flight suit, the fact that the jets all said "The Navy."  Little shit like that that you might not see or get the first time, but it's there.  

I really appreciate the Hot Shots films because they're parodies of an already silly genre, the macho action war movies. They're just taking that genre, & parodying them well, but it also seems like Abrahams & co are also fans of said genre. Plus they're funny to boot, which helps. 

Edited by Fancyarcher