CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

So how long do we have to wait until a new Scary Movie,wh8ch will be a parody of It is announced?

No more parody movies! Those were killed stone dead by the various *insert title* Movies and I think they're now just released DTV or VOD

I still can't believe that Warner managed to sell a Rated R HORROR movie, about kids being killed, full of GORE images, as an event movie, this is surreal, it is one of the most spectacular marketing campaign of history, if not the best, I can only think in the Blair Witch one being so impressive as this. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Don't forget "Everything, Everything".

It was a teen romantic drama that had little to no marketing and was basically an indie movie but it made 53 mil off a 10 mil budget, which isn't too shabby.

I'm still surprised how well Me Before You did last year. That film did fine domestic but was successful OS.

19 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Warner Bros has had a great year. Only one flop which everyone expected to flop and a bunch of giant successes ((Wonder Woman, It)) with some mid-tier successes ((Kong: Skull Island, Dunkirk, LEGO Batman, Annabelle: Creation)) and they still have Justice League and Blade Runner 2049 yet to come out.

Only one? (Live by Night is a 2016 film but made the majority of its money this year so I'm adding it in don't @ me)

Live_by_Night_(film).pngFist_Fight.pngChips_film_poster.jpgUnforgettable_2017_poster.jpgKing_Arthur_LotS_poster.jpgThe_House_(2017_film).png

Stunning opening day for IT. To beat the previous September opening weekend record in it's opening day is remarkable. 

Also, the movie is excellent. Full, emotionally and thematically resonant, and with strong, fully realized central characters. The actors playing the kids were great, and their interactions felt grounded and real. And while horror preferences vary (as there is such a diversity of horror films), I found its horror elements to be a very satisfying mix of different horror techniques and surprising in great ways (I want to specify more here, but I'll have to do it in the spoiler-allowed review thread). 

I can't remember the last time I saw a horror film that felt so pleasantly rich and where I felt invested to such a degree. I look forward to Part 2.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Alien: Covenant? It didn't even make the original Alien's unadjusted gross, true underperformer. 

In all seriousness, it did really well on Friday, is looking to have around 4M for the weekend. In another words, 100M is a lock now.

TCU will officially be the first Horror franchise in history to have 3 movies crossing $100m DOM, and with The Nun and TC3 coming, this record is going to increase even more, the consistence of this franchise is remarkable, most of Horror movies dies after the third movie, but TCU is going to the fifth movie with a blockbuster status. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Only one? (Live by Night is a 2016 film but made the majority of its money this year so I'm adding it in don't @ me)

Live_by_Night_(film).pngFist_Fight.pngChips_film_poster.jpgUnforgettable_2017_poster.jpgKing_Arthur_LotS_poster.jpgThe_House_(2017_film).png

The others were pretty low budget so there wasn't much of a loss.

• Like 1

I think I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how fucking Big IT's opening day was.

To put it in perspective, it is the #30 of all time, everything else above it are well known gargantuan blockbusters that basically swept the box office by storm. Only a few of the movies that opened above IT ended with a gross of below 300M (although not by much) and they were Twilight and Potter sequels, some of the most notorious front-loaded franchises ever.

So yea, I think 300M is happening for this. Absolutely fucking incredible.

This is the box office story of 2017 as far as I am concerned.

Nothing else will come close IMO for the rest of the year unless The Last Jedi pulls off a miraculous run.

Never in a million years I thought this movie could do superhero/blockbuster numbers, with the budget of the catering of Avengers Infinity Wars or Justice League.

It s shattering so many BO records it's mindboggling.

Box office history was written this week-end folks.

Not bad for a (s....d) clown.

:bravo:

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

The others were pretty low budget so there wasn't much of a loss.

Using the double the budget rule, this is how much they lost on those films:

Live by Night: 75M (officially reported by Variety) http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-live-by-night-flop-1201971025/

The House: 46.7M

CHiPs: 23.3M

Unforgettable: 10.2M

Fist Fight: 8.9M

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

This is the box office story of 2017 as far as I am concerned.

Nothing else will come close IMO for the rest of the year unless The Last Jedi pulls off a miraculous run.

Never in a million years I thought this movie could do superhero/blockbuster numbers, with the budget of the catering of Avengers Infinity Wars or Justice League.

It s shattering so many BO records it's mindboggling.

Box office history was written this week-end folks.

Not bad for a (s....d) clown.

:bravo:

The only thing that is keeping me mutually calm this weekend is that is was not supposed to be surprising if this cleared 100M.  American Sniper and Jurassic World remain the two outliers for me.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Using the double the budget rule, this is how much they lost on those films:

Live by Night: 75M (officially reported by Variety) http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-live-by-night-flop-1201971025/

The House: 46.7M

CHiPs: 23.3M

Unforgettable: 10.2M

Fist Fight: 8.9M

The profits from IT and Annabelle Creation alone are more than enough to cover those losses. Dunkirk even with it's backend with Nolan is going to make a nice profit, incredible considering it was considered a risk.