WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

6 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Force Awakens wasn't THAT surprising since it was Star Wars. Get Out and Deadpool where more surprising than that and Wonder Woman for me anyway.

I remember the thursday preview number coming in and being completely floored, then a 3.77 multiplier after all was said and done.... 

Maybe my expectations were way below everyone else's, idk.

11 minutes ago, MattW said:

I think IT  is in the top 5 domestic box office stories since I started paying attention, summer 2013.  

1/2:     American Sniper/Force Awakens

3/4/5:  IT/Wonder Woman/Jurassic World

5-10:

Deadpool

Frozen

Gravity

Get Out

Catching Fire

Other notables: (no particular order)

Furious 7

Pets

Jungle Book

Zootopia

Inside Out

GotG

Notable negative stories: (no order)

47 Ronin

King Arthur

Fantastic Four

Gods of Egypt

Blackhat, (esp China ;) )

Lone Ranger

RIPD

I think these rankings should be based on what percentage of people predicted the DOM total.

For some these moves, like Get Out, it was zero percent.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Well well well...looks like Ms. Lawrence has no boxoffice draw unless she is packaged perfectly. Red Sparrow will be a real test for her.

No one has star power these days except probably Leo DiCaprio. It's about the established brands and franchises.

Edited by babz06

Personally am pretty opimistic on both Kingsman and Ninjago.  Chance that both top HT2 opening and rooting for it to happen.  I'm not seeing the "lack of hype" on Kingsman that others are mentioning...pretty excited as are people around me.  Ninjago actually seems decent and might be the first kids movie that adults will also tolerate in several months.  I also think although Batman certainly helped Lego Batman I think it was much moreso a "Lego movie" crowd.   I'm a huge Batman fan that didn't watch it...and no one in my comic book movie viewing group cared about it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

Curious to see Di Caprio "draw" with a movie that scores F

true. but to be fair both Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street did score a lowly C+. Both did very well at the bo even legs wise. Wolf of Wall Street kept on going even after the holidays and Shutter Island did 3.1x.

Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Those who are glad mother! is bombing need to realize what this means to Hollywood producers. This encourages Hollywood to make their films safer so general audiences can embrace it. You can call mother! a lazy allegory all you want, but it's a movie that's getting people to talk, think, and show passionate love and hate. We NEED more stuff like mother! to be released by the big six.

mother! is a bad movie. We need challenging films that are actually good, like Nightcrawler, Arrival and Hell or High Water. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:

The problem is that previews were low too . no excuse for that.  plus it had great reviews. so why the low previews

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, XO21 said:

But, by definition, wouldn't it never be F?  I mean, Tom Cruise has been in some horrid movies, but I don't think he's ever scored an F just b/c his fans (of which I will admit to being one, especially of his 80's-90's and MI work) will never score his movies that low after leaving.  I mean, he is the "movie star" prototype of the past gen that all others of the current gen are trying to achieve:)...if they want to be "the" draw, don't they need to meet his standards (or close)?

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1