Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

That Batman Trailer makes me shudder...

This Avengers Trailer is also lol

I wonder something around 2012 or 2013 changed for trailers, anyone know?

Like I remember Iron Man 3 trailer was super serious. 

Looking back at phase one solo trailers. TFA is the only one that ends on a joke after the super serious approach. IM2 is in reverse, but that's in line with what the movie was initially going for. IM3 was an intended misdirect.

Trout should thank Harper every day for his contract.  The public lobbying obviously forced the Angels hand, and they actually ended up paying into the "stupid" level category to make up for CA vs PA tax effects and Trout's desire to play for PA - had to overpay to keep him.  

12 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I cant sleep so ive just decided to start watching The Sopranos.

10 Episodes in. Pretty good stuff so far. But damns the show has a lot of episodes lol.

Only one of the best TV shows ever. I usually do a binge watch at least 1-2 times a year.

Image result for tony soprano gif

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Trout should thank Harper every day for his contract.  The public lobbying obviously forced the Angels hand, and they actually ended up paying into the "stupid" level category to make up for CA vs PA tax effects and Trout's desire to play for PA - had to overpay to keep him.  

The fact that he's that much better than Harper probably also factored into it a little. ;)

We really are talking about Bonds/Mantle/Mays level talent here.

• Like 1

I mean, I might grant a fear on the Angels side when it comes to the allure of playing in Philadelphia.  But the tax angle?  I just think that's a completely overblown talking point, usually trotted out as an excuse for coming up short.  Not that it isn't a factor.  Just not to the level some make it out to be.

Frankly 12/430 sounds about right.  I seem to recall hearing 400m being thrown around when discussing a possible Trout free agent sign...

*checks*

Looks like it's a 10 year/360m extension starting in 2021, with the two years left on his deal being untouched. So yeah, I don't think the tax angle was THAT big of a concern.  Getting the extension done NOW to avoid the circus/possibility to go to Philly?  Sure, that seems very likely. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, I might grant a fear on the Angels side when it comes to the allure of playing in Philadelphia.  But the tax angle?  I just think that's a completely overblown talking point, usually trotted out as an excuse for coming up short.  Not that it isn't a factor.  Just not to the level some make it out to be.

Frankly 12/430 sounds about right.  I seem to recall hearing 400m being thrown around when discussing a possible Trout free agent sign...

*checks*

Looks like it's a 10 year/360m extension starting in 2021, with the two years left on his deal being untouched. So yeah, I don't think the tax angle was THAT big of a concern.  Getting the extension done NOW to avoid the circus/possibility to go to Philly?  Sure, that seems very likely. :)

I will say, it makes Harper look cheap - 13 years at $330M is a way better deal than 12 years at $430M...the pressure is gonna be on Trout to continue to show he's worth a full level super-star above anyone else in the league:)...especially in future playoffs games, where he could just as likely be a Mr. October as a Mr. Go Away (I admit, Harper is still also TBD here, b/c he had only 1 good playoff year...and a few poor ones...but he has one good one...and Trout still doesn't:)...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I will say, it makes Harper look cheap - 13 years at $330M is a way better deal than 12 years at $430M

It's been thought for a while that whatever Trout got might become the new 250m A-Rod contract and set something of a ceiling for contracts for a loooooong time.  A-Rod's deal in 2000 was 10/252, IIRC.  Took quite a while for any contract to come even close to that, in absolute OR AAV.

Probably amend that to whatever Mookie Betts gets as well. I do think we're probably reaching a new plateau that won't be challenged for quite a while.

The only thing that gives me a slight pause is that the AAV of Trout's contract isn't precedent shattering.  He was getting 34.1m per year and is now getting 35.8m.  Checking about Greinke is getting 34.4m and Arenado just got 32.5.

Might be a tad more room for growth then.  OTOH, very long contracts are getting rarer and rarer, so dunno.

Be interesting to see what Betts is able to get.

Especially if a rumor starts floating about that the Yankees would be willing to break the bank for him.  Curse of the Bettsino anyone? :ph34r:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Don't want to jinx it, but I've had four good dates with a girl and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. I know I'll fuck up the whole thing soon enough but right now it's a pretty cool situation for once.

I been stuck in an inverse situation where the girl I dated at first seemed way more paranoid she will mess up and make me lose interest.

it was a very strange experience as its usually the other way around. 

As a Mariner fan, I am so not looking forward to the prospect of seeing my favorite team play 19 games against Mike Trout for each of the next dozen years. Then again, I'm also not really looking forward to seeing them play any given game this year, so...

And as a secondary Red Sox fan, how 'bout we don't bring up the prospect of Mookie Betts in pinstripes, m'kay? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I’ve just been told that in a couple of hours Disney will own 50% of Mr Bean.

Random but it kinda puts things in perspective.

51 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You mean in a few hours Dr. Frankenfurter is a Disney Princess™?

In a few hours, we're going to have so many new Disney classics: Dude, Where's My Car?, Fat Albert, Big Momma's House, Michael Fassbender's Schlong, Epic Movie, Babylon A.D., All About Steve, Machete, Snatched, Narnia...again, Monkeybone, and Phat Girlz. To quote another Disney film, Can You Imagine That?

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Sad 1