Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

HOOOOOOLY CHRIST!!!!! 

I knew he was bad watching the game, but I didn't realize it was gonna be this bad (though missing a obvious strike that would have had a strikeout and end the inning instead of what happened which was walk in a run should have been a clue that a terribad scorecard is on the way).

Amazingly enough, it's only the fourth worst game this year when it comes to "overall factor":

Just utterly terrible.

@4815162342 @TwoMisfits @Webslinger @Plain Old Tele 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

HOOOOOOLY CHRIST!!!!! 

I knew he was bad watching the game, but I didn't realize it was gonna be this bad (though missing a obvious strike that would have had a strikeout and end the inning instead of what happened which was walk in a run should have been a clue that a terribad scorecard is on the way).

Amazingly enough, it's only the fourth worst game this year when it comes to "overall factor":

Just utterly terrible.

@4815162342 @TwoMisfits @Webslinger @Plain Old Tele 

At least the Giants got a theatrical first pitch the other day

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I was always surprised Michael K. Williams never became a bigger name considering he was always a magnetic screen presence. Such a shame. RIP.

He does have an iconic character which is a lot more than most actors. I think the issue was that he never got that big movie role which would catapult him to the next level. Feels like he would make a great villain in one of the many franchises we have going now.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He does have an iconic character which is a lot more than most actors. I think the issue was that he never got that big movie role which would catapult him to the next level. Feels like he would make a great villain in one of the many franchises we have going now.

He was originally supposed to be the villain in Solo but got replaced with Paul Bettany when the director switch happened. Not that being in Solo would've helped his career i guess.

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

In happier news, for anyone watching the US Open, that last 19 minute game between Djokovic and Brooksby was epic...Brooksby is my new favorite player and this match is must see!

I started watching during that game. Really good stuff but Brooksby will not be going deep in slams with that serve. He hits great groundstrokes and moves really well but having to fight for every single service game eventually broke him physically. 

Djokovic-Berrettini will be a fun QF though but I don't think Berrettini has a varied enough game to win it. Zverev and Medvedev (if they make it that far) will be the big tests for Novak. Those should be some really good matches. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

I started watching during that game. Really good stuff but Brooksby will not be going deep in slams with that serve. He hits great groundstrokes and moves really well but having to fight for every single service game eventually broke him physically. 

Djokovic-Berrettini will be a fun QF though but I don't think Berrettini has a varied enough game to win it. Zverev and Medvedev (if they make it that far) will be the big tests for Novak. Those should be some really good matches. 

He's the 1st American I can remember with a game and no serve - we've had so many guys since Roddick with a serve and no game, so he's a breath of fresh air.

Roddick texted and said he could get the guy a serve in 4 days...I don't believe it, but if he gets one by the Aussie Open, or even a better one (since Nadal took a few years to go from terrible to good to great), he could actually put men's tennis here back on the map:)...

PS - Yeah, Korda has also shown game, but he's been hurt/sick a lot this year, so I don't want all my eggs in one basket...and I haven't seen anyone play Novak this year so tough for almost 2 sets in the majors before breaking down (and the way he crushed Novak in the 1st set)...(except Tsitsipas, but he flat choked, and if you do that, you may never beat Novak b/c you'll never forget choking)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

He's the 1st American I can remember with a game and no serve - we've had so many guys since Roddick with a serve and no game, so he's a breath of fresh air.

Roddick texted and said he could get the guy a serve in 4 days...I don't believe it, but if he gets one by the Aussie Open, or even a better one (since Nadal took a few years to go from terrible to good to great), he could actually put men's tennis here back on the map:)...

PS - Yeah, Korda has also shown game, but he's been hurt/sick a lot this year, so I don't want all my eggs in one basket...and I haven't seen anyone play Novak this year so tough for almost 2 sets in the majors before breaking down (and the way he crushed Novak in the 1st set)...(except Tsitsipas, but he flat choked, and if you do that, you may never beat Novak b/c you'll never forget choking)...

Oh yeah if he gets a serve he will be top 10. I was shocked to see someone who was able to outgrind Novak in long rallies like that. More impressed with him than when I saw Korda at Wimbledon. 

On the bolded, I actually don't think I agree. There have been quite a few players who have given Djokovic a tough first couple of sets before he pulls away (Nadal in the first 3 sets at FO, Berrettini in the final 2 at FO, Shapo at Wimbledon, there were several at the AO, though I wasn't able to watch those to see if they were as close as the scoreline seemed). Musetti actually played very similar to this (though his playstyle was very different ofc) where he played lights out the first two sets and then fell apart physically. The difference, for me, is more in the way he plays. He plays very high percentage tennis and is able to win an impressive amount of points without having to rely on massive weapons. The others (Rafa excepted but that is an unfair comparison) mostly relied on redlining which is not sustainable. He has really strong fundamentals. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cap said:

Is anyone else watching AEW? I just finished All Out and am All Out Freaking Out. 

Of course. Been watching it since the pre-AEW All In PPV. All the way through Double or Nothing, and the launch of Dynamite. They have a lot of momentum right now. Hopefully they don't do TNA or WCW like mistakes. 

All Out 2021 might have been the best top to bottom wrestling PPV since Mania 17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Of course. Been watching it since the pre-AEW All In PPV. All the way through Double or Nothing, and the launch of Dynamite. They have a lot of momentum right now. Hopefully they don't do TNA or WCW like mistakes. 

All Out 2021 might have been the best top to bottom wrestling PPV since Mania 17.

I kept hearing about them but wasn’t paying attention. Then Punk crawled out of his grave. He and Danielson are the two that got me hooked one wrestling. And when they stopped I kind of stopped. But now it looks like I am back in. All Out was ridiculous. That cage match was a masterclass.