Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

what the fuck is Bird Box doing as one of the nominees there?

Pretty sure one of the requirements for this group is that the movies are about or star people over 50. Probably explains why Melissa McCarthy didn't get nominated while it was nominated for (and won) other categories.

Speaking of minority group awards, I saw a news article that Madonna will be awarded at the GLAAD awards and thought they had announced their nominees when they rescinded Bohemian Rhapsody following the Singer article but it turns out it was just withdrawn from consideration and they announced the nominees a few days after that. The nominees for Best Hollywood Movie there are...Blockers, Crazy Rich Asians, Deadpool 2, The Girl in the Spider's Web, and Love, Simon. You know Hollywood still has improvements to make in representation if a mediocre movie that flopped at the box office is able to make it in with relative ease (even if it was helped by BoRap getting disqualified).

Modern Family is ending next year with its 11th season. Feels like the end of an era of with both that and The Big Bang Theory about to be gone. Then again, both of these shows grew stale a long time ago, especially MF which has been running on fumes for 5 years now.

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The nominees for Best Hollywood Movie there are...Blockers, Crazy Rich Asians, Deadpool 2, The Girl in the Spider's Web, and Love, Simon. You know Hollywood still has improvements to make in representation if a mediocre movie that flopped at the box office is able to make it in with relative ease (even if it was helped by BoRap getting disqualified).

Well there is also those voters choice because it is apparently the year with the most acclaimed at the Oscar lgbt inclusive title:

https://www.glaad.org/blog/record-number-lgbtq-inclusive-films-nominated-best-picture-91st-annual-academy-awards

More than half of Best Picture nominees this year were LGBTQ-inclusive. They included The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Vice, and Green Book. This marks the most LGBTQ-inclusive films that have ever been nominated in Best Picture category in a single year. 

I mean really good movie that were nice success like Green Book or divise but considered great by many like Vice movie to pick from. (I imagine The favourite is europeen production and not hollywood).

The Girl in the Spider's Web got in I imagine because of the terrible producer's track record with sexual assault of A Star Is Born, because of Borap director, because of Vice subject matter/protagonist, because of Green Book writers/who the movie used has the lead, etc... etc.... Quality/quantity was quite high to pick from if they would have not looked at the behind the scene involved with the projects people.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Modern Family is ending next year with its 11th season. Feels like the end of an era of with both that and The Big Bang Theory about to be gone. Then again, both of these shows grew stale a long time ago, especially MF which has been running on fumes for 5 years now.

Dont know anything about Modern Family but gosh Big Bang Theory is terrible. Dont understand how america finds it so funny.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Well there is also those voters choice because it is apparently the year with the most acclaimed at the Oscar lgbt inclusive title:

https://www.glaad.org/blog/record-number-lgbtq-inclusive-films-nominated-best-picture-91st-annual-academy-awards

More than half of Best Picture nominees this year were LGBTQ-inclusive. They included The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Vice, and Green Book. This marks the most LGBTQ-inclusive films that have ever been nominated in Best Picture category in a single year. 

I mean really good movie that were nice success like Green Book or divise but considered great by many like Vice movie to pick from. (I imagine The favourite is europeen production and not hollywood).

The Girl in the Spider's Web got in I imagine because of the terrible producer's track record with sexual assault of A Star Is Born, because of Borap director, because of Vice subject matter/protagonist, because of Green Book writers/who the movie used has the lead, etc... etc.... Quality/quantity was quite high to pick from if they would have not looked at the behind the scene involved with the projects people.

what do they mean by "LGBT-inclusive"? That they include one character thats gay?

I don't recall anything in A Star Is Born being LGBT?

Vice is kind of pushing "LGBT inclusive". but again depends how you define inclusive.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

what do they mean by "LGBT-inclusive"? That they include one character thats gay?

I don't recall anything in A Star Is Born being LGBT?

Vice is kind of pushing "LGBT inclusive". but again depends how you define inclusive.

Vice storyline about the gay daughter was a somewhat important part of the movie (bigger than Crazy Rich Asian no ? I do not remember much), a Star is Born is probably because of the group of friends at the gay bar with the drags performer, that show up against later in the movie if I remember correctly.

Anyway I am going on with their own list of what that very same organisation they called LGBT inclusive, I would imagine must have been eligible for that category, not someone else list.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Vice storyline about the gay daughter was a somewhat important part of the movie (bigger than Crazy Rich Asian no ? I do not remember much), a Star is Born is probably because of the group of friends at the gay bar with the drags performer, that show up against later in the movie if I remember correctly.

Anyway I am going on with their own list of what that very same organisation they called LGBT inclusive, I would imagine must have been eligible for that category, not someone else list.

yeah it was an important part of the film, I don't know that that makes it a gay-friendly film(?) or whatever they're claiming.

If they just mean a film that is not outright offensive to LGBT people then I would think all nominees (probably) would fit into that.

You're right, theres a drag show in ASIB.